Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Beyond the Circles of This World  by Meldewen Ilce

Part II: The Steward of Gondor

Hushed reverence ruled the crowds who had gathered outside the gates of the Silent Street awaiting news of Elessar Telcontar from inside the House of the Kings.

The crowd had began to gather only an hour earlier when several people had watched as the King turned down the street where Gondor's most honored departed were laid to rest.
Several of his people called out to Aragorn, son of Arathorn, during his final walk in life but he did not answer them. It was only after the King had disappeared into the House that the crowd realized that following him had been the Queen and Crown Prince of Gondor.

It was only after an eternity of silence did the Queen reappear, pain reigning in her eyes as she came to face the crowd.

'Good people of Gondor,' she began in a clear voice, 'Elessar Telcontar, King of Reunited Kingdom, has found his rest. He now sleeps eternally with his fathers.'

As their Queen's words sank in, many of the people began to weep and some openly wailed for the lost King as Elessar Telcontar had been much loved by the people of Gondor.

'Make way for Princess Isilmè, the Steward of Gondor!' a voice cried, and the crowd parted.

When Eldarion realized what his father's intentions were, the Prince had immediately sent for the Steward of the Realm. The current Steward of Gondor was the eldest daughter of the Prince and Lady of Ithilien. Isilmè had been named Faramir's heir upon his death as her mother had never born a son to inherit the title.

Over the years of her service to the King since her father's death, Isilmè had proven that she was both capable and loyal to the royal family. It was now her who stepped forward to the front of the crowd, stopping beside the Queen, bowing to her before she turned to face the people.

Dressed in a tunic, leggings, and cloak that were the blue-greyish colors of the emblems of the princedom of Ithilien, Isilmè appeared to be more of a lord than a lady as she began her proclamations.

'Let the bells of the city proclaim this news throughout the city, that King Elessar now sleeps with his fathers,' Isilmè paused as another sob was heard, 'But also let it be known that Gondor is not without a King.'

At this Eldarion made his appearance, carrying in his arms the winged crown of Gondor and the scepter of Arnor. The crown had yet to be placed upon his head and would not be until after the three days of mourning had passed for the late King. Only on the morning of the 4th day would the Steward of the Realm, before the people of Gondor, crown Eldarion the new King of the Reunited Kingdom.

'I present to you Eldarion, son of Elessar the Elfstone, Crown Prince of Gondor, your King.,' Isilmè paused, 'For three days shall the Realm mourn for the great King Elessar, who now sleeps with the Kings of the Past and when the final night of mourning has passed, the Realm shall gather together again to witness the coronation and to rejoice for the reign of our new King.'

***
Author's Note: The character of Isilmè belongs to me and I ask that she not be used in any other story without my prior knowledge or permission.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List