Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

18. The Song is Sung

It had been several months since the archery contest and Neridwen now sat cross- legged on the floor in the gallery, her paint pots scattered about her in disarray that was more of Estellan's making than her own. Whilst he was still far too young to do more than delight in the feel of the slippery texture of the colours between his fingers and, to Neridwen's amusement, his toes, as he tentatively practiced his first attempts at walking, he definitely showed an interest in his Naneth's craft. Or so was the excuse she offered by way of explanation to Galadriel when she noticed her Lady frowning upon the multi-coloured footprints on the sheet that protected the stone floor from also becoming paint covered.

"You have captured the excitement of the tournament well. Your work is excellent as usual, although I see that both Legolas and Haldir appear even more beautiful than either are in life," commented Galadriel with a note of amusement in her voice as she examined the scene depicting Legolas' winning shot that was to form the background for the arrow that he had used. Celeborn had requested and been given the arrow for his collection, and Neridwen had naturally offered to paint the story into the mural.

"It is how I see them," she said simply with a slight shrug and unable to prevent the delicate blush that rose to her cheeks.

"Just so," replied Galadriel nodding her understanding and smiling a greeting to Legolas as he entered the hallway.

"My Lord Celeborn requests your presence in the library, my Lady," he said with a slight bow in reply.

"Thank you, Legolas. I will see you at the concert later," she said to them both as she left to answer her summons. Neridwen nodded acknowledgement as she stood up after finally adding the finishing touches to the picture. Satisfied with the result, she began the task of collecting her pots and brushes, indicating to Legolas that he should take charge of their son.

"Estellan! Come to Adar!" he called as he knelt down and opened his arms out to his son. The elfling's eyes shone with recognition, and he laughed happily as he took a few awkward steps towards his Adar. He faltered slightly at the last but was swiftly captured in loving arms and lifted into the air. "Well done, little one!" exclaimed Legolas proudly, rewarding his son with a kiss on the brow.

"Ai, Legolas, be careful! He has paint on his feet!" The warning from Neridwen came too late to prevent the silver tunic from becoming decorated with rainbow coloured streaks from the small toes.

"Now we will both have to repair our appearance, for it is almost time to leave for the music festival," he said playfully chiding his son. "Come, we will leave Naneth to clean up here. We have plenty of time for a nice bath, have we not?" he asked Neridwen, who replied with a nod. Besides painting, bathing was also one of Estellan's pleasures, and Legolas had quickly learned that it was much easier to bathe with the elfling, rather than be forced to change into dry clothes after each bath. Estellan loved to splash water everywhere.

                                                    *******

Aside from journeying to Tirion to allow Neridwen to add to Celeborn's mural, Legolas and his family had timed their visit to coincide with one of the many music festivals that were held in the fair city. Thranduil and Elisiel had also accompanied them, and Elrond and his family, who also wished to attend this particular festival, had arrived several days earlier. All were eagerly awaiting the concert that was due to begin later that afternoon. It was the one at which Celeborn was to sing a duet with Glorfindel

Much to Celeborn's surprise, Thranduil had offered to forgo claiming his forfeit, should he wish, but his kinsman had refused to be released from his obligation, declaring it was a matter of honour.

"I accepted the wager, and I will pay my debt. Glorfindel has tutored me in the songs we are to sing, and I find I am actually looking forward to the experience," he explained to Thranduil as they took their midday meal with Elrond, Celebrķan and Elisiel on the balcony outside the library.

"As are we all," said Elrond with a wry grin, wondering at Celeborn's eagerness to perform what he expected to be one of Glorfindel's more 'colourful' favourites.

"Elisiel, you must be sure to see Neridwen's painting before we leave, it is simply beautiful," said Galadriel to Thranduil's wife as she stepped out onto the balcony and took her place at the table beside Celeborn.

"If you will excuse me, I will do so now. No doubt she could use some help cleaning up, for I know how much Estellan enjoys 'helping' her work," said Elisiel, laughing softly at the look on Galadriel's face that confirmed her suspicions. "Come, Thranduil, we may need your help as well," she added, taking her husband by the hand.

"Do not forget that we will be leaving for the concert hall in about two hours," Celeborn reminded them as they left.

"Legolas said you wished to see me?" said Galadriel as she delicately ate the slice of apple Celeborn handed her.

"I always wish to see you," he replied tenderly kissing her fingertips, ignoring the presence of his daughter and her husband for a few moments. "But I believe it is Elrond who has some news to impart," he stated, turning the conversation over to his son in law with a slight nod of his head.

"I actually have two pieces of good news to tell. Firstly, Elrohir has indicated that he wishes to assist me in teaching Lore to the young ones," he said proudly.

"I did not realise he had such an interest," commented Celeborn.

"Neither did we, Adar. Apparently he has been revising his lessons with Glorfindel for quite some time now, and feels he is ready to teach," explained Celebrķan.

"I am sure that his choice pleases you greatly, Elrond," said Galadriel, knowing full well that it did.

"It does, but so does my other news. Elladan announced that he and Mariel have conceived a daughter," Elrond informed them, unable to keep the delighted smile from his face.

"That is indeed wonderful to hear as well," agreed Galadriel, genuinely pleased at the prospect of another elfling in the family.

"Certainly something to sing about!" declared Celeborn, causing a ripple of merry laughter to flow through the group.

The hall chosen for this particular music festival was located in the vast grounds of the park that was near the centre of the city. The building itself was circular in shape, with several elegantly carved arched doorways at regular intervals around the outside, and the seating was arranged in a series of circles around the small stage, allowing the performers to be the centre of attention.

After everyone had offered congratulations, with words and affectionate hugs and kisses to Elladan and Mariel, Celeborn's family and friends quickly settled themselves in the front circle of seats and waited for the concert to begin. Silence descended on the crowded hall as the first performers stepped onto the stage and began to play several melodies that captivated all who heard them.

As the last notes of the harp music died on the breeze, there was a moment of silence, followed by a thunderous round of applause for the skill of the musicians. The applause continued as the extremely popular Glorfindel took his place on the stage. He settled himself on a stool and plucked a few introductory notes on his harp while he waited until there was silence once again before speaking.

"As many of you are aware, Lord Celeborn has graciously agreed to sing a duet with me this afternoon," he said by way of introduction and bowing to his companion who had settled himself on one of the other stools on the stage

Just as the music before had mesmerised the audience, so too did the sweet, clear voices of the two Elf lords as they sang a song, the words of which wove a tale that began with the awakening of the Firstborn and ended with their fading from Middle Earth and their arrival in Valinor. As if by some magic, or power unseen, everyone in the audience felt as if they were experiencing every moment, and their spirits were lifted as they sensed the beauty of the Undying Lands and their own melodies as they formed part of the greater song. As the sound of their voices faded into silence and the story ended, many eyes glistened with tears as they either rejoiced in their happiness, or were overcome with sadness for loved ones who were ever waiting in the Halls of Mandos. Once the audience had recovered from the intensity of the experience, their applause once more filled the hall, and the singers received a standing ovation.

The song was most assuredly not the kind that Thranduil, or even Elrond had expected to hear from Glorfindel, but they were both equally impressed with the both the lyrics, and the voices of the performers. Glorfindel could sense the surprise, and the slight disappointment and winked mischievously at his friends as he once again addressed the audience.

. "I trust you will enjoy our next offering, particularly you, my dear Thranduil," he said acknowledging the Elf with a smile as he took up his harp once more. This time, to the astonishment of all, the song was not one of Glorfindel's more 'colourful' favourites; it was in fact a drinking song Gimli had taught him many years ago.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List