Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirty Two

Paladin felt every jostling the pony rendered underneath him. Yet the sound of the rhythmic pace calmed the fury in his head. The cloud of unreasoning was lifting in his thoughts as Paladin began the painful process of...letting Merry go. His head reasoned, You’ve gone and got yourself into this mess. You should never have taken that child under your roof. Then his heart would call out, Where would the boy be if I hadn’t? Running wild in the Shire woods no doubt, or falling into the wrong crowd with that Sandyman’s son. He shuddered, No, I couldn’t let that happen with my sister’s flesh and blood. Do I regret all the love and kindness I’ve given over to Merry? Paladin hesitated not one second, No. Never once have I regretted it. Then the one burning question he desperately wanted to know: Why is it you hesitate to let go?

Soon Paladin saw he was approaching Tuckborough, one of the larger towns in the Tookland. In the distance he could make out the lanterns that lit the entrance to the Oak Leaf Inn. He recognized the painted oak leaf sign that hung under the eaves of the thatch roof. His gaze traveled to the shadow of a large oak tree that stood nearby on the far side of the inn.

Paladin knew his cousin Adelard frequented the tavern, as did a certain brother-in-law, Gilbold Boffin, more commonly known as Gillie. It wasn’t drink Paladin sought at the tavern--he wanted someone to talk to. Someone to help him reason with himself--and Addie, his own best friend and cousin, was just the one to seek out. However, if Gillie was there--his loose-tongued brother-in-law, then Paladin could count on being the talk of Tuckborough for weeks to come.

Paladin rode up to the inn and dismounted, tying Fergie up to the hitching post. When he opened the tavern door he immediately felt the warmth of a multiple of friendships deep in discussion pour out. He knew most of the regulars, but there were a few patrons that he guessed were probably transients staying in the Inn. He scanned the tables to find his cousin.

“Ho there, Mr. Paladin!” Paladin turned his head toward the voice, and saw that it was old Orry Grubb. Paladin greeted his elder with a nod. “Good evening, Mr. Orry! Nice to see you’re still up and about in Tuckborough.”

“Aye, laddie, I am!” The hobbit laughed and raised his mug in a salute, “And what brings ye to the Oak Leaf?”

Paladin had to nearly shout in the old hobbit‘s ears to hear his own voice above the din. “I’m looking for Addie--have you seen him?”

Orry pointed with his mug to a large round table nearest to the kitchen. “Over there, lad!”

Paladin smiled to himself as he imagined his own graying hair; I guess when I’m Orry’s age, every male hobbit will seem a lad to me as well! He made his way around and in between other tables and found Adelard laughing and jesting with his friends over a few mugs of ale.

“Paladin!” Adelard got up and took his cousin into a friendly, albeit drunken, hug. “I’m so glad you’re here!”

“Why?”

Adelard paused, momentarily baffled, then shouted, “I don’t know why! I’m just glad is all!” Everyone round the table laughed.

“Sit! Sit!” Adelard grabbed an unused chair from the next table and gave it to Paladin. Then he shouted over the room, “Hollin! An ale for my cousin!”

Paladin reached inside his coat for his pipe, then he remembered he left it back in study. Adelard intuitively knew his friend. “Half a moment!” He said, then patted down his vest pockets. “Ah! Here it is!” He pulled out a small traveling pipe he used when he couldn’t find his usual one.

Paladin nodded his thanks as his cousin tossed him a pouch of leaf. “Fill up, now! I’ve got all night.” He laughed. “No Miss’es to go home to!”

Paladin’s heart went out to his cousin. His wife had died after giving birth to their youngest son, Everard, and hadn‘t married again since. Adelard had dutifully raised his brood single-handedly, although with a bit of help from Eglantine when it came to the lasses.

Hollin came over to their table and slid the mug of ale down towards Paladin--not spilling an ounce of it‘s contents. Paladin first took a sip of ale to wet his dry throat then asked, “When are you coming over for supper?” He didn’t want to get too deep right away--especially with all the prying ears still present.

Before Adelard could answer him, Gillie walked up to the table, “Hullo, good friends and neighbors!” Paladin looked up and saw the cheery face of his older sister’s husband. Then noticing his younger brother-on-law, Gillie added, “And hullo to you, too, Paladin!” Not waiting for an invitation, Gilllie found a chair and swung it backwards up to the table to straddle it, leaning forward on the back of it.

Paladin ignored his loud brother-in-law and took his attention back to Adelard, waiting for an answer to his question.

Adelard laughed, “I promise you next week--Trewsday! Honest this time!”

Paladin smirked, “You said that last week!”

“Yes, well, I happen to know you’ve got your young Buckland visitor there these days.” He noticed the smile leave Paladin’s face. “Did I say something wrong?”

Paladin sighed and cleared his throat. “No.” He took another sip from his mug.

Adelard eyed around the table, “Let’s take a walk and get some fresh air.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List