Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Had Things Been Different  by Hobbsy

Amazing Creatures

Gandalf was perplexed.

“You are looking extraordinarily well, my dear Hobbit.”

“You seem rather disappointed.” Frodo replied.

“No, no...not at all. Surprised is all. I hate to be pessimistic.....”

From the hallway Samwise could be heard to cough significantly.

Frodo smiled and waited for Gandalf to go on.

Gandalf gave the hallway a disapproving look.

“Frodo....... no one has ever fully recovered from such wounds as you have endured.” he said seriously.

“Has anyone ever gone through exactly what I have?”

“You know the answer to that. No. No one. Not exactly.”

“And never a Hobbit.”

“Certainly not.”

“Then how can anyone know for certain how a Hobbit will react to such things?”

Gandalf’s nose twitched and his bushy eyebrows drew together in consternation.

“One may make an educated guess.” he harumphed.

“Only a guess, though.”

“A well-educated guess. You should not be doing so very well.”

“You are disappointed.”

“Frodo.... I simply did not expect this.”

Frodo did look very well. He was getting most of the color back in his cheeks and had filled out his still slender form to nearly his former healthy shape. Such a recovery from Morgul wounds had never been seen before. Never. It was enough to make a wizard feel it was high time he retired if his prognostications could be so faulty.

“Frodo. I am most extraordinarily pleased. Very pleased. I only ask that you do not allow yourself to get your hopes raised too much. Perhaps... in time... the effects of your trials will re-occur. Perhaps.”

“I expect they will but I have always recovered from such episodes. And I am finding I do not fear them as I once did”

“Frodo, there is the chance that they will get worse.”

“You do sound rather pessimistic, Gandalf.”

“I am only suggesting that you view you situation in a realistic way.”

“You speak of chances. Their is a chance that I may step outside and a wagon... most likely driven by Ted Sandyman, will run me down. But I do not live in fear of such things.”

“It’s not quite the same thing.”

“Isn’t it? Gandalf..... Gandalf! You really don’t know, do you?” Frodo was laughing at the White Wizard and the White Wizard was not terribly pleased.

Frodo impulsively hugged his beloved friend.

“You don’t know. No one knows where their lives will take them. It’s all right, Gandalf. That’s the way of things. I am prepared to chance that I may live on as well as possible here in the Shire that I love amongst all those that are dear to me.”

“Not all, Frodo.”

Frodo hugged the Wizard again warmly and sadly.

“No. Not all. I know you will be leaving. And the elves. But that is what you must do. You are going to the place you where you belong. Gandalf, my dearest Gandalf, I belong here. This is my home. The Hobbits are my people. I may not have all the health I had once but that is not unusual as one grows older. I can endure what I must to live here in my own land. I can, Gandalf. And I ask that you not worry on my account.”

“Oh, Frodo, Frodo..... I shall miss you, my dear boy.” “And I shall miss you most terribly. You know I shall. Still there may be opportunities for you to visit me before you go. In fact quite a very important reason for you to return on October 6.”

“Indeed?”

“Do wizards ever preside at weddings?”

Gandalf coughed and spluttered dramatically.

“Whatever do you mean, Frodo? And on October the sixth? That is the day you were stabbed on Weathertop! You have been ill on that day ever since. ”

“Gandalf, I do, of course, know that. It isn’t something I’m likely to forget. And as for what I mean I should think the meaning is very plain. I wish for you to preside at my wedding to Poppy Whitfoot. Why shouldn‘t I replace an unhappy memory with a pleasant one?”

Gandalf’s wise old eyes seem ready to pop out of their sockets.

“You seem shocked. Simply because Bilbo was a confirmed bachelor is no reason to expect me to follow him in such a course.”

Gandalf was still struck speechless, which was hitherto unheard of.

“I’m not like Bilbo in many ways. Gandalf you act as if I had told you I was preparing to enter a life of crime rather than settle down with a lovely hobbit-lass and live the way a nice normal hobbit-lad is meant to.”

“You are not an average hobbit-lad, Frodo.”

“I am, Gandalf! More than you might believe. Though I will admit to being a shade brighter than some of my fellows.”

“A shade?! An entire world’s light and shadow brighter.”

“Thank you, Gandalf. I may be a bright Hobbit but I am a Hobbit nevertheless.”

“And you are the most amazing creatures.”

“Yes. That we are, my dear, dear Gandalf. So you will be here for me and Poppy on the sixth of October?’

“Dear Frodo, I had better be, it would appear.” Gandalf was still scowling with worry.

“I’ll be fine, Gandalf.” Frodo reassured the White Wizard.

“I most sincerely hope so.”

“Remember that one word.....‘amazing’.” Frodo said with a bright twinkle in his eye.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List