Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Ashes of Twilight  by Tinuviel ylf maegden

Well, that was an awfully strange tale told in a short period of time, no? Yes, well. Tinuviel, a girl who forsook her life for seemingly a sad cause. It intrigued me, for both Luthien and Arwen were called "Tinuviel" and suffered a similar fate. It made me wonder, and so I collected my ideas in this tale, and I have to thank those who helped.

First, I would like to acknowledge and thank master J.R.R Tolkien, who not only re-discovered Middle-Earth (which is what ancient Europe was called, spelled "Middel-Erthe"), but who has allowed us to embellish his stories that are set in that ancient world, continuing is tale. Therefore, all the characters mentioned in my story (Save Gwendolyn) ree-lee belong to Tolkien.

Second, I would like to thank those who helped me with my very—interesting—story. Thanks be, Gwen, for faithfully reviewing all my chapters (they weren’t that good, I presume, for seldom did anyone else review) and giving me the confidence to keep writing. You see, my story is filled with things you have to be sharp to pick up on. Though my writing style may seem like "Mary Cassat meets Edgar Allan Poe" It does serve a deeper purpose. I would also like to thank Gwen for letting me use some of the characters she made, and include them in my story. And I want to thank her for raising Dior and protecting him. 

And now, there comes the inevitable issue I must address. Yes, I am quite aware my story does not coincide exactly with Tolkin’s, but I have an explanation for that: "The Silmarillion" is supposedly a collection of stories Bilbo put together from books the Elves gave him, just as "The Hobbit" is his account of his own adventure. Since hobbits have a tendency to change and shift things ever so slightly (which you will know if you read the appendix) I thought that, perhaps, his account (after being translated, and certainly hobbits would not understand Elven metaphor) would be slightly different from the tale Tinuviel herself told. In the end, it really doesn’t change anything.

Yes, I was alluding to the fact that Arwen was Luthien reincarnated. I did this for several reasons: Elves, apparently, are reborn if they die, the Celts (of which Tolkien borrowed much of his work, and many ideas) believed strongly in reincarnation, and I thought it would be interesting. Strangely enough, if you apply this idea while reading "The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn" a lot of things make more sense. If you don't agree with me, fantastic. I respect your opinion.  

Initially, I got the idea from a dream I had where that was the case. I also took the part where Luthien is a young maiden and has her baby at night with spirits all around, and Arwen rides away clad in flaming red, and Thingol tells Luthien about the stars, (which is highly symbolic) from dreams. Scarily enough, I have reocurring dreams where Thingol is yelling at me. I thought I could incorperate it in my tale, since I could feel Lu's pain. This proves I also sleep and breath Tolkien.

By saying that Tinuviel was currently suffering another life as an Irish girl (which could easily be told by her name, "Flanna O’shea") I was hoping to suggest to all who read my tale that the tale itself was continuing, and it will be, until her task is done.

The reason I quote the Egyptians so often is because…*takes deep breath* …

Egyptians are descendants from Atlantis which Tolkien called "Numenor" and Tolkien himself believed to have some ancient roots in Atlantis so I decided to include it in my story because Elves and Numenoreans are so closely related that they’re like mortal Elves and I wouldn’t be surprised if Elves had the same dream Numenoreans had where they’re drowning and it’s a creepy dream and if you don’t believe me then read "The Silmarillion" and "The Return of the King-‘The Houses of Healing’" I also like the Egyptians and put them in my story 'cause I could and I enjoyed every minute of it mwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Thank you ever so if you bothered to read all of my story, and the highly boring epilog. Aa lasser n’le coia omenta gurtha! Namarie, Elda-mellon!

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List