Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Two - A Special Birthday

September 12, 1357, the Hall at Great Smials was teeming with Tooks and many other relations, including Bagginses, Brandybucks, Chubbs, Grubbs, and the like. Today there would be a grand celebration of a certain Took’s birthday: Isengar Took, turning 95 years old today.

Ribbons hung from the walls in brightly colored greens, reds, blues, and yellows. Rows of lanterns were strung along the ceiling. The chandelier that hung in the center of the hall shone brilliantly as the small crystal ornaments shimmered with the candlelight. Thain Fortinbras II welcomed each guest personally at the huge double doors, then were ushered by young tweenaged lads to their assigned tables for the elaborate feast.

Adalgrim, his wife, Astora Goodchild, and three of their five children arrived from Whitwell promptly at four o’clock in the afternoon, as it would be an early dinner for the guests and Honoree. A tween-aged Paladin Took craned his neck to see over to the next table where his closest friend, Adelard, also known as Addie, sat with his family.

“Ow!” Paladin grasped his ribs where his older sister, Opal, had jabbed her elbow. “What did you do that for?”

“Because it’s not polite to gape!” said Opal. “Tell him mother.”

Astora only sighed, “It’s not polite to gape, son. By the way, Addie is sitting between his father and cousin Siggi. Do you see him?”

Paladin turned further around in his chair. “Yes! Thank you, mother. May I go and greet him now?”

“Not until later,” she answered. “Dinner is just about to start.”

At that moment, the dinner bell chimed and all became quiet. The expectant faces of the guests were soon rewarded by the sight of a wheel chair pushed by a young attendant as the Thain entered the Hall walking behind them. Thunderous applause filled the room and everyone stood to their feet as Isengar was wheeled over to the head table.

Paladin noticed his aging granduncle’s sad smile and wondered at it. It surprised Paladin that no one else seemed to take note of the birthday hobbit’s demeanor. Then again, it probably should not have; everyone regarded Isengar as an odd soul, as much as Bilbo even. Both had gone on adventures, and consequentially were considered very unnatural hobbits.  Neither Paladin nor Adelard thought this; in fact, Paladin thought it was the thrill of adventure that distinguished his dear cousin and uncle from the rest of the hobbits.

When Paladin was a young child, he would spend weeks at a time with his dear old uncle while the rest of his family was trying to set up the farmstead and crop fields in Whitwell. Adalgrim Took had decided that Great Smials was becoming a bit overcrowded for his growing family and set out for the village of Whitwell to farm the land he inherited from his own father, Hildigrim, upon his death. It was mostly during the growing season or the harvest that Paladin would stay with Uncle Isengar; the times when a small six or seven year old lad would be underfoot, while his older sisters and parents pitched in to augment the hired workers. Adalgrim was rather close to his Uncle Isengar ever since he was a mere lad himself and worried about the old hobbit being lonely. Adalgrim felt he was tackling two dilemmas at once; keeping his young, inquisitive son occupied while the rest of the family was busy elsewhere, and then "lending" his little lad as short-term company to his dear uncle.

Isengar’s wife had died young, and their one and only child had married and moved to the Northfarthing as soon as she was considered old enough for marriage. Blossom detested the jokes and stares she received from other folks. She was the daughter of the adventurous hobbit whom she felt embellished his lies whenever he had the chance. She was relieved when her cousin Bilbo returned from his own adventures; the stares and derisive remarks were now aimed at him.

As Paladin stood applauding the birthday hobbit, he caught sight of his friend, Addie; he, too, perceived old Isengar’s mood and returned a look of concern. He and Addie would corner Uncle Isengar after the dinner to find out what was bothering him.

~ ~ ~

After the feast was over and the dancing begun, Paladin and Adelard watched for an opportunity when they could find quiet time to talk with their uncle. So far, his time was monopolized by family members congratulating him on his age--and for staying away from adventures for the past sixty-one years (Isengar did go on a second adventure; telling everyone he went to Rivendell when he was thirty-four years old).

It was nearly midnight when Isengar was finally left alone. Adelard nudged Paladin awake from where they sat at a distance. “What are you doing falling asleep? They’ve finally left him alone; now it’s our turn.”

“It’s the beginning of the harvest, Addie,” Paladin replied. “It was a long day yesterday. But I don’t suppose you would know about that now, would you?” he smirked.

“Come on, clever lad,” said Adelard, pulling his friend up by his shirt collar, “or I shan’t deliver your next love note to Tina!”

Normally a witty old hobbit and full of spunk, Paladin saw up close just how subdued his uncle truly was. But as soon as he saw his two favorite lads approaching, Isengar ventured a smile. “Hullo!” he said, holding his arms out to greet each tween with a hug and a kiss. “How nice to see that you both have come to an old codger’s birthday.”

Adelard put his arm around the old hobbit, “We wouldn’t have missed it for anything, Uncle.”

“Where is Bart--my young Clayhanger attendant?” asked Isengar.

The cousins scanned around the Hall. Paladin saw the attendant engaged in conversation with his sisters Opal and Esmeralda. “He’s occupied at the moment. Why do you ask? Is there something you need?”

“No, no, my boy,” Isengar replied. “I just want to make certain that he is occupied.” He motioned for his nephews to lean in closer. “Let us three find some place where it’s peaceful so we can talk without interruption.” He winked; this usually indicated to the tweens that their uncle was up to no good.

Adelard was the first to his feet, “Good!” he said, smiling. “I know of place where we can hide--er, I mean, get away from the masses.” He turned the wheel chair around, and with Paladin crowding the chair to camouflage their escape, the trio headed out the double doors, down the long hallway towards the back tunnels.

* * * * * *

“Wait a minute!” Pippin interrupted his father, tugging on his shirtsleeve, “Where are the presents? Didn’t Uncle Isengar give you a present?”

“Yes, but it’s not important, son,” Paladin replied.

“What did he give you, Uncle?” Merry grinned. “A lump of coal?” Snickers were heard from the other children.

“Listen to the story, lad!” There’s always a heckler in the crowd, thought Paladin. “Anyway, as I was saying, Isengar, Addie, and myself all sat under the veranda…”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List