Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Beyond the Circles of This World  by Meldewen Ilce

Part I: The Elfstone Sleeps


For what seemed an eternity, Arwen Undomķel stared at the face of her husband, unmoving and unbelieving that he was truly gone from her. Even in the deep sleep of death, her beloved's face was beautiful and Arwen found herself unable to stop caressing it until long after his flesh had turned cold.

After one final kiss against his lips, Arwen finally raise herself from the hard ground of the tomb where she had knelt beside Estel to keep vigil during the final moments of his life.

'Nīn hūn galo helch. In cen Anor al si, in aphad ned gurth,' Arwen breathed before she turned to leave the crypt.

As she neared the door, Arwen's yet keen Elven eyes saw the form of her son standing there, leaning against the frame as though he needed its support. As she neared him and he emerged from the shadow, Arwen saw unshed tears in his eyes as he reached out for her hand.

There was no warmth, nor any life in the eyes of the Evenstar. There was only unsurpassed grief there when she took the hand of her son and spoke, 'Adar aran fern.'

Eldarion nodded, fighting his tears as he pulled his mother into his arms. Goodbye, Father. he thought sadly as he held his mother.

In the arms of her son, Arwen's entire body shook as she tried to keep the sobs of her pain from escaping her lips. Eldarion felt her hot tears soak his shoulder and he made no effort to stop his own as they wept together.

Finally, when Arwen pulled out of his arms she was in control of her tears again. Looking into his pale eyes, she spoke, 'Come, my son, I must perform my last duty as the Queen of Gondor and tell the people that King Elessar Telcontar sleeps with his fathers.'

***
Nīn hūn galo helch. In cen Anor al si, in aphad ned gurth = My heart grows cold. I see the Sun not now. I will follow in death. = [Your] Father [the] King [is] dead.

Adar aran fern





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List