Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Solid Ground  by Lindelea


Chapter 18. As Long as Life Shall Last

The Elf and the Dwarf watched in wonder as the hobbits made hasty preparations for the wedding. Lanterns were hung in the branches of an ancient oak tree behind the Thain’s stables, maidens and lasses went out into the Celebration Field to pluck wildflowers that were rapidly braided into garlands, the cooks of course were already cooking for hobbits must eat, disaster or wedding or whatever may come.

Goldi washed her face and arms, Elanor combed out her sister's golden curls and styled them in a high-braided crown, Rose tucked bright flowers in here and there and added a garland for the last flourish.

Diamond tenderly washed Faramir’s face and hands and brushed his hair. There was not much she could do about the dirt on his clothes but then none of the Tooks was wearing his best, and none had bathed since the morning of the first shake.

Legolas was sitting with Pippin, encouraging him to sip yet another cup of meaty broth when the Master of Buckland entered the pavilion. ‘Are we ready?’ Merry asked quietly, without the broad smile he usually wore when officiating at a wedding.

 ‘Quite,’ Diamond said briskly. She gestured to the healers’ assistants who lifted Pippin’s litter; she held his hand as she walked by his side, following Merry to the old oak. Mistress Rose rode sideways upon a gentle old pony led by Fastred, Sam steadying her.

 Faramir’s and Goldi’s brothers and sisters followed their parents. After them came a crowd of sombre tweens and unmarried hobbits, bearing Goldi on their shoulders. The rest of the hobbits, all who were not needed for other tasks such as sitting with the injured or cooking the feast, joined the procession. Legolas and Gimli joined the throng of wedding guests.

Robin Bolger, his head bandaged and one arm in a sling, bent over Faramir’s litter. ‘Farry?’ he said. ‘Are you ready?’ He nodded to the litter-bearers, who gently lifted the son of the Thain. Robin held Farry’s hand as they walked along. He’d heard the whispers amongst the Tooks, that Farry was slipping away, that Goldi sought to honour him before he breathed his last. He breathed deeply and set his chin in determination. He’d do Farry proud.

The crowd parted silently to let Robin and Faramir’s litter through. The bearers laid the litter down before Master Merry and stepped back. Goldi stood between her parents, holding a hand of each. Robin walked up to her and tried to smile. ‘Here we are,’ he said.

She nodded, blinking back tears, then turned to kiss first her mother, then her father. Robin took her hand from Sam’s, and Mistress Rose released Goldi’s other hand, whispering, ‘Grace go with you, daughter.’ Head high, hair ablaze in the sunshine, Goldi followed Robin to Farry’s litter, settling to the ground beside him so that Robin could join her hand with Faramir’s. With a kiss for Goldi’s cheek, Robin rose and stepped back to witness the vows.

Merry cleared his throat. There was no need to call for silence. He raised his voice to say, We are gathered here to witness the joining of two souls, two spirits, two hearts... two families into one that never existed before this moment.

Is there any here who can raise an objection to this union?

As Merry waited the requisite three breaths, Legolas wanted to call out a protest: how could they call this a wedding? How could Goldi... but Gimli rumbled deep in his throat and nudged the Elf.

 ‘For life,’ the Dwarf said so low that only Legolas heard, but he understood. Hobbits married only once, even if their chosen partner should die early. Hobbits who’d given their affections very seldom would marry at all, if a true-love should die before the wedding day, but remained a bachelor or old maid until joined once more with the beloved in death.

Goldi raised her chin, speaking the vows in a clear voice, squeezing Faramir’s hand.

...to seize each moment, to live to the fullest the love that's between us... To refuse no joy set before us... That each day might be a golden coin to add to the treasure trove of our love... Until I've drunk the last drop in the cup, and no more days remain to me ...As long as life shall last, until I take my last breath of the sweet air.

There was a moment of silence when the vows were complete, a time for all the participants to ponder anew the depth of the meaning of the words.

'As long as life shall last...' Master Merry repeated solemnly, then added, 'Ladies and gentlehobbits, allow me to present to you a new family of the Shire!'

The wedding guests stood in silence, while Goldi bent to lay a kiss upon Faramir’s lips, letting the tears flow for the first time since he’d been found.

‘In any event,’ Frodo said, ‘You wandered too soon. It’s not your time. I was sent to meet you, to send you back.’

  ‘Back?’ Faramir said, confused. He wasn’t sure where back was.

  ‘You’re needed,’ Frodo said. ‘For one thing, Pippin has been so very badly injured, you know, and it’s not his time either, but he’ll very likely die of grief should he lose you now.’

‘Da...’ Farry whispered, feeling a tug at his heart. Back.

  ‘And Goldilocks,’ Frodo went on, breaking off suddenly with a thoughtful look. ‘I saw her, you know,’ he said conversationally, ‘before I left Samwise behind. I told him she would be coming along one of these days, and here she is, all grown up and about to marry!’

‘He wrote about that,’ Faramir said, his sense of unreality growing. His body was becoming heavier. The light around him was dimming, and the air no longer blessed his lungs but burned.

‘She’s waiting for you,’ Frodo said. ‘You’re to be the next Thain, and the Thain after will be of your blood, and hers, but that cannot be if you stay here...’ The words grew ever fainter. Faramir struggled to open eyelids grown strangely heavy, and to hear through the rushing sound in his ears.

‘I wish you joy, Faramir, and boundless blessing,’ Frodo’s voice lingered even after Faramir could no longer see him or the bright world surrounding. ‘Laugh long, live long, love forever!’

As Goldi rose from the kiss she gasped. Farry's eyes were open, staring at the bright sky! He took a shuddering breath, and another, and then... He blinked, he looked at her, he smiled! ‘You look beautiful,’ he murmured, but then a frown crossed his face. ‘Goldi,’ he said worriedly. ‘It’s bad luck for me to see you before the wedding day.’

 ‘It is our wedding day, my love,’ she said softly.

 ‘Our wedding day?’ he said, confused. ‘But... it was only a few moments... how could...?’ He struggled to sit up and the Tooks surged forward with hopeful murmurs.

 ‘Farry!’ Diamond cried, and laughing and crying she was beside him, hugging him fiercely. Pippin raised himself up on an elbow, trying to get up to go to his son, but Merry pushed him down again, gesturing to two Tooks to take up the litter and bring Pippin closer to Faramir.

Legolas knelt by Faramir. ‘You were sent back,’ he said in wonder.

 ‘Yes,’ Faramir said simply. ‘How did you...?’ The question would have to wait as he was thronged by joyful hobbits all wishing to welcome him back from the dead. Through it all Goldi held tight to his hand.


2/21/04





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List