Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

As the Gentle Rain  by Lindelea

Chapter 46. Slow but Steady

The healers kept Ferdibrand in bed for the next week. Ulrich sat with him much of the time, except when Pippin called him away to allow Ferdi and Nell some time alone together. Bergil set aside a room for Ulrich’s use when he was not attending Ferdi or Pippin, locking him in to sleep with a guard stationed outside. He was, after all, still a ruffian.

Towards the end of the week a troubled Cuillon met with the other jurors. ‘I would save him if I could,’ he said, after detailing his observations of Ulrich over the past days.

 ‘Is there a precedent?’ Rion said. ‘Have you ever heard of one sentenced to die who was later reprieved?’

 ‘Sentenced... no,’ Cuillon said. ‘Reprieved before final sentence was pronounced, yes. Captain Beregond, for example, was guilty of crimes leading of old to death, and yet the King found a way to save his life while satisfying the law.’

 ‘Reinadan is admittedly guilty of the crimes he was accused of,’ Turamir said slowly. ‘He deserves the penalty; he has earned it.’

 ‘Yes, but Ulrich...’ Cuillon said in frustration.

 ‘The law leaves us no “out”,’ Turamir said, and Rion nodded. ‘If he were found innocent; if new evidence came to light to show that he was not guilty, but that someone else...’

 ‘But he is guilty,’ Rion said. ‘He does not protest his innocence.’

 ‘No,’ Cuillon said dryly. ‘It seems we have condemned an honourable Man.

***

 ‘You are looking much improved,’ Elessar said to Ferdibrand when the week was out.

 ‘Am I?’ Ferdi said listlessly. ‘Such good news.’

 ‘Come,’ the King said. ‘Sit up and swing your legs over. We’ll give standing a try.’

 ‘You don’t mean it,’ Ferdi said, looking from King to Ulrich.
 
 ‘Ah but I do,’ the King said. ‘We don’t mean for you to take root in the bed, you know.’

 ‘Could have fooled me,’ Ferdi said. Ulrich and Elessar steadied him from either side as he pulled his feet from under the coverlet and braced them against the floor. The hobbit looked down in surprise. ‘Well now,’ he said. ‘They appear more like proper feet every day.’ The curls singed away in the herdsmen’s hut were growing back; the tops of Ferdi’s feet were now covered with a short but thick carpet of woolly curls.

 ‘How does that feel?’ Elessar said when they had him on his feet.

 ‘Dizzy,’ Ferdi admitted. He had committed himself to an honest course, after all. ‘It is a common problem when one stays in a bed for days on end; the body forgets how to go upright.’

 ‘It is why you never let the healers keep you in bed for very long,’ Ulrich said.

 ‘You have the right of it,’ Ferdi said stoutly. ‘I have no desire to forget how to stand and walk.’ He swayed but the Men held him steady.

 ‘I think that is enough for the moment,’ Elessar said. If not for Ulrich’s sake, Ferdi would have protested, would have insisted on walking a few steps, would have shaken off the assisting hands. As it was, he sank down on the bed and wiped at his face with a trembling hand that he did not fight to keep steady as he might have under usual circumstances.

 ‘I think you are right,’ he said. ‘My head swims most alarmingly.’

Ulrich poured him a glass of water and urged him to drink. Ferdi allowed them to cosset him, to tuck him back in the bed, to bring him a light meal intended to replenish the energies he’d spent by his brief effort.

When the Men had left him alone with Nell, the latter said, ‘How are you doing, in truth, my love?’

 ‘I am doing my best,’ Ferdi said. ‘I am being truthful with the healers and not fighting them. I am letting them wrap me in cotton wool and cosset me to their hearts desire. My only worry is...’

 ‘What?’ Nell said, taking his hand.

 ‘My only worry is,’ Ferdi continued wryly, ‘I might just get used to it, and then where would I be?’

 ‘In bed,’ Nell said with a kiss, ‘healing and gathering strength.’

 ‘Aye,’ Ferdi said glumly.

 ‘They said they’d let you take a few steps on the morrow,’ Nell said. ‘Every day a bit of progress.’

 ‘And what of Merry?’ Ferdi said. ‘Has he found aught?’

 ‘No,’ Nell said, ‘Not that I’ve heard. He has only that prince of Rohan to help him. Pip tried to send others to his aid but he turned them away, for he feared that he’d miss what he was looking for in a general commotion.’

 ‘Between us we’ll see Ulrich hanged yet,’ Ferdi said gloomily. ‘Me with my slow but steady progress, and him with his steady but slow progress.’

***

Next day young Frodovar Bolger kissed his mother and shook the hand of his father. ‘Wish me luck,’ he said solemnly.

 ‘You’ve made us very happy, my son,’ Freddy said. Melilot beamed at his side.

 ‘Not quite yet,’ Frodovar replied.

 ‘O yes,’ Freddy insisted. ‘No matter what my cousin the Thain should say, I maintain that you have made a wise choice.’

 ‘I only hope the Thain agrees,’ his oldest son said fervently.

Melilot laughed. ‘How could he not?’ she said firmly. ‘You are one of the finest young hobbits living in the Southlands, in my opinion.’

***

 ‘...one of the finest young hobbits I’ve had the pleasure to make my acquaintance,’ Pippin said. Glancing at Diamond, he added, ‘And my wife is in complete agreement.’

Diamond smiled as she refilled Frodovar’s teacup. ‘I’ll just be a moment,’ she said, setting down the pot and leaving them.

 ‘You are both young,’ the Thain said, leaning back and fixing Frodovar with a keen eye. ‘I assume you were thinking of a handfasting now, and a period of visiting between families until you are old enough to marry.’

 ‘I had hoped for correspondence at least,’ Frodovar said.

 ‘Think of the forests that would give up their lives to sustain such,’ Pippin said with a twinkle. ‘Visits back and forth, to my way of thinking, are to be preferred. You might spend half the year in Tookland, and she might spend...’

As Forget-me-not entered with her mother, the Thain rose in greeting, kissing the tween on the cheek and pulling her to his side to face Frodovar. ‘Well my lass,’ he said. ‘Are you in agreement? Frodovar here has asked for your hand, and I’m of a mind to give it to him.’

 ‘Yes, Da,’ she said at once, for Diamond had informed her of Frodovar’s visit and the purpose thereof.

 ‘Well then,’ Pippin said, rubbing his hands together. ‘There’s no time like the present. Ferdibrand stood up for the first time yesterday, and I do believe he walked a few steps today... if he were to ride a pony down to the wildflower meadow outside the great Gate we could have the handfasting this afternoon.’

 ‘This afternoon!’ Frodovar said in wonder.

 ‘Yes, go now and tell your parents,’ Pippin said. ‘Let us live up to our reputation for hastiness!’

Frodovar exited in a rush as Diamond turned to her daughter. ‘Go now,’ she said, ‘Tell the rest of the family. We’ll make all the other arrangements.’ The tween nodded, her eyes shining, and went to obey.

 ‘Well then,’ Pippin said, putting an arm around his wife.

Diamond’s smile had faded. ‘So far away,’ she murmured.

 ‘But you see, my love,’ Pippin said sensibly. ‘We’ll get them used to travelling back and forth before the wedding, and they’ll be more amenable to spending part of each year in Tookland... we’ll see more of Forget-me-not, likely, this way than if she married some hobbit away to the South Farthing.’ He laid a kiss in Diamond’s palm before releasing her hand. ‘I will go to inform the King.’

***

Elessar was talking with Ferdibrand and Ulrich, for he often visited during the noontide meal.

 ‘Ah, Strider!’ Pippin called, entering. ‘Just the Man I wished to see.’

 ‘What is it?’ the King asked curiously.

 ‘Congratulations are in order,’ Pippin said. ‘My daughter is to be joined with Fredegar’s son.’

 ‘Indeed! Congratulations!’ Elessar said. ‘When is the happy occasion?’

 ‘This afternoon, on the Pelennor,’ Pippin said. ‘Lovely wildflowers peeping amongst the grasses, even this late in the year.’

In answer to the King’s protests, Pippin held up restraining hands. ‘You may surround us with all the guardsmen of the City if you wish, Strider,’ he said. ‘Even though nothing has been heard of the madman in a week, and he has undoubtedly left the White City for greener pastures, your guardsmen will be welcome as witnesses, should their swords prove to be unnecessary.’ He eyed the King narrowly. ‘On the other hand, I have the distinct impression that the guardsmen have been more relaxed, the past few days, and I heard rumour to the effect that the Haradrim have been warned to be watchful.’

 ‘You heard rumour?’ Elessar said.

Pippin laughed. ‘Tooks are great ones for gossip,’ he said. ‘We live and die by the Talk, you know. It is said that a body was found on the Harad Road at some distance from Minas Tirith. Perhaps our madman has moved on?’

 ‘Perhaps,’ the King said cautiously. ‘And so you wish to dance upon the Pelennor this day?’

 ‘The sooner the better,’ Pippin said. ‘Of course you and all your family are welcome to join the celebration, and anyone else who wishes. The more, the merrier!’

 ‘Why so hurried?’ Ulrich asked.

Pippin lost his grin. ‘It is for Freddy’s sake,’ he said soberly. ‘I’m told he could be taken from us at any time.’

 ‘He could live another twenty years,’ Elessar said.

 ‘Or his heart could fail him this very day,’ Pippin countered. ‘Cuillon himself told me.’ He looked to Ferdi. ‘You can ride a pony down to the Pelennor, Ferdi, and sit to witness the vows if need be. You ought to be there, seeing as how you introduced them in the first place.’

 ‘Did I, now?’ Ferdi said, stroking his chin with a thoughtful air.

Ulrich laughed, having witnessed the introduction in question at the welcoming banquet on the day the hobbits arrived in Dindale. ‘You did indeed,’ he said. ‘I saw the whole thing.’

 ‘Then you are a witness!’ Ferdi said. ‘You were there from the beginning, and by rights you ought to be at the handfasting.’

 ‘What!’ Elessar said, nonplussed.

Pippin shook a finger at him. ‘Why not?’ he said. ‘You know you have a guarantee of his good behaviour, a hostage against the possibility of his escape.’

 ‘You cannot do such a thing for me...’ Ulrich began, but Pippin shook his head.

 ‘Not I,’ he said, ‘but another.’

 ‘Who?’ Ulrich said, for he had wondered long on this point.

 ‘If he wants you to know, he’ll tell you,’ Pippin said. ‘His wife knows, and though she is not in full agreement she is at least in understanding; and the King and jurors know, and that is all that is necessary at present.’ He looked hard at the former ruffian. ‘And if you stand by your honour, then no one else need ever know.’

 ‘I have no intention of trying to escape,’ Ulrich said. ‘I have no wish to resume the life of a ruffian, and that is all that would be open to me. And if you would believe me, I have no wish to cause any hobbit’s death, nor have I ever, even when I was under the cursed wizard’s spell.’

 ‘I believe you,’ Pippin said, and Ferdi echoed him.

Elessar looked from one hobbit to the other. ‘What happened to “All Men are ruffians”?’ he asked. ‘Have you changed your mind, Ferdibrand?’

 ‘Not at all,’ Ferdi said. ‘I have decided that Ulrich, here, isn’t a ruffian.’

 ‘And I?’ the King said, raising an eyebrow.

 ‘I haven’t made my mind up about you, yet,’ Ferdi said.

***

I managed to write this one more chapter while on vacation, so you get two chapters in two days... don't know when the next few updates will be as this is an impossibly busy month. For you, too? If you do read, please drop off a review to encourage the Muse to resume her story-telling... she's quite got used to being distracted by other things.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List