Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Life is What Happens  by Pervinca

3: A Fine Day in Hobbiton

The following day, Paladin allowed his children to walk to Hobbiton, and personally deliver an acceptance note to Mister Bilbo Baggins. After delivering the note, they were free to spend the rest of the day in Hobbiton and Bywater.

Immediately after second breakfast, Pearl, Pimpernel, Pervinca and Pippin were ready to leave. The walk from their home near Tuckborough to Hobbiton was not particularly far, but they wanted to leave as early as possible so they could spend more time in Hobbiton.

Every time the Tooks went to Hobbiton, they followed the same routine. Pearl and Pimpernel would spend the day shopping, and being flattered by young hobbit bachelors. Pippin would general stay at Bag End, or go somewhere with Frodo Baggins, and, since she usually had nothing better to do, Pervinca would join them.

For Pervinca, this particular day would be slightly different. She just didn’t know it.

* * * * * *

The door of Bag End was opened by Frodo Baggins, Old Bilbo’s heir. A smile spread across his face and his blue eyes opened wide when he saw the four Took children on his doorstep.

"Frodo!" cried Pippin, immediately hugging his friend. Pippin was very fond of Frodo, even if Frodo was a fair bit older than him. Merry had introduced Pippin and Frodo, since Frodo, before being adopted by Bilbo and moving to Bag End, had lived in Brandy Hall. Frodo seemed to enjoy the company of his two younger cousins, as did Bilbo. Merry and Pippin were always ready to listen to one of Bilbo’s tales, and he was always ready to tell them.

"Welcome, welcome," Frodo greeted. "Come in. I’m afraid Bilbo may not be able to come out and see you. He’s very busy, organising the party."

"Yes, we came to give you this," said Pearl, handing Frodo the acceptance note.

Frodo smiled, and read the note aloud. "Dear Mr. Bilbo, My family and I would be honoured to join you at your Birthday celebration, and that of your heir, Frodo. May fortune shine on you both on these milestone ages. Sincerely, Paladin Took. Thank you, Pearl. And thank your father too. He always was such a fair spoken hobbit."

Frodo offered them all morning tea, but Pearl and Pimpernel told him that they had planned to spend the day in Bywater. Frodo thanked them for visiting, and led them to the door. Pervinca and Pippin stayed.

"So, how are things in the Great Smials?" Frodo asked, pouring a cup of tea for all three of them.

"Boring, as usual," answered Pippin. "Oh, except the day before yesterday. I put frogs and lizards in Pimpernel’s bed, and…" Pippin covered his mouth. He’d forgotten that Pervinca was still there, and she wasn’t supposed to know that the frog incidence had been Pippin’s doing.

Pervica smiled. "Don’t worry, Pippin. I already knew. I heard you and Merry talking yesterday."

"You’ve seen Merry?" said Frodo. "How is my favourite Brandybuck?"

"Same as always," Pervinca answered with a smile. "Honestly, sometimes those Brandybucks can be worse than we Tooks."

"If Merry’s your favourite Brandybuck, does that mean I’m your favourite Took?" asked Pippin.

"Now, Pippin," replied Frodo, "I can hardly tell you that while your lovely sister is here, can I?"

* * * * * *

Samwise Gamgee raced up the path that led from his home to Bag End. He had slept in that morning, and now he was late. Very late. In fact, he was supposed to have been at Bag End half an hour ago. With the party so soon, Bilbo needed his garden in near perfect condition. And that was Sam’s job.

"Oh, I really am going to get it today," Sam puffed. "Mister Bilbo has been in a rotten temper for the last few days, and he’ll be none to pleased to have his garden waiting for a lazy gardener."

He ran up to Bag End’s vivid green door and rapped lightly on it. From within the hobbit hole, he heard Frodo’s voice say, "Hold on a moment, I’ll just get the door."

As soon as the door was open, and Frodo appeared, Sam started babbling. "I’m oh so sorry, Mister Frodo. I know I was supposed to be here half an hour ago…but I was helping my the Gaffer last night…and didn’t get to bed until late…so I slept in this morning…and please tell Mister Bilbo not to be too mad at me…because it wasn’t really my fault…and…"

"Calm down, Sam!" laughed Frodo. He moved aside to let Sam into Bag End. "I’ll tell Bilbo not to be too hard on you, but to tell the truth, I doubt he’s even noticed that you’re late. He’s locked himself up in his study, writing invitations and all. Don’t worry about it."

Sam sighed, and looked quite relieved.

But at that moment, Bilbo’s voice called out from the depths of Bag End. "Frodo? Frodo, my lad! Has that dratted Gamgee boy arrived yet? He was supposed to be here half an hour ago, you know. Lucky he’s his father’s son, is all I can say!"

Sam went to pieces again. Frodo, thinking quickly to avoid a terrible situation, patted Sam on the back. "I’ll go talk to him. Why don’t you go to the kitchen? Pippin’s here. You can talk to him."

Sam bit his lip and nodded. He plodded to the kitchen, with a hung head. Frodo sighed, and ran to Bilbo’s study.

"Frodo," Bilbo greeted. "Has Sam showed up yet?"

"Well, uh, actually Bilbo, he’s been here the whole time." Frodo hated lying to Bilbo, but he could think of no other way to get Sam out of trouble. "It’s my fault, really. When he arrived, I started talking to him – sat him down, and made him join Pippin, Pervinca and myself for morning tea. I really am sorry, Bilbo. I didn’t even think that the gardens need a lot of work before the party."

"That’s alright, Frodo my boy. As long as Sam’s here, I don’t suppose it really matters. Pippin and Pervinca, you say? Did they come to visit?"

"Oh, yes. Pearl and Pimpernel came with them, but they wanted to go to Bywater, and left a while ago. They delivered this note from Paladin." Frodo handed Bilbo the Tooks’ acceptance note.

Bilbo read over it, and nodded. He called out again. "Hullo, Peregrin! Pervinca! Sorry I cannot come out and speak to you in person. Very busy."

Two voices called back in reply. "Hullo, Bilbo!"

A smile played on Bilbo’s lips. He really was fond of Paladin Took’s children. The youngest two especially. Pervinca reminded Bilbo of his mother. "Oh, well. I must get back to work. Entertain our guests for me, will you, Frodo?"

"Of course, Bilbo." Frodo left, and carefully closed the study door. He found, as he returned to the kitchen, that Sam had not gone there at all. He had stayed in the hallway, listening to Frodo and Bilbo’s conversation.

"Oh, thank you, Mister Frodo," Sam said, in a very pleased whisper.

Frodo grinned. "Just don’t be late tomorrow."

"Oh, I won’t be, don’t you worry about that."

"You should probably get to work, but first…you haven’t met any of Pippin’s sisters, have you Sam?"

Sam shook his head. "No, sir. I didn’t know Master Pippin had sisters."

"He has three older sisters. You missed Pearl and Pimpernel, but Pervinca is still here. And to tell the truth, Pervinca is probably the best one to meet."

Frodo and Sam walked to the kitchen together. They found Pippin hunting through all of the cupboards, searching for something to eat. As soon as he noticed them, he turned around, and tried to look innocent. "I…uh…wasn’t doing anything! Honest!"

Pervinca giggled, and turned to look at Frodo. When she saw his companion, her giggle caught in her throat. The hobbit with Frodo was obviously from a poorer family, but Pervinca had never been one to judge hobbits by their family status. He was slightly chubby, but not grossly fat like some of the hobbits she knew. But the thing that she noticed above all, was the devotion in his eyes. Here was a hobbit who would do anything for his master, or those he loved.

As Pervinca looked at him, Sam was regarding her with just as much interest. She was young, but at the same time, she looked like she had seen a lot. Probably has, being a Took and all. Sam was too young and inexperienced to judge true beauty (the only hobbitess he really knew that well was young Rosie Cotton), but he was sure that Pervinca was very fair. Her skin was soft and flawless (as far as Sam could tell), since she never had to do work for herself. Her pale brown curls shone in the sunlight that drifted through the kitchen window. No doubt, Pervinca had the most luxurious baths. Sam blushed from ear to ear. He felt a fool. Samwise Gamgee, you have no right to look on this young lass like this, he thought to himself. She’s a Took. You’re beneath her. You don’t have a chance.

Sam mumbled something that sounded like a greeting or introduction, then excused himself. He had a lot of work to do, he said.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List