Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Life  by frodo16424

Ch 7 Love

As Elrohir watched, the water rippled, and the image disappeared. He looked at Yaaraen, then said, “Now you see why I wish I was never born. Estel is the hope of Middle-Earth, and I almost killed him. Everything seems to go wrong whenever I am around.” He could feel tears start to fall.

Yaaraen said quietly, “It was not your fault your patrol ran into Orcs. You brought home every injured elf possible. Yes, there was loss of life. It is meet and proper to mourn those who now are in Mandros’ Halls. But - it is just as important to celebrate the living as well. No one could have done more, Elrohir Elrondion.”

Elrohir shook his head, saying, “They should have lived. They had families, loved ones that mourn.”

“Nay, their time had come to an end. Their stories have ended. Remember them, yes, but do not denigrate their deaths.” Yaaraen looked at the elf.

“Do you know what Estel told your Adar of the accident? Look into the water, remember what the halls of healing look like…”

As the being spoke, Elrohir looked back to the pool and watched and listened.

He saw his father and brother in one of the rooms in the infirmary of Rivendell. Elrond had apparently stitched Estel’s wound, as he had needle and thread in his hand.

“Estel, I am going to give you something to for the pain. I have one question-How did this happen?”

Estel looked at his foster father and said, “It was as much my fault as Elrohir’s. I was simply too close, and was not as attentive as I should have been. I should have seen Elrohir start to move. I do have one request. I know Elrohir will get some form of reprimand, and I wish to share it. It was not all his fault, and he should not have to bear it by himself.” Estel gasping with pain when he was done talking.

Elrond brought the cup of warm tea to Estel, telling him, “Drink this. It will dull the pain. You should get rest. As for sharing the punishment, I agree. Glorfindel will have him run the training run three times. Rest now, and I will deliver your wish to Glorfindel and Elrohir.” Elrond kissed Estel on the forehead, then blew out all the candles except for one on the mantle. Estel closed his eyes, and slept..

Again the image dissolved in ripples as Elrohir looked at Yaaraen. “He is willing to share my punishment,” whispered Elrohir. “Why? I almost killed him.”

“There is a simple answer - love. It is the most powerful gift Eru gave to all the beings of Arda,” replied Yaaraen. “It is strong enough to conquer hate, yet soft enough to hold the smallest of babes safe in their naneth’s arms.”

“There is one more scene you need to see. Look into the pool. See what the future holds if you still wish to not be born.” Yaaraen’s voice was commanding, and Elrohir did as he was bid.

Shadows were forming in the water, slowly getting clearer as he gazed. He saw Estel and Legolas facing a wraith riding a fell beast. He watched, aghast, as the beast hovered over the two. Suddenly, the wraith raised a sword, and struck.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List