Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Compassionate Hearts  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Five - The News

It was the way Adelard had said it, and it was all Merry needed to hear; he lost all color to his face and sank down to his hands and knees on the cold ground. Everything around him became a blur and all sound became a distant hum. Pippin began sobbing, then ran off heedlessly down into the field below.

Adelard was genuinely puzzled at the commotion. “I thought you knew--I thought Tina had sent word that his fever broke yesterday afternoon. But perhaps in her joy it slipped her mind, thinking perhaps Pearl or Pimpernel might send it. You must forgive her--she’s been under a terrible strain.”

“Fev-- broke?” Bilbo did a second take at the child running full speed into the snowy field. He saw that Frodo was seeing to Merry. Then he looked back at Adelard, “Look at what you’ve done! Stay right there and don’t move!”

Bilbo carefully stepped over the snow buried cobblestone steps that lead down into the field. He was far too old to be running about as he did during his days of adventure, but he could walk very fast when the situation called for it.

The cold snow took away most of the breath Pippin needed to run with. He was gasping for air in huge gulps when he stopped in the middle of the field and sat down in the white drifts; no coat and no cloak. He folded his arms across his chest trying to keep warm as he sobbed uncontrollably. Pippin felt his heart torn to pieces as his world fell apart right before him. Then he felt someone pull him up out of the snow. It was Bilbo.

Bilbo lifted the boy to carry him back into the Smial and felt him shivering. He held him close to warm him up. “Hush, Pippin,” he spoke softly, “we misunderstood him, my lad.” Pippin continued to sob into his shoulder as he carried him up towards the steps. “Your father lives.”

“But Addie just said that my papa died,” Pippin moaned in his tears.

“No, what he said was ‘I thought you heard’. Does that ring a bell?” Bilbo rubbed the boy’s back to warm him up some more. He took Pippin straight into the Smial and beckoned for the rest to follow him.

Pippin was still wiping tears as they entered inside, but understood what Bilbo was saying. “Then why didn’t he just say my papa was fine?”

Bilbo sat the boy down in a chair in the kitchen. He pulled out his handkerchief and wiped Pippin’s eyes, then let him blow his nose while he poured hot tea for the lad. “Why don’t you ask him?” Bilbo looked over to the other adult hobbit in the room.

Adelard was helping a distraught Merry into one of the parlor chairs; he, too, was crying and wiping away tears. Frodo took over as soon as Adelard walked towards the kitchen. “I am dreadfully sorry for all the pain I’ve just caused. I honestly thought Tina--or even Pearl--,” Adelard took another chair and sat next to Pippin, “I’m so sorry. So much has been going on.”

Bilbo came back from fetching the lap quilt in his study, saying, “Well we received no such word yesterday, today, or all week. That is why we hired the courier.” He wrapped the quilt around Pippin, “I would’ve gone myself except I was already charged to watch over these boys.”

Merry asked Adelard, “When can we go back? When can we see him?”

“Let’s go now!” said Pippin.

“It is too late and much too far to travel tonight, lads.” Adelard replied. “But I will take you both back home first thing tomorrow morning. At any rate, I must find shelter for myself and my ponies.” He looked at Bilbo, “Can you point me towards the Inn? I’m embarrassed to say it’s been a long time since I’ve been up in these parts.”

“You will do no such thing!” said Bilbo. “Frodo, take Addie down to the stables then bring him straight back here; he shall be our guest tonight.”

“I don’t want to impose, Bilbo,” said Adelard, though he had pleasant thoughts of catching up on news with his old friend.

“You should know you’re not imposing--and I have a few more spare bedrooms in case you’ve brought your family in your pockets.”

A bewildered Adelard patted down his pockets.....





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List