Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

 

'Would you care for more tea, Ferdibrand?' Diamond said with a smile.

'Thank you, Mistress,' he said politely, extending his cup. Not that he wanted more tea, mind, but it was the mannerly thing to say.

'Take a bite, Nell,' the Thain said to his sister. 'Eat, now. It won't do you any good sitting on your plate.'

'That's a fine jest, coming from you,' Pimpernel said, but she lifted a tea sandwich to her mouth, bit, and chewed without enthusiasm.

Ferdi had noticed that Pippin had eaten more than twice his usual amount, probably in an effort to spur his sister to eat. Every meal was a struggle, Rosemary had told him, and with Pimpernel nursing the babe, albeit reluctantly, they had to get as much good, wholesome food into her as possible.

Pimpernel picked up another dainty sandwich, bit into it, and dissolved into tears.

'What is it, love?' Rosemary said, putting her arm around the weeping hobbit mum.

'Cucumber sandwiches were Rudi's favourite,' she said. 'I...'

'I know,' Rosemary soothed, but Pimpernel turned on her.

'How could you know?' she demanded. 'You've still got your husband. You've still got your home.'

'Nell, you have a home as well,' Pippin began.

'Here in the Smials, you mean,' she retorted bitterly.

'No, Sister... well, yes, there will always be a welcome for you here, but you are not a prisoner. As soon as you are well, you may return to Bridgefields.'

'And who determines when I am well? You?' she said nastily.

Diamond put a hand on Pippin's arm, and, lips tight, he turned to add a few more sandwiches to his plate.

'I know it was a great shock to you, Rudi's death coming so suddenly,' she said to Pimpernel. And we are making allowances... she did not say.

'At least that way he did not suffer long,' Ferdi said.

Pimpernel rounded on him. 'And what do you know about it?' she hissed furiously.

'I... the talk was...' he said in confusion.

She measured him with a disdainful eye. 'And you listen to the talk? I should have known... the Tooks live and die for gossip.'

'May I warm up your tea, Ferdi?' Diamond broke in, and though he thought he might float away, he held out his cup to the wife of the Thain with a thankful look.

***

After tea, Ferdi found Faramir and Robin Bolger waiting in their usual meeting spot, fishing poles ready, two other little hobbits with them.

'Odovar?' he guessed. '...and Fredevar?'

'That's right!' Faramir said with a grin. 'My cousins. Though they're Bolgers, they're still a good sort.'

Odovar tackled Faramir, and the two rolled in the dust until they had sorted things out for the nonce.

'Rudivar wanted to come fishing, too,' Freddy said, 'but Mum couldn't spare him.'

'Won't let him out of her sight,' Odo muttered. 'Won't let any of us out of her sight, but Uncle Pip said he needed us to run an errand for him, and so here we are.'

'Ummm. "Thain Peregrin",' Freddy corrected his brother, surreptitiously pointing a finger at Ferdibrand.

Ferdi laughed. 'That's all right,' he said. 'I'm allowed to call him "Pip" as well.' The lads relaxed. They wouldn't have to be so formal as they might if Ferdi were not one of the Tooks of the Great Smials, or if he were a mere servant.

They walked to the stream, talking and laughing. The boys had a million questions, and Ferdi enjoyed answering each one, though sometimes he would not speak immediately, taking time to consider, turning a question over in his mind several times before fitting an answer to it. The lads were not impatient with this treatment, of course, but honoured that this important hobbit, best archer in Tookland and head of the Thain's escort, thought their questions warranted serious consideration.

It was a pleasant afternoon, though they'd caught no fish by the time they wandered back. Ferdi left them with the promise that they would fish again on the morrow.

...but on the morrow, only Faramir and Robin awaited him. At his questioning look, Robin dug in the dirt with his toe. 'They couldn't come,' he said reluctantly.

'Some Ents with wings upset Auntie Nell,' Faramir said helpfully. Robin tried to shush him but it was too late.

'Flying Ents?' Ferdi asked, bemused. He wondered what the lad had overheard this time.

'She was lecturing Odo and Freddy, and she kept talking about the bad in-flew-Ents,' Faramir said, a puzzled look on his face.

'Farry!' Robin said, his face fierce, and the younger hobbit subsided, confused, but realising that he was not supposed to be repeating that conversation.

'I see,' Ferdi said, forcing a smile, but his Bolger nephew was not fooled. He knew it was not something to discuss with Uncle Ferdi, but before breakfast the next morning, when he was able to get her alone for a moment, he had a serious talk with his mother about cousin Nell. He knew she'd be breakfasting with Nell this morning, after all, and he was sure she would know what to do.

At breakfast, Rosemary confronted Pimpernel.

'I understand you have forbidden the lads from going with Ferdibrand,' she said as she poured their tea.

'Yes,' Nell answered calmly, taking the top off little Mignonette's boiled egg. 'Now you eat that up, love,' she said.

'And why would that be?' Rosemary continued.

'Why,' Nell answered, astonished, 'he was under the ban for so long, he cannot be a good influence on the children.'

At Rosemary's shocked look, her face softened. 'I am sorry, Rose, I know he's your brother and you love him, no matter what he's done, but...'

'No matter what he's done...' Rosemary repeated faintly. 'That's just it. He did nothing, Nell. He was always upright and honourable, always as straight in his path as one of the arrows he fletches... He was put under the ban unjustly, by your father, for something your brother did!' She took hold of herself, for she was breathing hard and fighting tears.

It did not help that Ferdi's daily bouquet sat in the centre of the breakfast table, testimony to his steadfast nature.

She must not cry in front of the children; they had little enough stability in their lives at the moment, and she was supposed to be part of that prop. Rudi, Odo and Freddy were staring down at the tabletop as if they'd be able to see through it to the floor if they just looked hard enough. She took a deep breath and smiled. 'Rudi,' she said brightly. 'Would you care for light bread or the wholemeal this morning?'

Pimpernel sat staring into her teacup while Rosemary saw to the children's breakfast. She ate mechanically the food that Rosemary set before her, and nursed the babe that Heather Took brought a little later, without comment.

***

Hally joined Ferdi, awaiting the Thain's call, sitting in the morning sun in front of the stables.

'How goes it?' he asked, squatting down to see the fingers busy at their work, braiding a new set of reins for Penny's bridle.

Ferdi did not answer for a long time, longer than such a question needed, anyhow.

'What, Ferdi?' he asked, eventually.

Ferdi kept his eyes on his work. Finally he said, slowly, 'Do you think I am a bad influence on your children?'

Dumbfounded, Hally stared at his brother-in-love.

Ferdi looked up. 'Do you?' he repeated.

Hally closed his mouth. Ferdi was serious. 'I...' he said.

Ferdi sighed, his eyes going back to his braiding. 'You can tell me the truth, won't hurt my feelings any.'

Hally found his voice. 'Wherever did you get that idea?' he asked. 'It isn't that warm, yet, or I'd say you'd got too much sun!'

Ferdi smiled grimly, but didn't look up. 'I hear it's the talk of the Tooks,' he said.

Hally huffed. 'If you were to guide your life by talk, 'twould be like walking down a dark path, shining the lantern behind. I thought you had more sense than that.'

To Hally's amazement the busy fingers stilled. He had never seen Ferdi in complete repose before, barring unconsciousness... some part of his body was always in motion.

'Ferdi?' he asked, his disquiet growing.

'Funny,' Ferdibrand murmured. 'Pimpernel said nearly the same thing to me at tea yesterday.' He looked up again at last. 'D'you think I'm a liability to Pip? He has to take me on, by tradition, for having won the tournament, but perhaps he'd be better satisfied if I left the Smials, moved to Woody End.'

Hally stared at him, wordless for the second time in as many minutes. He and Rosemary had repeatedly urged Ferdi to leave Tuckborough, move in with them, but not this way...

'Ferdi,' he said at last, 'I don't know what kind of talk you've been listening to, but...' he took several deep breaths, 'I can tell you that if I hear any such talk, the Thain's going to have to banish me for assault with intent to do harm,' he said grimly.

He put a hand on Ferdi's arm. 'Ferdi,' he said urgently, 'you talk to the Thain. From what I've seen, he'll give you a straight answer, as to whether you're a liability or not.'

Ferdi looked at the ground and did not answer. Hally felt the anger building again--and he was a Bolger, not a Took, to fly off the handle. His was the slow, burning anger of long patience, but he was rapidly approaching the boil.

'Come along,' he said now, sharply, with a jerk at Ferdi's arm that nearly overbalanced him. It didn't matter; he rose to his feet and reached down to grab Ferdi by the shoulder. 'We're going to see the Thain this very moment.'

'We cannot interrupt him at business.'

'O yes, we can,' Hally said grimly. This is business.' He ignored Ferdi's obvious discomfort, hauling him to his feet. 'Do I have to take you by the ear, like one of my sons?' he said.

'No, I'll come along quietly,' Ferdi said.

Pippin looked up in surprise at the knock on the study door; he was deep in discussion with several farmers as to the order of harvest. 'Enter,' he called, and the door opened to show Hally and Ferdi.

'We can come back later,' Ferdi said hastily, seeing the farmers.

'O no we cannot,' Hally said grimly. To the Thain, he said, 'We need to talk.'

Pippin exchanged a glance with Reginard, who shook his head slightly. He had no idea what this was about.

The Thain rose from his desk. 'If you will excuse me, gentlehobbits,' he said. He received nods and murmurs in reply, and he said, 'My thanks. Regi, would you have tea served whilst you're waiting?'

The steward nodded, and Pippin left the study. 'We'll go to the second parlour,' he said. 'It ought to be empty, this time of day.'

Ferdi's flowers still graced the table, bright and cheerful, though by teatime they would have started to wilt and so be cleared away with the tea things.

Ferdi and Hally waited until the Thain was seated, then took the chairs he indicated.

'Now, what is this all about?' he asked.

Ferdi looked at the ground while Hally explained; he was unable to meet anyone's eyes or even to say a word. How many of the Tooks thought that there had been some truth behind the rumour, some reason behind the ban? No smoke without fire... was a popular saying.

'Talk amongst the Tooks?' Pippin said in outrage. 'Not that I've heard. What sort of nonsense is this?'

'I was under the ban, Pip,' Ferdi said at last. 'Some people might construe it that way.'

'Not anyone with any sense,' Pippin retorted. Hally watched, fascinated, the jumping of a muscle in the Thain's jaw. He'd heard of the Thain's icy anger, but this was the first he'd seen of it.

Pippin took a deep breath, mastering himself, rose from his chair, and went to Ferdi. Putting a hand on his cousin's shoulder, he said, 'Ferdi, I do not know who might put such a rumour about, but you can be sure I will find out and deal with the party. You have grounds for a charge of false accusation, you know.'

'No,' Ferdi said. 'Just to have my name cleared will be enough.'

'I will get to the bottom of this, but it would help if you told me where to start.'

Ferdi was reluctant to answer, but he could not evade the Thain's intense gaze. Finally, he answered low, 'It was your son who told me.'

Pippin stepped back, aghast. 'My son?' he said, then his face became still and very serious. 'I will get to the bottom of this,' he repeated. 'Ferdi, why don't you take the rest of the day off? Hally, take him shooting, or go for a long ride, or somewhat. I will see you back just before tea.'

Later that day, at teatime, alone with her little family in the second parlour, Pimpernel looked at the wilting flowers. She tenderly rearranged the stems so that the stronger plants would prop the weaker. Then, she turned to the boys with a bright smile. 'So,' she said. 'Are you going fishing with your cousin Ferdi this day?'

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List