Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pearl of Great Price  by Lindelea

Chapter 24. Battle Ahead 

Paladin took the journey slowly indeed, and he took the Bywater Road, an easier, less hilly route, though he did not stop at any inn, much less the Bear and Bugle. As a result, his ponies were tired and perhaps strained from the overwork, but neither was lame when they pulled into the lane mid-morning, after driving all day and through the night from Buckland all the way home.

They found the head of escort waiting for them.

 ‘We had word when you passed through Bywater,’ Isumbold said apologetically. ‘The Mistress has been beside herself with fury over the Bucklanders’ interference in a Tookish matter.’ Paladin waved to his wife and children to take the baggage into the house while the neighbour's son who'd been watching the farm for them put ponies and waggon away. Soon they had a measure of privacy.

 ‘I can only imagine,’ Paladin said wearily. All he wanted was to stumble off to his bed, but he feared that Isum brought a summons that could not be refused.

 ‘Mistress Lalia knew you were going on to Buckland for a visit as you always do this time of year,’ Isum said. ‘Of course, when word came that the Brandybucks had tossed you out on your ear shortly after your arrival there...’

 ‘They didn’t toss—’ Paladin began, appalled. How the Talk must be flying!

 ‘When she heard how the Brandybucks tossed you out on your ear...’ Isum said, giving weight to every word. Here lies safety, he seemed to be saying. Grab hold, and do not let go! ‘...she was absolutely livid, set a watch for your return, and sent me to extend her heartiest sympathy and good wishes.’

 ‘I see,’ Paladin said slowly. He thought he saw Ferumbras’ hand in this, Ferumbras, whose main function seemed to be shielding Tookland as well as he could from his mother’s whims; or perhaps it was Adelard, who ran Tookland for all practical purposes. He ought to be Thain rather than merely Steward. ‘Please convey to the Mistress our heartfelt gratitude.’

 ‘I will, sir,’ Isum said with a bow. ‘If there is anything at all that you need me to pass on to the Mistress...’ he said.

 ‘You can tell her that Rosemary Took was said to be at the Hall the day before we arrived, and was spirited away again forthwith,’ Paladin said. No harm could come to the lass, and it made him appear to be cooperating with Lalia to pass on this information. ‘Buckland’s a big place, and so is the Marish. She could be anywhere the Master holds sway.’

Isum hesitated. ‘Do you know the name of the other hobbit in the handfasting?’ he said.

Paladin shook his head. ‘Undoubtedly a Brandybuck, a younger son perhaps. They told me nothing more,’ he said. ‘I think they only told me about Rosie to set my mind at ease about the lass, seeing how close our families are—Ferdinand’s and mine, I mean,’ he clarified hastily.

 ‘Yes,’ Isum said, a distinct look of sympathy in his eye. ‘Though Ferdinand had no choice but to disown his daughter, he was at least relieved to hear she did not come to harm, running off in the cold as she did.’ He bowed again. ‘Very well, sir, I will take my leave. If you hear any more news, please send word.’

 ‘You can be sure that I will,’ Paladin said, even as he shook his head. He imagined that Allie’s weekly letters would stop cold. She would not risk his position, or the farm where they had grown up. ‘Safe journey!’

Isum vaulted lightly onto the piebald’s back and cantered down the lane, raising a hand in farewell.

***

The Thain looked up as Isumbold entered the study several hours later. ‘Well?’ he rasped. ‘What did he say?’

 ‘Are you well, Sir?’ Isum said. Ferumbras had always been pale, sweaty, and flabby, but somehow he looked paler than usual, and the jowls of his cheeks hung dispiritedly, making him look like a sorrowful bulldog.

 ‘Well enough!’ Ferumbras snapped. ‘What did Paladin say?’

 ‘He said he didn’t know where Rosemary Took was,’ Isumbold answered. ‘The Brandybucks spirited her away before his arrival and said no word to him other than “Fare-thee-well”.’

 ‘The nerve!’ Ferumbras said, watching his mother out of the corner of his eye.

 ‘Did they really throw him out?’ Lalia said, leaning forward, two pink spots on her cheeks.

Isumbold was grieved at the expression on Pearl’s face as she sat quietly behind the Mistress, a shawl over her arm, but he stuck to the instructions the Thain had given him. ‘Indeed, Mistress, they were very rude,’ he said.

 ‘What can you expect?’ Ferumbras grated. ‘They’re denizens of a backwater province, not even part of the Shire proper, and they have the audacity to interfere in a Took family matter!’ He took a handkerchief from his pocket and mopped his brow. ‘Hot in here,’ he muttered.

 ‘Sir, you... you don’t look well,’ Isum said, and got another glare for his reward.

Lalia was distracted enough from her indignation against the Brandybucks to take a good look at her son. ‘No,’ she said suddenly. ‘You don’t.’ To the head of escort, she said, ‘Fetch Bittersweet!’

 ‘At once, Mistress,’ he rapped out sharply and was gone.

He found the head healer changing a dressing. ‘If you please, missus,’ he said, ‘it’s an urgent matter.’

 ‘I’m nearly done here,’ she said. ‘Viola? Would you finish this for me?’

 ‘Gladly,’ Viola said, taking the roll of bandaging from Bittersweet.

 In the corridor, walking rapidly towards the Thain’s study, Isum was explaining, ‘...he looks as if he’s come down with that fever that’s going around the Shire. I don’t know how to explain it, but something about the look of his eyes...’

 ‘The pain in the head will do that,’ Bittersweet muttered, ‘not to mention the feeling as if there’s ground glass in your eyes. We’ve had several new cases just this morning.’

 ‘Is it dangerous?’ Isum said.

 ‘It can be, if it’s not caught early,’ Bittersweet said. ‘But of course, Lalia’s too attentive to her dearest only son for this to have gone on any length of time.’

The healer was all smiles and cheery bustle when she entered the study. She examined the Thain quickly and efficiently, managing to conceal her alarm at her findings, and briskly bundled him off to bed. Lalia would have insisted upon sitting bedside watch with her son, but the healer put her off. ‘Now, Mistress, you know that the fever can be catching,’ she said, pausing in the doorway to the study as Isumbold escorted the Thain towards his quarters, ‘and we wouldn’t want anything to happen to you! I’ll have my best watchers sitting with him, and we’ll give you hourly news.’

Once in Ferumbras’ small apartment, she settled him into bed. ‘The watchers will be here soon,’ she said. ‘Just as soon as they arrive I’m going to make up a potion for you to drink, to relieve the headache and help you rest.’

 ‘That’ll be a mercy,’ the Thain muttered.

 ‘Just how long have you been ill and concealing the matter?’ Bittersweet said sternly.

 ‘A few days only,’ Ferumbras said. ‘I thought it was the effect of staying up all night from Last Night into First Day, and on top of that the excitement of Rosie Took going missing, but then I couldn’t sleep for tossing and turning, and felt even worse the next day. Mother was beside herself over this whole wretched business with the girl; I didn’t want to add to her troubles.’

He had also been quite occupied with shielding Paladin Took, a hobbit he respected highly, from suspicion on his mother’s part. It was hard enough that the hobbit’s sister had married a Brandybuck without adding the fact that he’d been making a visit to Buckland when the girl was reported to have been there. It didn’t take much to stir Lalia’s malice. At the moment she was indignant over the gossip Ferumbras had himself concocted, detailing the Brandybucks’ rudeness towards Paladin and his family. Yes, he thought, relaxing with a sigh, Paladin was safe for the moment. ‘A few days only,’ he repeated, wincing as he swallowed.

 ‘I see,’ Bittersweet said mildly, but inside she was cold with fear. The fever that was going around the Shire was not so dangerous as it might be—if it was caught early. ‘Let me take a look at your throat.’

 It was no wonder that the Thain was having trouble swallowing, and that his voice was hoarse. ‘Well now,’ she said softly. ‘I should say you’d be wanting something soothing for that.’

As soon as the first watcher arrived, Bittersweet took herself off in a hurry back to the infirmary to marshal her forces for the battle ahead.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List