Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Seven

The morning was proving to be bright and cheery, though Pippin was in a foul mood while scrubbing the stove when Pim appeared in the hallway. “Pip! Tell me when the Post arrives--I have letters to send!” Pippin stopped scrubbing and mocked, “Yes, Thain Pimpernel.”

Pim’s head appeared round the corner with imaginary concern, “I’m sorry, I didn’t quite hear what you said, would you care to repeat it, Pip?”

Pippin saw his father look up from the table, sipping his morning tea. He replied, “No, I wouldn’t.” He watched as his sister smiled in triumph.

“Pippin.” Still scrubbing the caldron, Pippin heard his father call to him and looked up. “Come and sit.”Pippin put the scrub brush down and went to sit by his father.

“Son, I know what you’re up against. I, too, had three older sisters and another younger one to deal with as I was growing up.” Paladin winked at his son. Then he was more serious, “I will advise you this: Don’t go so far in an all out war on your most faithful allies.”

Pippin was surprised at his father’s ‘hint‘. How did he know about his little declaration of war on his sister?

“No matter how relentlessly they tease you, Pippin,” Paladin continued, “don’t retaliate so as to divide yourself from those who love you most.”

“Even when they deserve it? Papa, they’ve done rotten things to me!”

Paladin drew Pippin to his side, “They are your sisters. When you are grown and your mamma and I are no longer around, they will be. They will be here for you, Pip. Will your teasing go so far as to make them not want to be your sister? Think about that.” Paladin sipped the last of his tea, got up to leave for the fields. His only instruction to Pippin was to stay near Merry.

Pippin was left to deal with his feelings of vengeance. He dwelt on his father’s words as he finished rinsing the dishes in the tub. His innermost thoughts were broken by the sound of jingling bridle. Pippin peered through the kitchen window. Perhaps there should be a truce of some sort. He shouted, “Pim! The Post is here!”

Soon Pim dashed into the kitchen with her envelopes. “Pip! Hurry! Run these out to the Post!”

Pippin saw she had dried egg white all over her face and started to laugh.

Pim shook the envelopes in his face, “Pippin! Take these out to the Post!”

“Take them yourself,” he said still laughing. Then again, the truce could wait until after the Post left.

“Peregrin! Take these out to the post this instant!” Then she begged, “Please!”

That was the word Pippin wanted to hear. The truce was back on. He took the envelopes from his sister and ran out to the Post. He handed them over to the deliverer and received a bundle of envelopes in return. On his way back down the lane he wondered what in the Shire got his sister all tied up in a knot. He stole a peek at the envelopes he just received. Most were either for his father or mother, but there were five envelopes of the same script from the same sender: Mister Frodo Baggins, Bag End, Hobbiton. Then there was one that was addressed to: Master Peregrin Took, Whitwell, Tuckborough. He laughed to himself to see such a formal title attached to his name. Pippin rarely received letters and was curious to see what was inside. He started to open it then decided not to. He was going to wait and see what the other special envelopes contained first; there was one addressed to each tweenager, teenager, and child: Pearl, Pimpernel, Pervinca, Meriadoc Brandybuck, and Peregrin Took. Then he remembered Merry again. He thought to take Merry’s envelope himself. Hopefully Merry was receiving visitors, or better yet, receiving him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List