Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Six

The sun was setting as they rode up the lane to the smial. Merry and Pippin sat behind in the wagon, subdued during the whole trip home. Pippin noticed Merry stared into nothing the whole ride. He tried to talk to Merry once or twice, but he’d only shrug; even with a simple yes or no question. Maybe he’s still angry with me, Pippin thought.

Pippin hopped out of the wagon as soon as they pulled to a stop. He could hear the dishes clinking inside the kitchen, the chatter of women preparing supper. The aroma of bread baking made it’s way to Pippin’s nose; he could feel the warmth of it all spill out into the night. Then he thought about Merry. The only warmth Merry probably felt at home came from his mother, and she was only one candle in the chasm between Merry and his father.

Merry scooted out the back of the wagon. “May I please be excused from supper, Uncle?”

He spoke so softly that Paladin barely heard his nephew’s request. Merry looked like he hadn’t slept in a week. Normally, he was a typical sixteen-year-old lad, full of energy and misbehavior. This evening, though, he carried a huge weight upon his shoulders.

Paladin understood Merry wished to be alone right now, yet he did not like the idea of Merry going to bed hungry. “Shall a tray be brought to you?” He offered.

“No, thank you, sir.” Merry almost whispered. He remained where he stood waiting to be excused.

Paladin’s heart went out to the boy. “Very well, I will look in on you after supper.”

“Yes, sir.” Merry said, and walked to the back entrance. He did not want to encounter anyone else in his present state.

Paladin and Pippin carried the few tools they brought back from the fields into the barn. Neither spoke until they were walking towards the kitchen door.

“Papa?” Pippin walked slowly with his hands in his pockets while dragging his feet, feeling the soft, powedery earth beneath his toes.

“Yes?” Paladin stopped walking to let Pippin catch up. He knew his young son was troubled over Merry.

Pippin stopped, and looked as if he was about to speak, but held his breath and hesitated. “I wish there was something we could do to help Merry,” he finally said.

“So do I, son.” He placed his hand on Pippin’s shoulder and guided him through to the kitchen door.

No sooner had they walk in the kitchen, Pimpernel grabbed Pippin by the arm and took him to task, exclaiming, “Look at my lip!” Pim’s upper lip was red and chafed where she had scrubbed to get the cosmetic paint off. It took all the strength Pippin had to not bowl over laughing.

“How am I supposed to attend the party when I have a red and swollen lip?” Pim was incensed.

He half-heartedly teased his sister, “What party? You haven’t even got an invitation I’ll wager.”

This only angered is sister all the more. Pim grabbed his arm and almost yanked it out, “You think you’re so smart, eh? Mother says for your punishment you can wash every dirty dish after supper tonight and first breakfast tomorrow! And I’ll make sure every dirty dish and caldron is what you get!!”

To Pim’s surprise Pippin didn’t argue back this time. He let out a sigh and said nothing further. Pim thought for sure he would whine and run to their mother or father to get out of his duties, but Pippin looked out of sorts. All battles aside, he was still her little brother. She grabbed his arm again and took him into the hallway, “Pippin, what’s the matter--are you sick?”

Pippin looked further down the hallway to the darker, unlit portion. Merry’s door was there in the darkness, which told Pippin that Merry hadn’t even bothered to light a fire for the night.

“Pippin?” Pim grew concerned.

Without looking at his sister he replied, “I’m worried about Merry.”

Pim relaxed. She thought something seriously was wrong with her brother. “He’s getting to be a big hobbit, you know, Pip. He can take care of himself.”

Pippin went into the day’s events...well, the important ones, anyway. Then Pim knelt down to look him in his eyes. “Pip, you can’t heal the world. Even father will tell you that. Merry will be alright.”, Pim forced a smile to comfort her brother. The truth was, now she was worried. Merry was like another brother to Pim, and she loved him as such. They were close in age as hobbits go, and she was naturally concerned over him.

“I’ll leave you alone this time, Peregrin Took” Pim smirked, warning with a finger, “but don’t count on it a second time!” She stood up and went back to helping prepare supper.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List