Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Silver and Gold  by jenolas

Silver and Gold.

Chapter 2.

Celeborn stood silently in the archway that served as a door to the talan, and continued to peer out into the darkness long after Oropher had disappeared from view. Although he spoke not a word, to one who knew him well, his silence was but an indication of his anger and frustration at being forced to act as mediator between the two strong willed Elves in his life, who both should have learned how to hold a civil conversation by now, and he was also was furious with Oropher for expecting him to take sides. It distressed him to have to hurt his friend with his refusal, because it was his beloved who ever had his loyalty and support, just as he had hers.

“What are you thinking, my love?’ asked Galadriel calmly as she came to stand by his side, offering comfort to the distress she sensed her husband was feeling.

“I was merely reflecting on how alike you and Oropher are in some ways,” he replied as he placed his arm about her shoulders and drew her close. Galadriel looked at him with displeasure when she realised that he had not spoken in jest.

“That we both love you I freely admit, but I was not aware we had anything else in common,” she said, her anger vanishing to be replaced by a tingle of pleasure when Celeborn kissed her hair softly as she laid her head against his chest.

“I was thinking that you are alike in your stubbornness, but perhaps it is the fact that you are both fiercely proud of your kin and your heritage that keeps you two at odds,” he said.

“I can not deny that the actions of some of the Noldor deserve his wrath, and that of the other Elves, but we are not all the same, just as the Sindar and Silvan Elves are different. It confuses me that Oropher accepts a Noldo, as your wife, yet when it comes to leadership he cannot see past his prejudice, an attitude in which he is not alone. Come, the night is still young, let us not dwell on that which mere words will not alter. I am only sorry our animosity causes you such pain,” said Galadriel as she lead Celeborn back inside away from his melancholy watch. “Would it help if I admitted that I actually hold him in great respect, not for his opinions, but for his willingness to speak his heart and his mind,” she said, smiling as she felt Celeborn’s eyebrows lift in surprise.

“Perhaps it is Oropher you should be telling this to,” Celeborn dared to suggest.

“He would not believe I was sincere,” replied Galadriel quietly.

“There is certainly a measure of truth in that observation,” Celeborn agreed, “but I think the real reason you make no friendly overtures is that you like arguing with him,” he teased.

“Not exactly, but you  know as well as I that it is unlikely that we will ever speak as friends, yet it is not the heated words I enjoy, but the fact that he is one of the very few who are not intimidated by me. It is refreshing to be spoken to with such honesty,” she explained.

“Oropher does not bandy sweet words to achieve his goals, and he is considered extremely arrogant by some of his peers. Hey are almost as afraid of him as they are of me,” declared Galadriel unable to contain her amusement.

Celeborn was also amused at Galadriel’s perception of herself, for it was accurate although he had never told her so. Many of the exiled Noldor and the Sindar who now resided in Lothlórien were afraid of the mysterious Lady of the Wood.

“Then I expect I may look forward to acting as intermediary to many such ‘discussions’ in the future?” asked Celeborn, not entirely happy with the prospect. Galadriel sensed his unease with his role and turned to face him.

“You may need to, if you do not wish to lose his friendship. You and I love this realm we have created, and you will ever be the keeper of my heart, but do not distance yourself from you kin out of love for me, or disapproval of our arguments,” she entreated.

“I fear my feet are already travelling that path after tonight,” he sighed sadly.

“Then perhaps you should seek him out before the distance becomes too great, and see if you cannot forge an agreement for certain level of tolerance,” she suggested as she wrapped her arms about her husband’s waist. Celeborn was humbled by the depth of her love for him that spoke to his heart with her offer to at least try and abide Oropher for his sake.

“Nay, I think it best to leave him to his thoughts for now,” replied Celeborn who knew his kinsman well enough to realise that there would be no point in speaking to him until his rage had calmed. “Besides, it is you who commands my attention right now and I feel you are in need of tender words and a loving touch. Shall we retire?” he asked, kissing his wife passionately to ensure his meaning was well understood.

                                                     ******

As twilight fell on Caras Galadhon the following day, Celeborn decided to try and speak with Oropher, but finding his talan empty, he chose to take a walk in the woods instead. As he wandered among the trees, listening to their whispering voices, he was surprised to hear music coming from the clearing he knew lay up ahead. For reasons he could not explain, he felt the urge to approach unseen, and he remained out of sight as he watched in fascination the merrymaking of a large group of Silvan Elves. Eyes full of life shone brightly and golden hair glinted in the starlight as the dancers twirled gaily by, and he drew in a breath as he saw Oropher was one of them. The Sindar noble he should have seen was nowhere in evidence, his robes and boots discarded in favour of tunic and leggings in the brown and green hues of the Wood Elves. His feet were bare, his golden hair hung unbraided and the light in his eyes spoke of such happiness and love of life as Celeborn had never seen before. There was no denying that this was truly where Oropher belonged.

The Lord of Lothlórien watched the gaiety for quite some time, observing that many other Sindar were also present, and he was surprised to note that Oropher obviously favoured dancing with one particular maid. It pained Celeborn to realise just how little he really knew of his friend, and he resolved to learn all he could…. another time, for he had no intention of interrupting the revelry.

Oropher felt as if he was being watched, and briefly spared a searching glance into the surrounding wood, but seeing nothing, except for a wink of approval from the mischievous Tariel, he returned his attention back to the lovely maid in his arms. Amiel had just arrived in Lothlórien, but Oropher felt in his heart that he had known her all his life. Tariel had unknowingly spoken the truth when she suggested one of them would meet their soul mate this night; for Oropher had no doubt that he had done just that.

As soon as Amiel had entered the clearing, he had felt as if tender fingers were pulling at his heart, drawing him closer to the beautiful maid who Tariel was leading in his direction.

“Oropher, this is Amiel, the daughter of one of the Sindar nobles who once resided in Doriath,” said Tariel as she introduced her companion.

“I am pleased to meet you, my lady,” said Oropher, kissing her hand lightly with his usual display of charm.

“Tariel has told me much about you, and you are even more beautiful than she described.  I feel as if we have met before. Perhaps in Doriath?” she asked, equally disconcerted by the strange feeling of recognition. The music in her voice was mesmerising and Oropher momentarily lost all sense of reason as he felt the tingle of the melody surge through his body.

“Nay, for had I met you there, we would still be together now,” declared Oropher with certainty, a delicate blush tingeing his cheeks as he realised what he had just said.

“That is rather forward, even for you, Oropher,” admonished Tariel, secretly delighted with her friend’s discomfiture, and the feelings she realised provoked it. Oropher had finally given his heart in love.

“Ai, please forgive me, Amiel, I seem to have lost control of my words. I meant no offence,” he said with undisguised passion in his eyes and a smile that melted her heart.

“They were beautiful words, and gave me no offence, only hope that the feeling in my heart may be returned in kind,” Amiel replied, returning his gaze in kind.

“Would you dance with me?” asked Oropher after a sharp poke in his ribs from Tariel focussed his attention on his surroundings rather than the depths of Amiel’s eyes.

“Of course,” she replied taking his hand as they made their way to the dance circle.

Neither accepted any other offers to dance that night, and when they slipped away to find a more private place to talk, they found words unnecessary as their lips met and their hearts sang in unison.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List