Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Eight

“He’s here!” Pervinca yelled. She was in the kitchen passing in front of the little window when she saw her uncle--and aunt step up to the door, “Aunt Essie is here, too!" Pervinca was debating if she should haul the box of discarded items from the guest room out to the burn pile as the guests walked in, or if she should hide it in the wash room until later when it could be sent out discreetly. She opted for the latter and just in the nick of time. The bell rang as she made haste to shut the wash room door and pull the scarf off of her head. She patted the dust off of her apron and smoothed out the wrinkles of her dress. She let out a deep breath and opened the door.

“Uncle Saradoc! Aunt Essie!” The girl smiled and curtsied, “What a pleasant surprise!”

Saradoc eyed his young, dramatic niece, “You did get our letter, didn‘t you?”

“Yes, Uncle, but we didn’t know we’d have the pleasure of seeing Aunt Essie as well,” she replied.

By this time, the rest of the family, minus Pearl and Merry, were in the kitchen greeting the guests.

“Ah, well, I do apologize for the change in plans. Essie dearly misses her son, and also wishes to see him.”

Pippin feigned innocence as he replied, “Is he not your son as well?” Out of the mouths of babes!

The room went silent. Thinking quickly, Paladin spied Pearl’s knitting bag on a chair nearby. He grabbed it and thrust it into his son’s hands, “Pippin, go take this to Pearl! She’ll be needing it.”

Pippin took the bag, but hesitated, “But Papa, she’s--”

Paladin gave his young son a gentle shove down the hallway, “now, Pippin.”

Paladin stepped forward and sheepishly offered his hand to Saradoc, “That's my Pippin!”

Saradoc took Paladin’s hand and shook it, “He speaks the truth, Paladin. I wasn’t minding my words.”

Paladin gave Saradoc a firm pat on the shoulder and led him away from the rest of the family, now chattering away and exchanging hugs. “It’s good to see you, Sara, but tell me--why have you come so soon to claim Merry?”

Saradoc awkwardly looked about him, “Actually, I haven’t come to claim him--yet. I’ve come to visit him just as the letter stated.” Then he added, “You said I got his attention at Bag End.” Saradoc looked at his friend, “I want more than my son’s attention, Paladin.”

Outwardly, Paladin smiled and congratulated his sister’s husband on his decision. Inwardly, though, his earlier conversation with his wife came to mind once again and Paladin felt his heart become troubled.

“Well, before you visit him, you must know that he hasn’t been feeling well. He fell asleep in front of the fireplace and nearly succeeded in cooking himself. He says he still has a headache though I thought it would’ve been gone by now.”

Saradoc thought for a moment then looked at Paladin, “From his fall at Bag End?”

Paladin nodded, “So it would seem, but I think it’s more from things on his mind. He’s just a lad, yet he’s making very grown up decisions about his life right now. We should be glad that a headache is all he has.”

By this time, Eglantine and Esmeralda were listening in on the conversation. Esmeralda grew worried, “Where is Merry?”

Eglantine took hold of Esmeralda’s arm to lead her down the hallway, “Come, Essie, I’ll take you to him.”

When Merry saw his mother walk into his room he shouted and opened his arms out to her. Pearl was sitting on the chair next to the bed, perplexed as to why Pippin had brought in her knitting bag.

Esmeralda sat down on the bed and cried, holding her son in her arms wanting never to let go. Her tears fell freely down her cheeks as she whispered in his ear, “My dearest Merry! You have no idea how much I’ve missed you.”

Eglantine shepherded her brood outside the bedroom so that Esmeralda and Merry could have a private moment.

Merry was also in tears, “I’m so sorry, Mum.”

Esmeralda hugged her baby tight for a long while. She took out her handkerchief and wiped his tears away, “Gracious me, child, what in the Shire do you have to be sorry for?”

Merry sat back onto his pillows wiping his eyes with his hand, “Well, I’ve went and got myself into this fix, and I don’t know how to get myself out now.”

Esmeralda stroked Merry’s damp curls away from his face. “Hush! You didn’t get yourself into any sort of “fix”--your father got himself there.“ Then she smiled, “I’ve finally been able to drag him out of his study. I stole away the key and forced him to take a look at his family--and most importantly his son.” She saw his cheeks were still rosy from sleeping in front of the warm fire. She offered him a mug of water, “I want you to drink up now. It will cool you.” She watched as Merry sat up and sipped out of the mug.

Merry lay back on his pillows to relax and wiped his mouth, “I’m glad you’re here, Mum.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List