Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

 

That evening, at the feast following the tournament, Ferdi could hardly eat for all the congratulations. Hally smiled and shook his head, more than once, as Ferdi was arrested with his fork halfway to his mouth by someone with a slap for his back, a shake for his hand, a word for his ear... and Ferdi's brother-in-love laughed outright when Ferdi finally gave over and pushed his plate away.

'At least when you were a shadow, you got to eat,' he said, and Ferdi chuckled.

'There'll be another meal on the morrow,' he answered. 'Six, actually.'

Pippin and Diamond sat at the head table with Faramir, who'd been allowed to stay up for the festive occasion, and when the eating was winding down and glasses of ale had been poured out for everyone, the Thain rose, holding his glass aloft, all eyes upon him.

'To the winner of the tournament!' he said, raising his glass high. 'Well shot, Ferdibrand, I do believe you to be the finest archer in the Shire.'

'Hear, hear!' Tolly shouted, raising his own glass, to be echoed by the rest of the hobbits who crowded the great room.

It was Ferdi's turn, and as he rose, a silence fell. He lifted his glass with a smile and a nod towards the head table, and Regi relaxed. Of course he would follow custom and toast the Thain as the founder of the tournament.

But no...

Though Ferdi spoke quietly, every word was clearly heard in the hush. 'To Mistress Eglantine,' he said, 'who will always be "The Took" in my eyes, no matter if she turns the title over to another.'

He nodded as someone gasped. 'O aye,' he said conversationally, 'for certain Peregrin is Thain, and he's looking to be a good one, I'm happy to say.'

He raised his glass again. 'But my toast is to Mistress Eglantine, who never forgot...' He raised his glass and drank to the mother of the Thain, and the Tooks joined him in the toast.

Setting his glass again on the table, he turned and left the rest of the celebration to the others.

***

Before the feast was over, a sober-faced Took slipped up behind the Thain and bent to whisper a message. Pippin excused himself, telling Diamond to stay, and rose from the table. By now he had the Tooks well-conditioned to continue eating as he left, though they still rose out of courtesy and resumed their seats only after he had left the room. A few moments later, Eglantine was summoned from the feast.

Reginard found Pippin later in the study, writing a note.

'O there you are,' he said, looking up. 'I've just finished writing out instructions for my absence.'

'Absence?' Reginard said. He didn't like the sound of that... Pippin had been allowed out of bed for the first time that afternoon.

'Rudivacar Bolger is dead,' Pippin said. 'I am called immediately to Bridgefields, for Pimpernel's sake.'

'Dead! How?' Reginard said, shocked.

'A sudden illness, is all the message said,' the Thain replied. 'Evidently Nell has collapsed in her grief, and they fear both for her life and that of the unborn child.'

'She is very near her time,' Regi said.

Pippin nodded, '...which is why they did not attend the tournament this year,' he said. 'I must go, Reg, you can see that.' He rose from the desk. 'I've ordered the coach to be ready; my mother and I shall depart within the hour.'

'Diamond's staying?'

'No need for her to come,' Pippin said. 'She can keep watch over the Smials for me.' He made a wry face. 'They're more likely to listen to her than they are to me, anyhow. The Tooks should have made her Thain and left me to go fishing or somewhat.'

'She'd never stand for it,' Reginard said.

Pippin sighed. 'You're probably right. Too bad, she'd have less time to badger me...'

Reginard laughed. 'You could use more badgering, in my estimation,' he said, then sobered. 'How long do you expect to be gone?'

'I hope to bring Pimpernel and her children back within a few days,' Pippin said. 'If she's too close to her time, she won't be able to travel until after the babe is born, so let's hope we can get that cake out of the oven before it burns.'

There was a knock at the door, and at Pippin's invitation, Hally entered. 'You wished to see me, Sir?' he said politely.

The Thain told him about Rudivacar's passing, and Hally nodded. 'We'll have to leave early on the morrow, then,' he said, 'to be in time for the burial.' He shook his head. 'We seem to be hurrying to too many burials these days.'

'I've arranged to notify all the other Bolgers here for the tournament, as well,' Pippin said, 'but I had a special request to make of you.'

'Yes?' Hally said, not one to waste words when one would do.

'Rosemary was very close to Pimpernel before she married... and both of them married Bolgers. Would you come back to the Smials after the memorial? I think Rosemary might have some comfort to offer my sister.'

Hally nodded gravely. 'I'd arranged to be gone indefinitely. My brother is caring for our animals and our garden. We'll come.'

'Thank you,' the Thain said.

***

Ferdi drove the coach with the Thain's family, for Diamond had refused to be left behind, followed by the Bolgers' waggon. The roads were dry, making for fast travel; little rain had fallen over the summer. Indeed, the Water at Budge Ford was very low, only ankle deep as the ponies splashed across. Ferdi made a mental note to mention this to the Thain, who'd been fretting about the effect of the lack of rainfall. Ferdi only hoped the dust wasn't aggravating the Thain's condition.

Rudivacar's dwelling was easy to pick out as they entered Bridgefields, for every window was draped in mourning. Ferdi pulled up before the door, set the brake, nodded to the stable lads who stepped up to take the ponies' heads, and jumped down to open the door for the Thain.

Pippin was pale as he stepped out, but seemed vigorous enough, waving Ferdi's helping hand away. He turned to hand out his wife, and then lifted down his little son.

Hally pulled up his waggon behind them and soon he and Rosemary and the little Bolgers were standing with the Thain and his family.

Estella Brandybuck appeared in the doorway of the house, her face sober, eyes red from crying, though she bore herself with all the dignity of the Mistress of Buckland.

'Pippin! Diamond! So good to see you. And Faramir! I do believe you've grown...'

'Is Merry here?' Pippin asked.

'He's in Rohan,' Estella said.

'What?' Pippin exclaimed.

She laughed shakily. 'O I know,' she said, 'but the opportunity presented itself and I pushed him out the door.'

'Rohan!' Diamond said, shaking her head. 'And you let him go by himself?'

'I told him to bring me back many presents, and not to stay overlong,' Estella said. 'If he overstays himself, he knows I'll come looking for him...' Her tone boded ill for an errant husband.

She then greeted Eglantine respectfully, urging the wife and the mother of the Thain to enter the Hall, to take refreshment after their long journey, and they soon disappeared into the Hall, escorted by hospitable Bolgers.

Estella took Pippin's arm. 'O my beloved cousin, you do not know what a relief it is to see you...' She brushed back a stray tendril of hair. 'The Bolgers are at their wits' end, they haven't the faintest notion how to deal with your sister.'

'And do you?' Pippin asked.

A wry look crossed her face. 'I've been tempted to slap her, but I do not think that would relieve anything but my feelings,' she said honestly. 'Now come,' she said, tugging at his arm, 'before any of the other Bolgers get the same notion into their heads.'

Ferdi nodded to the stable lads to take the ponies away, then stepped up to Rosemary and Hally. 'Go on in,' he said, 'you can leave the young ones with me for the nonce.' Hally nodded, and taking his wife's arm, followed Pippin and Estella into the grand dwelling.

Ferdi saw to it that the young Bolgers were fed and put to bed with a story he spun himself for their enchantment, and then he took himself off for a walk about Bridgefields. He hadn't seen the place in quite awhile, for all his mother had been a Bolger herself.

He was grieved at the loss of several favourite climbing trees, probably cut down by the ruffians some years back. He contemplated for some time a dry ditch, remembering a day of terror and delight when it brimmed with racing water, and the town lads introduced him to the dangerous game of ditch-jumping. At last, the long summer day disappearing into twilight, he retraced his steps, returning in time for late supper, a silent meal, at which he was the sole representative from the Great Smials.

Diamond, he gathered, was setting Faramir in, while Pippin and Eglantine, Rosemary and Hally were dealing with the bereaved family. He excused himself as soon as decently possible and took himself off to check on the ponies, then sought his bed, for the burial would take place with the dawn.

***

The songs were slightly different, but the burial was basically the same as any in Tuckborough. Ferdi saw Pimpernel for the first time, stumbling along behind the shrouded form, supported between her mother and brother to the graveside, where she shook off their hands and stood slightly apart, her children encircling her, clinging to her skirts.

The first sign of trouble that Ferdi saw was when the burial was finished, and Eglantine put a hand on her daughter's arm to urge her away from the flower-strewn mound. Pimpernel pulled her arm from her mother's gentle grasp, shaking her head, saying something in a low tone.

Pippin tried then, but his sister turned on him angrily, and he stepped back, both hands raised in a placating gesture which did not placate the irate widow. Several of the children holding tightly to her skirts began to cry, and Ferdi heard her shout, 'Now look what you've done!'

Diamond took Pippin's sleeve then, pulled him away, arguing in a soft but urgent tone, finally convincing him to walk back with her. Ferdi stood undecided, until Eglantine looked up to see him.

'Ferdi, lad,' she called. 'Come here.'

He bowed and approached cautiously, as if Pimpernel were a bow pulled too far, and he was afraid she'd snap.

'Nell?' he said quietly.

'Another Took! That's just fine, call another Took to deal with me!' the widow raged.

'He's half Bolger,' her mother said practically, 'and since you are not looking kindly upon Tooks this day, you may have him to escort you back to the memorial.'

'No!' Pimpernel sobbed, all of the children weeping now.

'Come lass,' Ferdi said, as he might have soothed a fractious mare. 'Come along now. Is this how you would honour his love for you?'

'What do you know of that?' she snapped.

'I know what I saw, when last I saw the two of you,' he answered in the same soothing tone. 'He loved you more than his own life. Would you cast dirt upon that, now, bury that love with him? What would he say, seeing you like this?'

The mild chiding had an effect; Pimpernel drew herself up with a regal nod, saying, 'Come, children, it is time to honour your father.' Disdaining the hand Ferdi held out to her, she swept away, little ones in her wake.

Eglantine gazed after her daughter sorrowfully. 'This is not the end of it,' she said softly. Then, breaking free from her thoughts, she said, 'My thanks, Ferdi. You've been of great assistance.' He began to bow, and she put out a hand. 'No, no, please don't.'

At his questioning look, she said, 'I know I may be The Took to you, but at the moment I am just a tired old lady. Would you walk me back, please?'

With great courtesy, he offered his arm; with equal courtesy she took it, and together they slowly made their way back to the grand house for the memorial and feast.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List