Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

3. Adars and Sons.

"What do you think of my skill as a stone carver?" asked Legolas as knelt beside Thranduil and brushed some fallen leaves away from the headstone. He and Elisiel had returned from Alqualondë and Legolas had been sent in search of Thranduil while his wife and his Naneth fussed over Estellan.

"This is your handiwork?" asked a very surprised Thranduil, taking a closer look at the carving. "To my eye it is quite good, but I am sorry to say I do not think it is even close to Dwarvish standards." Legolas smiled at what he imagined Gimli might have replied to that comment, which undoubtedly would have reflected his Adar's poor opinion of the work. Legolas was certain it would have surprised the Dwarf to know that although Thranduil had never liked Gimli's kind, he had always appreciated fine craftsmanship, no matter the source.

"I am sure Gimli would agree, he often said my work was barely acceptable for an apprentice, and that I was fortunate to be immortal because it would likely take me that long to master the art," said Legolas with a sad smile as he heard Gimli's gruff voice saying those words in his memory.

"I am sure he would approve of a work that was carved with so much love, although little skill," said Thranduil, offering comfort with his words and the hand he placed gently on his son's shoulder. "From the tale Neridwen told me, it appears that Gimli was partly responsible for you two meeting when you arrived here." Legolas smiled and nodded.

"Yes, I suppose he was," he agreed. "What other information did you manage to elicit from her?" he asked curiously, wondering whether it had been wise to leave Neridwen to the mercy of his formidable Adar, who no doubt had many questions he expected to be answered.

"I think she must have cast some kind of spell on me, for I was the one telling tales, mainly about a young elfling named Legolas," admitted Thranduil.

"Cast a spell? More like captured you heart, I would say," said Legolas sighed with relief. "Apparently you are just as besotted with Neridwen as you are with our son," he said happily.

"How could I not be? But tell me, Legolas why did she refuse to discuss her family, other than to tell me her parents were killed by Orcs," asked Thranduil.

"It is a painful subject for Neridwen, she sailed here to try and recover from her grief," explained Legolas. "Both of her grandsires were killed in the Last Alliance, and as she said, the rest of her family were killed in an Orc attack as they travelled to Imladris when she was but a child."

"I do not recall seeing her at Imladris," said Thranduil. Over the centuries he had met most of the families who resided there.

"No, Neridwen is from Lothlórien, not Imladris. The family of one her Adar's friends took her in until she could no longer bear her grief, and rather than see her fade away, Lady Galadriel arranged with Círdan to send her to Valinor. She does not speak of those days often, even to me," he said.

"Then I will not cause her pain by asking her to speak of it again. And what of you Legolas? I have not had the chance to ask how you are bearing your grief?" he asked indicating Gimli's memorial.

"It has been difficult, Adar, and I was in so much turmoil when I arrived here. The passing of Aragorn was still an open wound that not even the love of my beautiful Neridwen could reach, for the wonder of her love was also new to me. Had it not been for Gimli, with his plain speaking and his ability to see the situation through unclouded eyes, I might not have been unable to come to terms with all the changes."

"His friendship obviously meant a great deal to you, as did Aragorn's," commented Thranduil, "I feared greatly that you would not find peace and contentment, even in Valinor, I am pleased Gimli was here to help you, as well as Neridwen, of course."

"Yes, he was of great comfort, and he also wielded his axe rather skilfully. When my mood became too dark for him to bear he would threaten to shorten my braids with it," said Legolas with a smile of affection for Gimli's unusual approach to lifting his spirits. "My beloved wife even once offered to hold me still while he did it!" he declared, causing Thranduil to laugh out loud.

"Did he have much time here?" asked Thranduil gently, realising that Elisiel had been right, for he could also sense the depth of his son's grief as they spoke.

"Not nearly enough for my liking," replied a melancholy voice. "We made good use of his remaining years, for aside from trying to teach me stone carving, he helped me build this house. After the initial distrust from some of our folk faded, he made many friends. He actually danced with Galadriel at my wedding, despite the stiffness in his joints that were the only indication of his ageing, aside from the greying of his hair and beard. He told Naneth that he was very happy to see me wed, and would be able to rest in peace knowing that he had passed the care of his 'crazy Elf' to one as lovely as Neridwen. I only wish he had been able to remain long enough to see Estellan born."

"Ai, I am sure he would have loved to see my delightful grandson. Legolas, I have no words to express how much it gladdens my heart to see that you have found someone to love you as you deserve to be loved," said Thranduil.

"Neridwen completes me Adar. I cannot imagine living a single minute without her, so strongly are our melodies entwined. It is true that my grief for my friends runs deep, but the love Neridwen and I share lightens all the darkness in my heart and soul. I did not believe such peace and contentment was possible, but those feelings were outshone by the joy I felt when my son was placed in my arms for the first time," Legolas said as tears of happiness filled his eyes. Thranduil reached for him and held him close; savouring the strengthening of the bond they shared now that Legolas was also an Adar.

"Now you understand just how much I love you, my son," he said. Legolas could not speak, so overcome was he with the emotion so he simply rested his head on his Adar's shoulder until the intensity of the moment passed. "Come, we are probably being missed by now," said Thranduil shortly, gently kissing his son's brow before releasing him.

Legolas turned to face the memorial and bowed his head in silent tribute to Gimli before indicating to his Adar that he was ready to return to the house.

"Neridwen tells me she was very fond of Gimli," said Thranduil, attempting to lighten the mood a little as he followed Legolas into a large room that was apparently where the family usually gathered. It was furnished with several comfortable armchairs arranged in front of a cosy looking fireplace, and one wall was devoted to shelves that housed many books.

"Much to Gimli's delight, she often conspired with him against me," he said loudly enough that Neridwen looked up from the book she was reading and simply rolled her eyes in exasperation. It was a complaint she had often heard before, and usually ignored.

"Of course we did not! We merely helped each other deal with a sometimes very morose Elf, in the only manner to which he would respond," she said haughtily in defence of their behaviour.

"Gimli and Neridwen were fond of teasing my poor son, in a manner very like Elladan and Elrohir did when they were young," explained Elisiel as she returned from the nursery and walked over to Legolas, putting her arm around his waist. Legolas hugged her close and sighed.

"Apparently I can expect no sympathy, even from my own Naneth," he said forlornly.

"I hope Estellan did not give you any trouble?" asked Neridwen, turning her attention to Elisiel.

"Unlike his dear Adar, he is never any trouble," she said smiling as she teased her son. "The sweet little elf fell asleep almost immediately," she added.

"It appears I have missed some interesting family gatherings," said Thranduil with a grin. "I am looking forward to hearing more about them in days to come. Have you finished your errands?" he asked turning to Elisiel, his eyes reminding her of her promise to show him the more secluded parts of Valinor.

"Yes, my time is now yours, and I have also prepared a picnic lunch for us. Shall we go and explore some more of your new home?" she asked, taking his hand and leading him to the kitchen where the picnic basket was to be found.

"I doubt we will see them for the rest of the afternoon," said Legolas to Neridwen as he watched his parents walk out into the forest, heading for the glade Thranduil had discovered earlier.

"Probably not," agreed Neridwen as she looked up into her husband's eyes. "Has something changed between you and Thranduil?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"When you walked into the room, I sensed that something very intense occurred between you two," she said. "Nothing bad, I hope?"

"No, just the opposite, something wonderful, a reaffirmation of the bond between us," said Legolas as he drew her into a loving embrace.

"Then since you have taken care of the plans for this evening, and Estellan is sleeping, perhaps we might find time to reaffirm our bond?" she asked suggestively as she reached up to gently trace a path around the tip of his ear with her finger. Legolas caught her hand and licked her fingertips in a very erotic manner as he gazed into eyes that were as darkened with desire as his own.

"I can think of nothing that would please me more," he whispered before claiming her lips in a passionate kiss. "Adar is going to our favourite glade," he said when they parted, his voice now husky with desire as Neridwen's hands began unbuttoning his shirt.

"I think we will find that the rug in front of the hearth is nice and soft," she said, gasping slightly as Legolas playfully nipped her neck.

It was.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List