Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Disclaimer: Hobbits are not mine, but JRR Tolkien’s.

Characters: Many! Paladin Took, Pippin Took (5), Merry Brandybuck (13), Pervinca (10), Pimpernel (16), and Pearl Took (20), Adelard Took, Bilbo Baggins, Isengar Took, and Gandalf. Possibly some other well-known characters as the story flows.

Summary: It is a cold, rainy November day in S.R. 1395, and the children have been at each other’s throats. To ease the day, and his nerves, Paladin tells a story. One that has never been told before.

Note:  I have separated timelines with ***** asterisks, and scenes within timelines have ~~~ dashes, or are separated by new chapters.

The Storyteller

Chapter One - Story Time

“Papa!” Pervinca pierced the room with her scream.

Paladin cringed at the sudden pain in his ears while his small son jumped onto the couch where he was sitting. He felt Pippin would have melted into the crevice between his back and the couch if it were possible.

Pervinca chased her brother to where their father sat reading a very thick book. The November rains began shortly after Merry arrived for his visit a few days ago and hadn’t stopped since. “Papa, Pippin keeps taking our draught pieces!”

“It was my turn!” A muffled voice was heard snuggling up underneath Paladin’s arm.

Without a word, Paladin placed the bookmark within the leaves of the book then set it down on the tea table in front of him. He proceeded to pick up his small son, turning him upside-down until five black and white draughtsmen fell out of child's shirt.

“It was not your turn, Pippin,” said Merry, picking up the game pieces. “Pervinca and I were still playing.”

The now up-righted five-year-old shot back, “You took too long!”

Paladin sat back down on the couch and sighed; he knew he was not going to get any reading done while the children were trapped indoors. But the recurring arguments were getting on his last nerve. Fortunately, his two older daughters found activities quieter in nature, such as sewing, or letter writing.

“Father!” Pearl came rushing into the sitting room. “Pimpernel will not stop humming! I can't count my stitches while I knit!"

Pimpernel was quick to argue her own point of view. “I'm writing a letter to Cousin Sadabelle--I happen to like humming while I write.  All Miss Pearl needs to do is shut her bedroom door."

“It comes through the cracks!” said Pearl. “And it's making me crack!"

“Father!” Pimpernel put her hands on her hips. "I have every right to..."

"Spit it out, Pippin!" cried Pervinca to her little brother.  "Papa!  He's eating my draughts pieces!"

The bickering rose to a cresendo until the words swirled into a pool of cacophany.  Paladin rubbed his temples and groaned; his head felt it was about ready to burst. Eglantine had not been feeling very well, so after breakfast, Paladin talked his wife into taking a little sleep, telling her that he would mind the children for a few hours. Now he was almost ruing his actions earlier. But no, his Tina needed her rest.

suddenly, Paladin shouted, “All of you--on the mat in front of the fireplace!” The children froze in place; no one spoke, no one moved. “Now!” he added with fervour. At once, all five children scrambled to find a comfortable place on the mat, grabbing couch pillows along the way for comfort. They had come to know this routine well in the past few days.

Paladin took a deep breath--feeling a bit more in control now. He took his pipe from the top of his desk and lit it, using a long, thin piece of kindling wood from the box near the hearth. “I am going to tell you all a story,” he said, puffing on his pipe, composure returning to his frame of mind. He took a large cushion, threw it down at the edge of the ring of children, then sat upon it. Paladin found it difficult to enrapture story-listeners while sitting high up in a chair when they sat low on the floor. For this endeavour, Paladin would require every grain of storytelling talent he had in his being for this arduous task.

“What sort of story is it, Uncle Paladin?” Merry ventured, beside Pippin. He grinned, “Is it dragons and trolls?”

“Yes! Yes!” Pippin shouted, clapping his hands.

“Shhh, Pippin,” Paladin held his finger to his lips. “Your momma needs her rest, son. She’s very weary.” Then he yawned, garnering laughter from the children.

“No trolls!” Pervinca protested. “I want to hear how you and momma fell in love.”

Boos and hisses from the lads.

“Careful, lads,” said Pimpernel “There are three lasses and only two of you. I think I should fancy hearing the story myself. ”

Pearl was quick to point out the drawback on that idea. “But we just heard it yesterday, Pim.”

I shall be the one to pick the story today,” said Paladin firmly. “The one I have chosen to tell contains adventure,” he saw the lads smiling, “and a love story as well.” The lasses also smiled. “And this is the very first time I am telling it to anyone.”

Gasps of disbelief! A story that has never been told before?

“Now…where to begin?” said Paladin, pondering his next words.  He drew Pippin onto his lap while Merry sat to his right and then Pervinca nearest to the fireplace.  Pearl and Pimpernel to Paladin's left. All six hobbits relaxed in front of the warm hearth and fell at once into the story. “It was September 12, 1357, the Hall at Great Smials...”





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List