Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Twenty Seven

Merry could not find a comfortable position in his attempt to rest. He was more anxious than he cared to think about concerning his father’s visit later that day. His felt a chill creep into his bones. He took up his quilt and sauntered over to the fireplace. It was warm here. He wrapped the quilt around himself as he sat down to watch the dancing flames.

His let his mind wander as his eyelids grew heavy. He lay down on his side, using his arm as a pillow. He could hear the small voice again. “...I still don’t know where to begin....or how. What shall I say after all these years? You are the brightest boy I have ever known--and have I told you this?...” Merry continued watching the flames. Mesmerized by the fire as he recalled the words of his father. “...Countless nights, Merry, have I watched you sleep because I couldn’t bear to see your innocent blue eyes dance upon my own.”

Merry fell asleep in front of the hearth listening to the small voice over and over.

Paladin knocked on his nephew’s door. His curiosity was getting the better of him. He wanted to know just how Merry was taking the news of his father’s arrival. He opened the door. The room was slightly dark inside as the drapes were closed. Once he stepped through the threshold he could feel the warmth emanating from the flames in the fireplace. The covers were laid aside on the bed, but no one was in it.

Then he had an idea to check further inside. He walked around the other side of the bed and saw the lump on the floor near the fire. Paladin quickly went to Merry and woke him.

Merry stirred ever so slightly in his sleep then opened his eyes, “Uncle? I got cold, so I took a little nap next to the fire.”

Paladin felt his nephew's forehead, “That wasn’t a good idea, Merry. What were you trying to do--roast yourself? You’re rather warm now. How are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling exceptionally well today,” Merry perked up somewhat in spite of his drowsiness.

Paladin held Merry under his arms to help him stand, “Are you well enough for your father to visit?” Paladin asked.

“I don't know. Auntie told me about it early this afternoon.”

Paladin helped Merry to lay down on the bed, then tucked the blankets around him. “So...”, he ventured, “have you been thinking about going back home to Brandy Hall?”

“I have thought about it,” Merry answered. “But I’ve decided I don’t want to go home. Can’t I live here for a while--please? Please don't make me go home--not just yet.”“Merry,” Paladin sat down on the bed, “You are welcome to stay here for as long as you wish.” Then he thought about Eglantine‘s words, “...and as long as your mother allows me to keep you. I’d not be truthful with you if I said I was happy at the prospect of you going home.” His eyes filled with tears as he felt Merry take his hand and embrace it.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List