Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

4. Surprise!

Thranduil leaned back against the trunk of the large beech tree, his arms tenderly holding his wife who lay sleepily against his chest. They had come to the glade he had discovered earlier, to satisfy their hunger for both food and each other’s bodies, and now they were content to just savour each other’s presence as they watched the play of the fading sunlight on the leaves of the trees.

“Elisiel? Are you awake?” he whispered softly, as he nuzzled her silken tresses with his cheek. 

“I think so,” came the drowsy reply. 

“Can you hear the trees whispering?” asked Thranduil as he closed his eyes the better to let the leafy voices fill his senses.  

“Yes, they are welcoming you to Valinor. They are speaking of their pleasure in seeing us together at last,” she answered smiling up at him. 

“How can they be that familiar with us both, we who are strangers in this forest?” he asked. 

 “We are not really strangers. Whenever I was feeling our separation too deeply, I would come here and talk to the trees. I would imagine I was back in Mirkwood, waiting for you to return from one of your hunting trips. The trees know me well, and when I looked into my heart to see you, so did they. They learned how much I missed you and Legolas, and that I always felt close to you when I came here,” she explained as she lazily traced her fingers around the open neck of his shirt.

“Even though I had Legolas to comfort me, I still missed you very much all the years we were apart. It was a painful time for us all.  I am sorry that I did not come to you sooner, but I could not find the strength of will to leave my people and the realm Oropher fought so hard to build,” said Thranduil, his mood turning melancholy at the sudden realisation that he was now a King without a realm. It mattered little to him since he was now reunited with his wife and son, and he was certain that, in time, he would become accustomed to the change. 

“I know, and I understand now that sometimes our paths are laid out for us by a higher power, leaving us no choice but to follow them, no matter how much we might wish it otherwise. Still, I often wondered how I could allow the call of the sea could force me to leave my husband and son, and all that was dear to me. I could not resist it as Legolas did for so long, and I am so sorry for causing you both such pain,” she said tearfully. 

“There is no more need for tears, we are together now. Take comfort in the knowledge that we are not mortal, and that we were really only separated for a brief moment in time, as we measure it.  Let us put the past behind us,” he said as he brushed her tears away with gentle kisses.

“I love you,” she sighed softly as she rested her head on his shoulder once more.

“I love you,” he whispered in return as they relaxed together in the warmth of the afternoon sun, and the serenity that drifted over them as they lay contentedly in each other’s arms. As they listened to the soft voices of the trees, the gentle beating of their hearts was as a lullaby singing them into a peaceful slumber. 

Hours later when the shadows had deepened and the first stars appeared in the sky, Elisiel awoke and realised that it was well past time they returned to the house. Part of her rebelled at the thought of moving out of Thranduil’s arms, such was the pleasure she found in them, but Legolas had other plans for Thranduil this evening. 

“Wake up, Thranduil,” she whispered into his ear, an action that caused his eyes to quickly refocus from his sleep. Unable to resist the temptation, he greeted her with a passionate kiss. “We should be heading back now,” she said when he finally released her lips.  

“There is no reason to hurry, let us stay a little longer and enjoy the light of the stars,” he suggested. Elisiel thought that was an excellent idea, except for the fact that she and her son had made other arrangements for Thranduil this particular evening. 

“There will be many other nights for us to share, my love. Tonight I promised to look after Estellan, to give Legolas and Neridwen some time together,” she said avoiding looking at her husband, who nevertheless easily detected the falsehood. Thranduil suspected that his wife and son were involved in some kind of conspiracy, but he kept his silence, not wishing to spoil their plans.  

“Well, I am certainly willing to share your company with my grandson,” said Thranduil, his smiling eyes telling her he was not deceived. “Shall we go and see if he is waiting for us?”  

They arrived to find the house empty of its inhabitants, but there was a note from Legolas informing them that he and Neridwen had taken Estellan to the small cove nearby, and inviting his parents to join them. 

“It is around the other side of the cliff, just a short walk through the forest,” explained Elisiel in response to Thranduil’s query. “It is well protected from stormy weather, and Legolas’ grey ship is moored at the wharf he and Gimli built. He and Neridwen often take Estellan there so that he can feel the sea breeze and bathe in the starlight.” 

“I did not realise that the ship was still intact. I know that Legolas and Gimli, and on occasion, Aragorn, took a great deal of pleasure in the building of it, even though it symbolised the end of their time in Middle-earth,” said Thranduil. “I should very much like to see it again.”

“Then come with me,” said Elisiel, taking his hand.  

 As they stepped out onto the beach, Thranduil felt the warm sea breeze that followed the waves into the shore caress his lips, leaving a salty tang on his tongue. He smiled as Elisiel quickly removed her slippers so that she could walk barefoot on the soft, pearly white sand. When the foam of the waves came too close and threatened to dampen her skirts, Elisiel delicately lifted them above her ankles, daring the sea to claim her toes, laughing gaily when it did.

A short distance around the cove Thranduil could see the ship that was moored alongside a small wharf that jutted out into the sea. The ship was larger than he recalled, and tonight it was gaily decorated with lanterns and garlands of flowers, after the fashion of decoration he favoured in his Hall at Eryn Lasgalen. The sound of merry laughter and the sweet music of harps from on board the ship drifted across the water that was black beneath the cloudless night sky. Looking up, he gazed in wonder at the brilliance of the stars that seemed to shine so much more brightly in this part of the sky than they ever had in the part above Mirkwood.

Thranduil noticed that several groups of Elves had gathered on the shore to dance around a large bonfire, and when they saw him, many turned and waved as they called greetings to him.

“I recognise most of those Elves, they are my friends from Eryn Lasgalen and Ithilien, if I am not mistaken,” said Thranduil happily retuning the salutations.

“Many of those who sailed West before us live elsewhere in Valinor, but I made certain to invite all our friends who live in Alqualondë to help celebrate your arrival,” said Legolas as he walked up to join his parents.

“What a wonderful surprise! Thank you both!” exclaimed Thranduil sincerely. Despite knowing that something was afoot, he had not imagined it to be a Woodland style feast by the sea. “I must go and speak with them,” he said, the eagerness in his voice matched by the long strides he took as he hurried towards his friends of old.

 Elisiel remained behind with Legolas, smiling happily at the many happy reunions that were taking place. Thranduil had been a stern but fair King, and those who had once chosen to live under his rule obviously still adored him, for there was much gaiety and laughter coming from the group that had swelled greatly in numbers as more Elves arrived for the feast.

Thranduil was so preoccupied that he did not notice the approach of Elrond and Glorfindel.

 “It is about time you turned up, Thranduil. I am tired of having only Elrond here as a companion!” exclaimed Glorfindel as, with total disregard for his friend’s dignity, he drew Thranduil into an affectionate embrace. Thranduil returned the hug as he laughed out loud.

“I see you are as incorrigible as ever, Glorfindel, it is good to see you again,” he replied.

“Greetings, Thranduil. I am pleased your journey was a safe one,” Elrond said in his usual sedate manner.

“It is also good to see you once more Elrond,” said Thranduil, taking his lead from Glorfindel and embracing the once Lord of Imladris, catching a wink of amusement from the golden elf lord as they realised that Elrond did not really object to the display, as was evidenced by his welcoming smile.

 “I trust that Elisiel is well?” he asked, ignoring Glorfindel’s less than polite snort that was laced with innuendo.

“Yes, I am thank you, both in body and spirit, thanks to Thranduil,” said Elisiel her eyes warning Glorfindel not to comment further, as she and Celebrían caught up with their husbands. Glorfindel bowed politely accepting the friendly rebuke and said nothing more as Thranduil walked up to Elrond’s wife and lightly kissed the back of her hand.

“It has been far too long since I looked on your lovely face, Celebrían,” he said gallantly.

“I am pleased to see you have lost none of your charm, Thranduil,” she replied with a smile. “Is your adorable grandson in attendance this evening? I do not see Neridwen amongst this crowd of admirers,” she said lightly.

“They are here, but….”

“They are on board the ship,” Elisiel finished the sentence for him. “Legolas is showing Estellan off to some of the others who arrived with Thranduil,” Elisiel explained to Celebrían who nodded with understanding. Elladan and Elrohir had both behaved in a similar fashion when they had become adars themselves. “Would you like me to take you to see him?” she offered.

 “Of course,” replied Celebrían, taking her friend’s arm as they headed towards the ship.

 “It seems that I have met my match, Thranduil. Your grandson obviously possesses even more charm than I do,” said Glorfindel with a disappointed sigh as the two ladies departed without a backward glance. “However, “ he said his face brightening with a brilliant smile, "I am sure I know where Legolas keeps a few good bottles of wine on that ship of his. Shall we?” he asked, placing an arm around the shoulders of his friends as they also made their way to the ship.

Glorfindel quickly found the wine, as well as three goblets, and the friends of old settled themselves on a seat at the stern of the ship and raised their glasses in a toast to friends and family.

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List