Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Silver and Gold  by jenolas

Silver and Gold

Chapter 3.

Celeborn tried to arrange a meeting with Oropher on numerous occasions following their angry parting, but the Sindar was proving to be extremely elusive. He had not returned to his talan, as Celeborn discovered when he saw his unread message still pinned to the curtain that covered the doorway and several weeks passed before their paths finally crossed, and even then it was by mere chance rather than design.

“So, I have found you at last!” Celeborn muttered to himself as he picked up the carefully folded robe that lay beside a pair of soft leather shoes that he recognised as belonging to Oropher. He looked up into the foliage of the tree beneath which the clothing had been left and called to his quarry.

“Oropher! Come down here, I wish to speak to you!”

 “But I have only just made myself comfortable,” protested Oropher as he peered down at the silver haired Elf lord. “You must come up here if you wish to speak to me,” was the stubborn reply carried on silvery laughter. Celeborn sighed with exasperation and tried again.

“My attire is not suitable for climbing,” he said, indicating the voluminous robes he wore.

“Then put those heavy garments next to mine, unless of course you hesitate because you have forgotten how to climb without the aid of fancy stairs,” taunted Oropher, who now stood in full view on a wide branch midway up the tree. Celeborn was not surprised to see he was clad only in his under shirt and leggings, but he was astounded that his inner voice was urging him to do likewise. It had been so very long since he had walked freely among the treetops, and he was suddenly overwhelmed with the desire to do so.

“I have not forgotten how,” he answered sharply as he quickly shed his robe and boots and climbed nimbly up to join his friend. The branch was wide enough for them to sit facing each other, and for a few moments, no words were spoken as Celeborn allowed the serenity of the rustling leaves to wash over him. He took a deep breath of the sweet, warm air and sighed with pleasure as he felt the mellorn rumble a friendly welcome.

“Is this where you have been hiding of late?” Celeborn asked as he relaxed against the rough bark that covered the trunk of the ancient tree.

“Hiding?” scoffed Oropher.

 “Ai, I have made at least three unsuccessful visits to your talan, and my messages have gone unanswered. If you were not hiding, where were you?” he asked insistently.

“In the woods, courting the lovely Amiel,” replied Oropher with softness in his voice that hinted at his love.

“The maid you were dancing with at the Silvan gathering a few weeks ago?” Celeborn enquired, realising too late what he had said. Oropher’s eyebrows rose in astonishment.

“How do you know who I was dancing with, mellon nin? I do not recall seeing you at the feast,” he commented.  Celeborn made no reply, but his discomfiture was apparent to Oropher, who suddenly realised why. “Ai! Now that I think on it, I felt as if someone was watching us. Where were you? In the bushes?” he asked in jest, and laughing so hard that tears fell freely when Celeborn confirmed his unlikely guess with a nod.

“What ever possessed you to do such a thing?” Oropher asked when his laughter subsided.

“I was looking for you when I came upon the merrymaking, and I decided to remain out of sight watch rather than approach. I have never seen you so happy and carefree and I did not want to interrupt your fun,” Celeborn explained.

“I thank you for that, and am glad you finally saw me as I see myself,” he commented serious for but a moment until his mirth returned. “So you hid in the bushes? That is incredible. Does Galadriel know?”  Oropher was unable to keep the astonishment from his voice or gleam of delight from his eyes at the image of the stately Lord of Lórien crouching behind a bush and spying on his kin.

“I do not believe I mentioned the incident to her,” replied Celeborn haughtily but with a grimace as he imagined what his wife would think of such behaviour. A brief flash of fear lit his eyes as he suddenly realised that Oropher was likely to use the information as a weapon the next time he and Galadriel had words regarding what they each considered to be appropriate behaviour.

“Then neither will I, it will remain our secret,” Oropher assured him as if reading his thoughts. “I doubt she would take too kindly to the knowledge, and I have no desire to see you two at odds.” Celeborn was both relieved and grateful for the reassurance until he saw the wicked gleam in Oropher’s eye. “However, I have no control over what the trees might tell her. How do you suppose she would react to learning that we are sitting up here in our undergarments?”

“She would expect such unseemly behaviour from you, and be disappointed in me for allowing you to convince me to do this,” replied Celeborn, stating the obvious. “But enough of that tell me more about your lady.”

“Amiel is her name, and I will be happy to speak of her until you fall asleep with boredom, but first tell me what was so important that you needed to persist in seeking me out?” enquired Oropher in all seriousness. “Surely you are not still angry with me for losing my temper with Galadriel the other evening?”

“My anger over your arguing has calmed, but you had no right to ask me to take your part against my wife,” Celeborn stated.

“So my love for Amiel has made me realise, and I see now how difficult it must be for you to be caught between your love for Galadriel and your affection for me.  I hope you will forgive me for the pain I must have caused you,” Oropher said, reaching out to place his hand on Celeborn’s shoulder in a gesture of brotherly affection.

“I am amazed to see you in such a mellow mood, no doubt due to your lady’s influence. Does this mean you can learn to put your hated for the Noldor behind you? It has always been my heart’s desire that one day you and Galadriel would put aside your differences.” There was such hope in Celeborn’s voice that Oropher was loathe to answer, for his words could do nothing but hurt.

“I am sorry, but my feelings towards the Kinslayers and their descendant will never change, there is nothing so precious that warrants Elf slaying Elf. Anyway very soon you will no longer be forced to suffer from being caught between Galadriel and myself.  I intend to leave Lothlórien.” Celeborn’s eyes widened with shock at the unexpected turn of events.

“You do not need to leave for my sake,” he said.

“In fact, I do. I would have you remain you as happy and relaxed as you are now, which you will no doubt find easier to do if you are not required to negotiate peace between Galadriel and myself all the time. But that is not the only reason. As you saw at the feast, I much prefer the simpler way of life, and find that the Noldor influence over both Sindar and Silvan Elves in Lothlórien is becoming overpowering. Do not misunderstand,” he said holding his hand up to silence the protest he could almost see forming on Celeborn’s lips, “just as I have the right to live my life as I choose, so do you and Galadriel and your followers. It is just that your choice is different from mine. Of course, now that those Dwarves are infesting Moria, and once again trading with some of the Elves here, I find leaving even more appealing,” explained Oropher.

“Where will you go?” Celeborn whispered sadly, as his imagined fear of being distanced from his friend was becoming a reality.

“Come, I will show you,” replied Oropher as he stood, jumped lightly onto the branch above and then continued to climb to the very top of the tree. There was only a small space for them both to stand, and he put his arm about Celeborn’s waist to anchor them both. “I am moving across the river to the Great Greenwood,” Oropher said, pointing to the forest that stretched further than even elvish eyes could see. “That is why I did not answer your summons, I have spent several weeks over there, scouting suitable locations to start another colony,” he explained.

“Are you going alone?” asked Celeborn as he continued to gaze at the forest. It was not far away, just a short row across the Anduin, but he wondered whether either of them would bother to travel the distance to meet in the future.

“After we are wed, Amiel is of course coming with me,” said Oropher, casually announcing his betrothal.

“I expect an invitation to the marriage ceremony, and I hope to meet Amiel at least once before then,” said Celeborn smiling with delight at the good news.

“I will brave your lady’s displeasure and bring mine to meet you both before we are married I promise, and I will personally invite Galadriel to attend the marriage feast with you. Perhaps Amiel will also have a good influence on your wife’s attitude towards me,” said Oropher lightly.

“No one influences Galadriel unless she wishes them to do so, as you well know, but she is welcome to try,” laughed Celeborn.  “Are any others to be included in your new realm?”

Oropher frowned at that choice of words and became very serious.

“I do not style myself as a ruler, although it is undeniable that one is necessary to develop a new colony.  Once I made my plans known, many of my friends, both Sindar and Silvan, expressed their intention to join me and look to me as their leader. I will accept the responsibility,” he explained.

“Then I take it you plan to merge the Silvan Elves with the Sindar who accompany you? It sounds to me that you are about to do in Greenwood what you accuse Galadriel and I of doing here,” observed Celeborn.

“Not at all, for I am not influencing anyone’s way of life but my own,” Oropher replied sharply.  “I am going to live as leader of the Silvan Elves and the Sindar who desire to fully embrace the Silvan way of life, including the language, and who will freely follow me across the river. Those who do not will remain here with many of the Silvan who have also decided to stay.”

“Are you saying that some actually accept our rule over Lothlórien?” asked Celeborn with some surprise.

“Ai, some do, but others simply do not wish to move away from their homes and their kin who are also staying. So tell me, what do you think of my plans?” enquired Oropher as he turned to Celeborn.

“I heartily approve of your plans to wed, but it seems I must now learn how to row,” replied Celeborn as he placed his arm about Oropher’s waist and drew him close.

Silver and gold hair mingled in the breeze as the two stood silently, needing no words to affirm their friendship.

                                                        ***************

“But as yet there was little to fear between the Greenwood and the Mountains and there was constant intercourse between his people and their kin across the River, until the War of the Last Alliance.”    JRR Tolkien, Unfinished Tales ( Harper Collins 1998 ed, p334).

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List