Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Compassionate Hearts  by PIppinfan1988

NOTE: My apologies--the spoiler occurs in this chapter, vice chapter five.

Chapter Six - Destination Whitwell

The two older hobbits sat near the fireplace far into the evening, blowing smoke rings up towards the ceiling. Adelard sipped on a mug of the Gaffer’s fine home brew as he and Bilbo talked about the lads and getting them home. Of course the boys were all tucked away in bed, having had a very wearisome day.

“They’re fine lads, Addie,” said Bilbo of Pippin and Merry. He was watching the flames dance in the hearth. “I’d love to have them over together again, but under better circumstances.”

“Yes, and they are good lads,” said Adelard, speaking from his own personal observations. “And Frodo’s growing into a fine young hobbit himself.”

“That he is, Addie,” Bilbo smiled as he nodded. “That he is.”

Adelard chuckled, “The last time Frodo came to visit Reggie, they both worked their way into plenty of mischief.”

“He’s gotten into plenty of it on his own right here at Bag End,” said Bilbo, “though none so serious, and not like he did when he first came to live here.”

Adelard blew three smoke rings one right after the other and watched them float upwards. “Why is it you don’t visit the Smials like you used to? You still have plenty of kin who would like to see their Baggins cousin every now and then,” Addie grinned, “in spite of his peculiarities!”

(**Minor Spoiler in this paragraph**)

Bilbo laughed softly at the memory of his return from his year-long adventure. He was presumed dead, and as a result, an auction was being held on the very morning he returned. A large crowd of hobbits swarmed the entrance to his hobbit hole; none of them even bothering to wipe their feet on the mat! Indeed, the only ones present who seemed truly happy to see him come back at all were two very young hobbits: Adelard and Paladin Took. These two young cousins had remained good friends throughout their lives, and were the only two Tooks who still invited him to family gatherings. It was at that moment Bilbo decided that he, too, would make the long trek to Tuckborough and visit with the other young hobbit--though not quite so young anymore.

 

*******

“Uncle Addie!”

The elder hobbit was sleeping comfortably on his belly until he felt a jounce upon the bed, and then again upon his back. He opened an eye as one excited little hobbit pounced him and the blankets into the world of the wakeful.

“It’s time to get up Uncle Addie!” said Pippin, lying atop Adelard’s back.

Adelard could hear Pippin crunching on something that smelled…sweet. Then he sniffed a warm pungent odor of cookie on the child’s breath. Cookies first thing in the morning?, he thought. He made a face and then thought to get up for a real breakfast of eggs and salted pork, but it seemed the boy wasn’t about to get off his back until he stirred. “Very well, Pippin,” he yawned, “I’m awake.” Neither hobbit moved; the boy lay comfortably on Addie’s back and continued munching.

“Pippin,” he said.

“Yes?”

“I cannot get up while you are perched on my shoulders.”

“Sorry.” Pippin slid off the larger hobbit, letting him arise from the bed. “Shall I tell Merry that you’re up?” He brushed his hands together to rid them of the crumbs.

“Tell Merry?” Adelard stood in front of the wash basin and filled it with water from the pitcher. “Tell him what? It was your cousin was behind getting me up? I thought breakfast was on the board.” He splashed his face with the cold water and a bit of soap.

“Uh...,” Pippin had to think fast, “Merry wanted me to wake you.....so that...we could make you your favorite breakfast!” He winced--it really wasn’t the entire truth.

Adelard finished drying his face with the towel, then kissed Pippin’s curly head saying, “Try again.” Then he playfully threw the towel in the boy’s face. “Are you packed yet?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Well then be a good lad and let me get dressed, eh?” He smiled, “I shall go out to the kitchen for breakfast as soon as I’m finished.”

“May I ask you one question first?”

Adelard sat down on the bed next to Pippin, “What is your question?”

“Did you see my papa? With your own eyes, I mean.”

“Yes, I saw your papa,” said Adelard. “With my own eyes--though he was asleep at the time.” He took in a deep breath and put his arms around the lad, “Pippin....your papa is no longer with fever, however, he is still very weak and tires easily. It will be a long while before he’s out of his sick bed, and will probably not get his full strength back until just before the growing season. He will almost certainly need your help in the fields, and even though he will not ask for it, I will send Reggie or Ever to aid him as well. Do you understand?”

Pippin nodded, “Yes. I helped him in the fields last year, but it wasn’t much more than handing out seed or baskets to the workers. I’m able to do more this year, now that I’m far older.”

Adelard smiled, “You’re a good boy, Pippin. Now you need to let me get dressed so we can have breakfast. The sooner we leave, the sooner you get to see your father.”

*****

After breakfast, Bilbo met up with Frodo as he was packing in his room. He had instructed the tween to bring a few items in case they became stranded in Tuckborough. At any rate, Bilbo hoped to spend at least one night in Great Smials so that Frodo could visit with his friend Reginard Took, Addie’s eldest son.

Bilbo stepped inside the room, “Are you ready, my boy?” He watched as Frodo silently nodded. Bilbo drew closer to Frodo, “How are you feeling?”

Frodo paused in folding a clean shirt before shoving it into his rucksack. He shrugged, “Better, I suppose.”

Bilbo sat on the bed as Frodo busied himself with a few more items. He took hold of one of the lad’s hands as he walked passed towards his wardrobe and guided the young hobbit to sit down on the bed beside him. He gazed into Frodo’s surprised eyes, “You’ve been a brave lad this week.”

Frodo turned away from Bilbo’s eyes, “Funny…I don’t feel brave. I feel…” Frodo hesitated to spill his heart. “I feel…”

“Angry?” He nodded with a knowing look when Frodo abruptly turned back to face him, then lowered his eyes in embarrassment. Bilbo spoke softly to Frodo, “I suspected so; and it is nothing to be ashamed about. I cannot answer why one person dies and the other one lives, and I can only imagine the heartache that you went through. I do believe though, that the memory of your mum and dad will forever live through you, Frodo--through your own life. I know this week must have been difficult for you, lad, but you have come through it a better person. I have seen you grow into a fine young adult; laying aside your sorrow and helping your young cousins to get through their own. I have seen far too much grief take hold of loved ones--making them bitter and stealing away whatever joy that they had in their lives. But to overcome that grief, Frodo, that is where the courageousness comes in. You are brave, Frodo, and I’m very proud of you.”

Frodo wiped a few errant tears that ran down his face, then smiled. “I am happy that Paladin is well again. I just thought that I would disappoint you if you knew I was jealous.”

“No, Frodo,” Bilbo put his arm around the tween and gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. “You could never disappoint me.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List