Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Life  by frodo16424

Ch 6 Accident

Elrond stood watching Estel and Legolas as they finished their demonstration for the class. As Glorfindel spoke to the twins, asking them to show the class teamwork, the lord of Imladris came onto the training grounds. He had a slight smile as Glorfindel spotted him.

“May I be a part of the demonstration? It has been a while since I have been here.” With that, Elrond discarded his robe. He had on a tunic and leggings, and carried his bow and knives.

“Certainly. To make it even, I will be with Estel and Legolas, and you, if you wish, may partner with Elladan and Elrohir,” said Glorfindel.

“I believe this time, I will partner with Estel and Legolas, and you will partner with the twins. Later we will switch.” All agreed. Both Estel and Legolas wore wide grins, happy that Elrond had decided to join them.

As for Elladan, he was also grinning, as he had never had the chance to train with his Adar. Elrohir was sullen, and just shrugged. He did not really care who was with whom. He just wanted to be finished.

“Knives, Adar?” asked Elladan as he set his bow and quiver down. At his father’s nod, he brought the knives he had received from Legolas.

The sparring started. Estel, Legolas, and Elrond worked as a well-oiled team, watching for each other. Several times, Glorfindel would almost score a point, only to be pushed back. He was never able to get past the defense the three were putting up.

The teamwork of the three was thrilling to watch. Estel had already scored points on Elrohir, who was not really trying. Elladan and Legolas were tied at two each, while Elrond and Glorfindel had not scored any points on each other.

Finally, Glorfindel called a halt. Elrond was glad, as he was getting slightly winded. He knew he would have to do more training if he were to keep up with his seneschal.

“Very well, we will now switch. Elladan, Legolas and Elrond against Elrohir, Estel, and me,” said Glorfindel. As the others went to their places, Glorfindel murmured to Elrohir, “I trust you will try a little harder?”

Elrohir nodded, blushing slightly at the low-voiced reprimand. Again, they were set.

This time, the pace was quickened. Estel was the first to score on Elrond. Glorfindel had scored on Legolas, while the twins each scored on the other.

Elrohir was not really paying attention, and that is when it happened. Estel had stepped to the side to avoid Elrond’s blade, and wound up closer to Elrohir than either realized. As he turned to move, Elrohir moved in front to score on Elladan. As he brought his knife up, he realized just HOW close Estel was. Elrohir was unable to stop his knife from entering Estel’s side. With his forward momentum, it went in deep.

Estel gave a cry, then slumped to the ground. Instantly Elrond was there, giving comfort and aid.

“Adar, it was my fault!” cried Elrohir. “Estel, I’m sorry!”

Estel said, “It was my fault as well. Do not worry, Elrohir.” His face was pale, and he knew he was going into shock. He could feel the darkness beckoning, and consciousness fled. Elrond, with help from Elladan, was assisting the unconscious man to the healing rooms.

Glorfindel dismissed the class. He then turned to Elrohir. “I know it was an accident, but it is one that could have been avoided. Do you not agree?”

“Aye, you are right. I am willing to accept whatever punishment you decree.”

Glorfindel pondered, then said “Very well. You are to do the training run three times.”

Elrohir nodded his agreement. He knew he was in the wrong. He hoped Estel was not badly wounded. He turned dejectedly towards the salle to put his weapons away.

He realized Glorfindel was assisting him. The golden-haired elf looked at Elrohir and quietly said, “If you wish to talk, I will be happy to listen. Sometimes it is easier to share a burden with a friend.”

“Hannon le, Glorfindel. Perhaps I will accept your offer.” With that, Elrohir set the knives in their appointed place, and left the building.

  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List