Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Hunting  by Nilmandra

Thank you to daw the minstrel for beta reading this chapter

Chapter 10: Warriors at play

Elrohir accepted a plate of fresh fruit, cheese and bread from a young elleth helping serve at the picnic, and then followed Elladan to a quiet spot under the trees near the sparring field.  He had just sat down in the grass when Elladan spoke.

“Please forgive my anger at you, Elrohir.  I was unkind and unfair to you.”

Elrohir met his brother’s gaze solidly, as if reading into his very heart.  “What did I do to anger you, Elladan?” he asked. “Was it what I said, that you could not be angry on my behalf?”

Elladan shook his head. “It is nothing you said or did, muindor. You were injured and not angry with those who caused it. I was angry with them for hurting you and with you for accepting it.  Not very rational on my part, I am sorry to admit.”

“I could not ask for a better brother, Elladan,” answered Elrohir honestly. “I like that you have always looked out for me, and Arwen, even if we did not always think we needed it. I hope you know that we care about you just as much, even if we do not show it in the same way.”

In response, Elladan gripped his hand, but did not reply, and Elrohir could see the depth of emotion in his brother’s eyes.

“Being in Lorien with Daearadar and Daernaneth is different than being at home in Imladris, but both of those places are so much different than being here, Elrohir. Thranduil’s realm holds off shadow that threatens to come ever closer, and even here near to their stronghold they are always on guard.  We are fortunate, Elrohir, more fortunate than I at times realize.”

Elrohir squeezed his twin’s hand back. “Does this mean you forgive the wood elves for throwing us into the dirt?” he asked teasingly.

A sudden grin crossed Elladan’s face.  “Forgive them, yes, but if the opportunity presents to toss Sadron in the dirt, I will do so.”

Elrohir laughed, for this was the Elladan he loved: sensitive and grateful for their life, but passionate about all things competitive.  A horn sounded, calling all of the elves who were non-competitive participants in the hunt to come to the field.  “I must go get lost with a couple of Thranduil’s sons.   Enjoy this, Elladan, but do not hurt Sadron,” he admonished good naturedly.

Elladan flashed him a grin as he walked away, and Elrohir knew the afternoon would be interesting.

* * *

The afternoon’s hunt was a race as well as an event.  Each team would be told only part of what they were expected to accomplish before beginning; the rest they would need to learn from clues and those they were to rescue.  Imladris elves would head both groups, and Rawien had assured them that the capabilities of the wood elves in both groups were similar.  Elladan and Garthon would each captain a group of four other warriors. The groups would be competing to see which team could accomplish all the tasks set before them and retrieve a single, final token placed at the finish line.  If both teams accomplished all their tasks, then the first one to the finish line would win.

Elladan stood with his team gathered close about him as he waited for the signal to start.  He had Nathrion with him, and from the wood elves Laerion, Bellion and Faron.  Bellion and Faron were two of the strongest elves he had ever seen. Across the field he saw Garthon salute him jauntily as he strode off with Meldon, and the wood elves Lachthoniel, Sadron and Feredir.  Sadron flashed him a grin that spoke of challenge and Elladan hoped they would have an opportunity to meet before the finish line.

Rawien handed him a sealed scroll, and then led the group to their starting point at the edge of the training ground. Elladan fingered the scroll’s edges, anticipation to start coursing through him as he wondered at its contents.

“The scroll contains important information about the task set before you,” Rawien informed them. “However, it cannot be opened until the appropriate time.” He smiled at the quizzical looks on the faces all around him. “The challenge begins with a clue:

‘One leaf in a tree
Is worth a king’s ransom
Seek the buzzing bee
For the hive will pay handsome’

“You may begin!”

Elladan looked quickly at the wood elves, hoping one of them would immediately understand the clue Rawien had given them. “Do you have honey bees?” he asked Bellion.

The elf was already in motion. “In a grove to the east,” he called merrily. 

Elladan fell in behind Bellion, following the path that led to the wood elves’ hives of honey bees. In spite of the well worn trail, Elladan found himself slipping into the position of scout. He was rewarded only a few minutes into the chase at the sight of a small silver colored bag hanging from a tree branch. He carefully plucked it from the tree and opened it to reveal a small collection of colored stones. 

“Do these have significance to you?” he asked Faron, who had stopped at his side.

“Not to me,” answered Faron, “but perhaps their meaning will become clear later.”

Elladan slipped the bag into his pocket, and the small group resumed their course. No other tokens were encountered before they entered a sunny grove. Elladan heard the buzz of bees and saw several hives in the trees. The grove was silent, and Elladan motioned for his team to spread out, seeking the answer to the clue they were given.

“Seek the buzzing bee, for the hive will pay handsome,” repeated Nathrion. “The bees are buzzing, I wonder what treasures might be hidden within the hive?”

“Let us not forget that one leaf is worth a king’s ransom,” said Laerion.  He grinned suddenly.  “I know of one little leaf that is worth a king’s ransom.”

All of the team turned to look at him, and Bellion began to laugh.  “Aye, so do I.  In which tree do you suppose we will find a small green leaf?”

Elladan and Nathrion watched with confusion as the three wood elves leapt into the trees, and Elladan quickly lost sight of them as they moved from branch to branch.  A child’s giggle caught his attention and Elladan looked up to see Legolas smiling down at him.  The elfling began to make a buzzing noise as he stood on the tree limb and Elladan realized the child was about to jump.  He caught the bundle of buzzing elfling a moment later, and the wood elves landed silently around them.

“Legolas! You are indeed worth a king’s ransom,” laughed Elladan.

Legolas quit buzzing and grinned at him, then crossed both arms over his chest and demanded, “Where are my rocks?”

Elladan pulled the silver bag from his pocket, but held it just out of reach of the fingers grasping for it. “Wait, elfling!  What do we get for finding you and returning your stones to you?”

Another giggle escaped the child and he squirmed down from Elladan’s arms.  He searched his pockets, finally pulling forth from one of them a small, carved eagle. He seemed hesitant to give it up to Elladan, though, his face suddenly doubtful and he pulled the carving back close to himself.

A whistle caught Elladan’s attention, and he turned to see Garthon and his team enter the clearing. He was about to claim they had found Legolas first, when the wood elves of Garthon’s group descended on him. 

“That is Elladan!” called Garthon.  “Find Elrohir, the other of the pair, half of the whole!” He grinned at Elladan and winked, and Elladan knew the rhyme they had been given was about him and his twin. “Elrohir looks less mean and is already beaten up.”

Sadron clapped him on the back, rather too heartily, and then leapt into the trees to seek his twin.  Elladan growled low in his throat, looking from Legolas, whom he must convince to give up the token, to the trees where his injured brother was awaiting capture by Sadron, who had already pounced on him once.

More laughter sounded from the trees above him, and he saw Sadron carefully descending with Elrohir over his shoulder.  Elrohir was laughing at his ‘rescue,’ for another wood elf ‘forced’ Lathron to jump down first, with an admonishment to ‘jump clear of that root, my lord,’ and then held him at guard while Elrohir was brought down gently.

“Legolas,” said Elladan as he knelt down to the child’s level, “is this eagle your toy?” Legolas nodded at him, still grasping the carving tightly to him while his eyes showed a growing outrage at his brother being guarded. He smiled slyly. “If I go rescue Lathron from the clutches of Feredir, may I then borrow your eagle for just a little while? I promise to return him to you.”

Legolas nodded again, still clutching the toy and his eyes growing wider as Feredir continued to hold Lathron’s arms behind his back. Taking advantage of everyone’s eyes being focused on the other elves, Elladan let loose with a war cry as he dove at Feredir’s knees. He brought the elf down, landing on top of him, and Feredir was wise enough to let go of his prince before sprawling on the ground.

“You were upsetting Legolas,” Elladan informed him.  He rolled off Feredir and they both sat up as Legolas flew to Lathron. Elladan did not hear what Lathron whispered in the child’s ear, as laughter all around them drowned him out, but a moment later Legolas slid to the ground and walked to Elladan, holding out his carved eagle.

‘Find him his mate
And she will give you a map’

Legolas paused, thinking, saying words to himself, then continued,

‘Then you will win
Because you have directions!’

“Close enough!” proclaimed Lathron as he scooped up his little brother.  He turned slightly to watch Elrohir as he gave the next clue to Garthon’s team, and then gave Elladan a slight push. “Go! The map and scroll go together!”

“Do not lose him,” Legolas admonished him as Elladan took the eagle.

“He is safe with me!” called Elladan as his team left the grove.

Faron led the group from the grove, whispering in Elladan’s ear, “There is an eagle’s eyrie half a league from here. We call him the sentry and I am sure there are eaglets in the nest. The mother will not appreciate us going anywhere near her young.”

Elladan trotted along next to Faron, his eyes scanning the trees and ground for any additional clues. “Perhaps she will come to us, with the right gift.”

* * *

Elrohir laughed until tears ran down his face, finally collapsing on the ground next to Lathron and a nearly worn out from giggling Legolas.

“That look on Elladan’s face when Sadron came to ‘rescue’ you,” laughed Lathron. “He was going to eat Sadron alive if he so much as mussed a hair on your head!”

Elrohir pulled Legolas to him. “And you did not like Feredir capturing your brother, did you?”

Legolas’s eyes flashed for a moment, and he muttered, “He should not have done that.”

Lathron looked at the elfling, concern in his eyes. “Legolas, this was part of the game. Did you forget that I was to be captured so they could rescue Elrohir?”

“You did not fight them,” murmured Legolas, his eyes fixed on the ground.

“No, I did not,” replied Lathron softly. “This is just a game, Legolas.  If these had really been enemies, I would have fought them and Elrohir would have too. But these were friends, playing a game.”

“But you did like it when Elladan knocked Feredir to the ground, away from your brother?” Elrohir tipped up Legolas’s face so he could see the child’s eyes, and was rewarded with a grin.

“I liked that part very much,” agreed Legolas. He crawled over Elrohir’s lap to Lathron. “When I am grown up, I will protect you, Lathron.”

Lathron hugged the elfling close.  “Thank you, Legolas. May I protect you until then, though?”

Legolas giggled. “Yes.” He looked up at the cry of an eagle overhead, and saw it swooping down into the trees.  “Look!” he cried.  “The eagle has the scroll in her claw!”

The three watched as the eagle descended into the canopy of trees, followed a moment later by her mate.  Only a short time passed before she appeared above them again, prey now replacing the scroll in her claws, and they watched in awe as she flew back towards her nest with the gift in hand.  The male eagle appeared moments later, his keen eye fixed on them as he soared and then dipped into the grove.  He called loudly and then released something from his claw.  Elrohir caught the token in the air.

“It is your eagle!” he told Legolas.

Legolas took the carving, his fingers wrapping tightly about it as he tipped his head back to watch the eagle fly away.  His eyes were as big as saucers and his mouth opened in a perfect ‘O’ as the eagle disappeared from sight.

“Well, that gives Elladan’s team an advantage,” said Lathron. “One of their obstacles was to cross the river and climb to the eyrie to trade the token for the scroll.”

“Elladan has climbed to the peaks where the eagles nest near Imladris,” said Elrohir.  “Adar feared when we were small that he would take flight with them before remembering he was but an elfling, without wings.  Our naneth always said the eagles would catch him and carry him with them.”

“Your naneth sounds wonderful,” said Lathron.

“She is,” answered Elrohir as thoughts of his mother filled his heart. He knew their long, unexpected absence was surely causing her to worry, and he could picture her on the balcony, looking to the east in hopes of seeing them come home. He looked at Lathron, then, and was struck by the depth of pain he saw in the elf’s eyes and the way he pulled the elfling close.  Lathron had told him Narawen, their mother, died the day Legolas was born.  To Elrohir’s eyes, the child was well nurtured and loved in his naneth’s absence, but the pain in Lathron was palpable.  Leaning back against the tree, Elrohir wrapped an arm about Lathron’s shoulders and stroked the dark hair, even as Lathron did the same to the golden head resting against his shoulder.

“Tathiel is going to be a naneth,” said Legolas unexpectedly. He looked at Elrohir conspiratorially. “There is a baby elfling in her stomach.”

Elrohir watched as the pain in Lathron’s eyes eased a little as he laughed at Legolas’s words.

“Indeed she is. And Tathiel has said you can be a big brother to her baby. Do you hope for an elleth or an ellon, Legolas? A baby sister or baby brother?”

Legolas seemed to ponder the question intently, then asked Elrohir, “Do you have sisters or other brothers?”

“I have a sister, Arwen, who is younger than Elladan and me,” answered Elrohir.

Legolas leaned back against Lathron’s chest as he counted on his fingers, “I have Bregolas brother, Lathron brother, ‘Duil brother, Elenath sister and ‘Meril sister. I have Tinánia and Eärundra.  Everyone is bigger than me, though.” He fell quiet again as he pondered all of this, then turned to Lathron, “Do you like having little brothers or little sisters more?”

Lathron smiled indulgently. “I like having both, Legolas.”

“Oh,” mused Legolas. “Well, then I will like either one too.  Tathiel can have an elleth or an ellon and I will like the elfling either way.”

Lathron laughed again then, and snuggled the elfling closer to him.  Legolas yawned and let himself be cuddled, and to Elrohir’s eyes, Lathron’s arms were clearly a favorite place for the child to be.  He could not help but see himself and Elladan as children, in Glorfindel’s arms, holding on to the golden haired warrior with the same love Legolas held for his grown brother.

“Shall we return to the training fields?” asked Lathron as he set Legolas on his feet.  “We want to see which team crosses the finish line first.”

Legolas’s eyes widened with excitement and anticipation, and he grabbed Elrohir’s hand as if to pull him to his feet.  “Come, Elrohir! Let us go see if your brother wins!”

* * *

Elladan heard the groans around him as the elves looked up the nearly sheer face of the cliffs before them.  He stepped back to survey the obstacle as well as his team. Nathrion was still soaked from learning to traverse a rope bridge with the speed of a wood elf.  A grinning Laerion had fished the Imladris warrior from the Forest River, but his smile had faded when the two competing teams collided again while rescuing more lost wood elves.  Garthon had knocked Laerion from the air as the wood elf leapt from one tree to another, and although it had been an unfortunate accident, Laerion was still limping slightly.  Elladan could not help but grin slightly at Laerion; he was unsure if Garthon’s actions had really been accidental!

Bellion and Faron were still intent on the competition.  Bellion had told him that the scout they were to try to capture was Meren, and he seemed strangely obsessed with finding her.

“It is because she beat him this morning in the archery contest,” said Faron knowingly.

“It is not,” replied Bellion absently as his gaze settled on the treeline before them.

“It is.”

“Not,” finished Bellion.  “Now be quiet and figure out how to scale this cliff.  What are we looking for again?”

“Silver rings, perhaps?” answered Faron as he moved his hands across the smooth rock surface.

Bellion spun to face him.  “What did you say?”

Faron grinned.  “Silver rings we can wedge into the rock fissures, then loop rope through so we may climb.”

Elladan stepped lightly between the two giants before they could begin a spontaneous contest in unarmed combat. “A jeweled dagger,” he reminded them without needing to consult the scrolls tucked into his tunic.  His gaze drifted to the cliff face again.  “It should sparkle and shine in the sun.” He paused, then added, “Too bad none of you wood elves can speak to the squirrels.”

Faron began to laugh, then leapt lightly into the trees. A few moments later they heard a chattering in the tree and then silence. Bellion began searching his pockets and then motioned to Elladan to do the same.

“What are we doing?” asked Elladan as he realized he did not know what he was looking for.

“The squirrel will insist on a trade,” answered Laerion from behind them. 

Elladan felt Laerion’s fingers in his hair and jerked away, only to find himself grabbed and held tightly by Bellion.  He struggled against the elf, but Bellion laughed as if he were but an elfling.

“They are perfect!” he agreed.  “Good choice, Laerion.”

Elladan felt Laerion tug the star clasps from his hair, and struggled to free himself.  He raised his arms up between himself and Bellion and shoved against the elf’s chest.  Abruptly, Bellion released him and he sprawled in the dirt on his backside.  Elladan looked up to see Laerion disappearing into the tree.

Dusting himself off, Elladan caught sight of Nathrion lying on a rock, drying himself and his clothing in the sunshine. “Nice of you to come to my aid,” he reprimanded the elf, scowling.

“Given a choice, the squirrel would surely choose your hair clasps over anything else,” yawned Nathrion lazily.

Chattering above their heads interrupted the argument, and Bellion wisely grabbed the two Imladris elves by the arms and pulled them away from the cliff.  A moment later the squirrel nudged the sheathed dagger over the cliff edge, and Bellion caught the jeweled handle.  Chattering furiously, the squirrel raced back to his tree. They heard his excited chatter rise in pitch as he claimed his trade and then the area fell silent.  Laerion and Faron dropped silently back to the forest floor.

Faron laid his hand on Elladan’s shoulder.  “My captain, you have made that squirrel very happy.  He should be able to trade those hair clasps, if he is ever in need, for a lifetime’s supply of acorns.”

Elladan was about to answer when he felt fingers roaming through his hair again.  The three wood elves again pinned him, laughing, as Faron tied back his hair with leather thongs where the clasps had been.  “We would not want your beauty hidden,” teased Laerion. “A beautiful wood elf might be waiting at the finish line to claim the prince of Imladris.”

“That would be his twin,” laughed Nathrion, ducking as Elladan swung at him.

Bellion darted suddenly into the trees, waving for the others to follow.

“He has spotted her!” whispered Faron with glee.  He grinned slyly.  “Hmm, do you think she might not be so hard to catch, if we leave him as the only pursuer?”

Elladan laughed. “She did appear to enjoy being caught by him after she beat him earlier.”

Bellion turned and flashed them a smile as he flew through the trees ahead of them, but when the four fell back to continue the token hunt, he did not seem the least dismayed to pursue his quarry alone.

* * *

Elladan sprinted to the finish line, the rest of his team on his heels, and Bellion with Meren slung over one shoulder.  She had beat on his back half-heartedly at being carried thus, but when he swatted her bottom she squealed and then cased squirming. Elladan shook his head at the antics, knowing if he were to return to the woodland realm in the future, the two would be bouncing an elfling in their laps in front of a little cottage they called home.  He smiled, happy for them.

The sound of the crowd cheering invaded his consciousness, and he saw the final flag tied to the top of a pole. In his mind he was already making a final leap high into the air and grasping the banner in his fingers as he plummeted back to the earth.  His feet flew along the grassy field, long strides carrying him ever closer to the final prize.

He saw Sadron out of the corner of his eye, racing through the trees. The wood elf was equally intent on the prize, and appeared not to have seen Elladan racing for the same spot.  Determination rose within him.  He would not lose to Sadron and he would take down the elf.  He was nearing the pole when he saw Sadron leap from the tree above him, sailing over his head to a smaller tree near the pole.  Elladan leapt from the ground as if the grass had risen up to throw him into the air. His fingers grasped the banner first, and he tugged it down even as he collided with Sadron in mid-air.

To Elladan’s everlasting joy, he landed on top of the wood elf, plastering Sadron’s face into the dirt below them.

“Hrrmmpphhh,” sputtered Sadron once Elladan had rolled off his back, spitting dirt and grass back on to the ground.  The cheering of the crowd drowned out all other sound, and then their teammates were surrounding them and picking them up.

“Elrohir, your brother won!  Your brother won!” squealed Legolas, clapping his hands and then spinning around in front of Elrohir.

“Bellion!  Do the rest of us get to kiss the scout too?” asked Faron, his hands tickling at Meren’s sides as she laughed into Bellion’s kiss and tried to skirt away from the obnoxious warrior.

Glorfindel and Rawien were tallying up tokens and accounting for scouts and lost elves.  Rawien laughed as he untied Galithon from the bonds in which Garthon’s team had tied him. “It may have been only a game, Galithon, but you are his captain. I would begin planning retaliation now,” he suggested to the amused older elf as Galithon looked imperiously down upon the smug Lacthoniel.

“Remind me how it was that I ended up being a scout for this event?” inquired Galithon as he turned his gaze to Rawien.

“You lost the bet, my friend,” laughed Rawien. “Do not blame me!”

Elladan accepted congratulations from his teammates, and then turned to help Sadron.  He brushed the dirt and leaves from the elf’s tunic and hair.

“Well done, Elladan,” said Sadron as he straightened his clothing. “I let you win, you know.”

“Sure you did,” replied Elladan, laughing.

“I suppose you are happy now that you have flattened me.”

“Very,” answered Elladan agreeably.

Sadron grinned at him, and then Elladan felt the familiar presence of his twin.  Elrohir wrapped his arms around him and rested his chin on his twin’s shoulder.  Elladan felt Elrohir’s fingers running through his hair, but their presence was welcome, and he leaned into the touch.  Moments later he felt his braids redone and secured firmly, and when he reached to touch them he felt the familiar star clasps.  Where each twin usually wore four, now each had two, and for reasons unexplainable to him, Elladan felt emotion well up in him.  Elrohir’s thumb brushed away a tear that spilled from his eye, and then his twin smiled and pushed him forward gently.

“Your team is waiting for you.”

* * *

Thranduil strode to the small platform that had been set up at the side of the training field.  He stood here each year when they introduced new novices and warriors, and occasionally for special events such as today. As he walked to the middle of the small stage, his people cheered and clapped and then bowed before him.  He quickly raised his hands, bringing them to their feet again before him.

“In celebration of our visitors from Imladris, competitions in archery, sparring and tracking have been held today.  The woodland realm honors all those who won their competitions.  Legolas?”

Legolas flew on to the stage as Tathiel released him, jumping into Thranduil’s arms amidst the cheers from the crowd.  Thranduil smiled at his son, the child looking every inch the little prince that he was.  Tathiel had dressed him in his spring finery, braided his hair in the style of the House of Oropher, and carefully placed a small circlet upon his head. He laughed and smiled at all the people standing before them, waving at those he knew. Thranduil set him on a stool near the table almost reluctantly, for he enjoyed having an elfling to hold as he moved among his people.

Thranduil called forward the winners for each competition and congratulated them personally. Each bowed before him, and Legolas handed him wreaths of woodland flowers, which Thranduil placed on each head.  He kissed Meren on each cheek, whispering words in her ear that made her blush and laugh like a young maiden again.  Elladan and Bregolas he crowned together, and he looked with pride on the two dark heads, sons of lords and kings.  Sons that would stand together, if need be, to fight darkness once again.

Bregolas moved to stand at his side, then, and the rest of Elladan’s team came forward.  With much laughter they were crowned in woodland wreaths, proclaiming their victory. Thranduil noted Bellion, Faron and Laerion jostling Elladan between them, pulling surreptitiously on his braids and trying to knock him off balance. Elladan slapped away the fingers that kept trying to steal his hair clasps,  getting in a few good swats of his own. The quiet elf of Imladris, Nathrion, seemed content to laugh from the sidelines until Laerion pulled him into the group for a bow to the crowd.

“You are all incorrigible,” said Thranduil in a voice meant only for the ears of the misbehaving elves before him.  Laughing, he herded them off the stage. He lifted a delighted Legolas on top of his shoulders, and then with a final wave to the crowd he wandered off into the mass of elves to celebrate with them.

* * * * *





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List