Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pearl of Great Price  by Lindelea

Chapter 4. A Difficult Decision

October dawned to find the little smial busier than one of the good farmer’s beehives. The Sun, rising from her bed, blinked in rosy astonishment to see snowy sheets already hanging on the lines and the voices of the children raised in song as they hurried about their tasks. In the kitchen Paladin finished his half-dozen eggs with accompanying bacon, fried bread, tomatoes and beans and threw down his serviette. ‘That’ll do me,’ he said, waving away the teapot hovering over his cup. ‘I must be at it early if we’re to have the hay stacked before the Brandybucks arrive.’

 ‘We’re nearly ready,’ Eglantine said, putting the teapot down and taking up the empty plates. ‘The children have been a wonder of help.’

 ‘As they ought,’ Paladin said placidly. He lingered only long enough to kiss his wife thoroughly, “to give you a good grounding for your day” as he teased, and whistled his way to the yard where the hired hobbits already waited with waggons hitched and ready.

Pippin bounced between Pearl and Pimpernel, singing and chattering by turns. When one sister had endured enough of his help, she’d send him along to the other. In this way, they accomplished much as the morning hours sped by. The lad got so dirty cleaning out the grates that he had his second bath in two days—the first was because he got so dirty beating the dust from the carpets the previous day—and helpfully sloshed quantities of water our of the tub before the kitchen fire. All Pearl had to do was hike up her skirts and get down on her knees with scrub-brush and cloth to finish the scrubbing of the stone floor while he dressed, and then she sent him off to Pimpernel “to see if she needed any help”.

Nell managed, by the artful admiration of her little brother’s muscles, to get him to wax and buff all the wood in the dining room and parlour, and then while she was taking in the sheets off the line to make up the beds, Pippin helped Pearl cut flowers for the vases and Vinca helped their mother with noontide preparations. When the Sun reached her nooning all was ready.

Paladin returned from the field with one of the waggons, leaving the hired hobbits to stack the hay and return to the field to help with the last of the task. He’d pay them a bit extra for working unsupervised. They didn’t begrudge his early defection; it was not every day that the heir to Buckland visited the neighbourhood. Eglantine brought a pitcher of warmed water to the bedroom where she’d laid out a clean shirt and collar. ‘I thought ‘twould go better than a cold bath this day,’ she said. ‘There’s still a chill in the air; good thing there was a breeze or the sheets wouldn’t have dried.’

 ‘There’s a weather change on the way for certain,’ Paladin agreed, with a kiss for his wife’s thoughtfulness. ‘We’ll get the last of the hay in just in time.’ He washed quickly while she bustled about the smial, checking on everything. The air was filled with the good smells of soap and beeswax, stew and baking bread. The girls were in the midst of changing into their best and doing up each other’s hair, and Pip would be dirty again; how he managed it his mother couldn’t begin to guess. She hauled him by his ear to the washbasin and went over his face and neck with a rough cloth, then sent him off to change into a clean shirt. ‘And don’t throw the dirty one on the floor!’ she called after him.

There was a jingle of bells in the yard and Pippin shouted wildly, ‘They’re here!’, pelting out of his room with wild curls and shirt half-buttoned up. His mother caught him by the shirt-tails before he could dash out the door and disgrace them all, yanking a comb through his hair, taking care of the rest of the buttons despite his puppy-like wiggles, and tucking the shirt in properly before she let him go.

The coach-and-four pulled up before the door, harness gleaming, bells sparkling in the sun, bright ribbons braided into manes and tails, ponies tossing their proud heads. Pippin hung back, a little daunted, as his aunt and uncle and cousin stepped down from the coach. Somehow the Brandybucks seemed finer in the little farmyard than the last few times he’d seen them, at Brandy Hall, where they fit their surroundings.

 ‘What is it, Pip?’ Pearl murmured, aware of his hesitation.

 ‘They’ve—they’ve a matched team,’ he breathed in awe, staring wide-eyed at the four gleaming ponies, perfectly alike in appearance. It was a nicety for plough ponies to match; usually they didn’t, but so long as they pulled well together a farmer didn’t mind.

Merry held out his arms and called joyously, ‘Pip!’ The spell was broken.

Pippin darted from behind Pearl and into his cousin’s embrace. ‘Merry!’ he cried. ‘I’ve so much to tell you!’

 ‘I’ve no doubt you do!’ Merry laughed, hugging him tighter. ‘Ah, Pip it is so good to see you again!’

Watching the reunion of the two caused Paladin to have to blink and clear his throat. He had a sudden fierce wish that neither cousin would ever have to sit by a bed and watch the other suffer. Ah, Ferdinand...

Saradoc stepped forward, hand outstretched, to be greeted heartily by the farmer whilst the wives embraced, then Paladin had a warm hug for his sister Esmeralda, and Eglantine welcomed Saradoc. Turning from his sister-in-love, the heir to Buckland said, ‘Merry! You have other cousins to greet!’

 ‘Yes, sir,’ Merry said, straightening up from a whispered consultation with Pippin. He bowed properly to Pervinca and Nell, but when he turned to greet Pearl he flushed and stammered the ritual words. Pearl smiled graciously, holding out her hand to him, saying something light and cheerful to put the teen at ease. He took her hand and bowed over it, but then stood staring after her as Eglantine ushered his parents through the door, where ‘Noontides is just on, the table’s set and the bread has just come out of the oven. I hope you’re hungry, there’s enough for half of Tookland!’

 ‘You’re gone on Pearl!’ Pippin accused, his eyes gleaming with mischief. Merry started, grabbed his little cousin and rubbed his knuckles on Pippin’s head.

 ‘Am not!’ he said, though in his mind’s eye he could still see the rich green of her dress, bringing a hint of green to the laughing hazel eyes and a touch of copper to the rich brown curls.

 ‘She’s old enough to be your mother!’ Pippin exclaimed.

 ‘She is not!’ Merry protested. Pippin wiggled out of his grip and danced before him.

 ‘Just wait until I tell her…!’ he grinned.

 ‘If you do I won’t take you fishing!’ Merry said. At this serious threat, Pippin subsided, but he was disgustingly cheerful throughout the meal, and alarmingly polite.

Merry and Pippin made up for time apart by spending every waking moment together. The rainy weather that arrived shortly after the Brandybucks was perfect for fishing—for catching fish, that is, if not for the fisherfolk themselves, who also caught sniffles and sneezes in the damp. It was just as cosy to sprawl on the hearthrug wrapped up in blankets and spin stories, and when the sniffles cleared up next day there was fun to be had in the hayloft, fashioning nests in the hay and throwing hay at each other until they were covered with the stuff.

When the week-long visit was halfway through, the Thain’s head of escort rode his piebald pony up the lane once more, cloak pulled up against the misting rain.

 ‘Hullo!’ Pearl said in surprised greeting as she opened the door to his knock. ‘Isum? What brings you here in this weather?’

 ‘Business of the Thain,’ Isum responded with a bow. ‘Is your father in?’

 ‘He’s in the barn, polishing harness,’ Pearl said. ‘Would you like me to show you?’

 ‘Thank you, Miss Pearl, I can find my way,’ Isum said. ‘Please convey my greetings to your mother.’

 ‘Can’t you stay for tea this time?’ Pearl asked.

Isum shook his head regretfully. ‘My time is not my own,’ he said, and hesitated.

 ‘Another time, perhaps,’ Pearl said, speaking the words he’d been about to say with an impish look.

He laughed and bowed. ‘You took the words directly from my mouth,’ he said. ‘Be sure to wipe your fingers well.’ Her laughter followed him to the barn.

If he was surprised to find the heir to Buckland polishing harness with the farmer, he didn’t show it. ‘Mr Brandybuck,’ he said with a deep bow, and turning to Paladin with a slightly shallower bow as befitted his status, ‘Farmer Took.’

’Isumbold,’ Saradoc said. ‘Do you have a message for me from the Thain? You can tell Mistress Lalia that we will be visiting next week as planned; we’ll spend a full week here at the farm and not a day less!’

 ‘Yes, sir, thank you, sir,’ Isum said respectfully. ‘My message was actually for the good farmer.’

 ‘O?’ Paladin said curiously. ‘Two messages in less than a week?’

The head of escort cleared his throat. ‘Go ahead,’ Paladin said. ‘I have no secrets from Saradoc, here.’

The heir to Buckland clapped him on the shoulder. ‘That’s all right, Dinny,’ he said. ‘I’ll just slip into the kitchen and see if the biscuits they promised for tea are fit to eat.’

 ‘Good idea,’ Paladin said. ‘Be sure to bring some back with you.’ Saradoc laughed and, pulling his cloak over his head, jogged from the barn to the kitchen door. The rain was increasing from a mist to a steady downpour.

 ‘You’ll stay to tea?’ Paladin said.

 ‘Sorry, but no,’ Isum replied with a shake of the head.

 ‘You’ll catch your death, riding about in this,’ the farmer said, shocked.

 ‘It’d take more than a little rain to wash me away,’ Isum answered. ‘My “pie” can dodge the raindrops, he can, and bring me home drier than when I started.’

 ‘He looks to be a sight wet at the moment,’ Paladin said dryly. ‘At least tie him up in the barn; don’t make him stand in the rain.’

 ‘Ah but I’m leaving in a few moments; I have only to take your answer and be on my way,’ Isum said.

 ‘My answer?’ Paladin said quizzically.

 ‘You recall the message I brought the other day,’ Isum prompted.

 ‘Of course, but I thought I had some time to think it over, talk with my wife...’

 ‘You’ve talked with your wife, have you not?’ Isum said. ‘You don’t strike me as the type to let the grass grow long beneath his feet.'

 ‘I did,’ Paladin admitted.

 ‘Then do you have an answer for me to take back to the Thain?’ Isum pressed. At Paladin’s hesitation, he added, ‘The situation’s changed a bit. Mistress Lalia discharged her attendant this morning in a fit of temper, and the Thain is having to attend her every need, which leaves him... little time to attend to the needs of Tookland. He would like to find her a new companion as soon as possible, preferably one she finds agreeable enough to keep on for some time.’

 ‘If she were to find fault with our Pearl and discharge her—’ Paladin said, and Isum, sensing victory, forged ahead.

 ‘She would still receive the promised wages: enough gold for a good dowry, and the fine necklace of her name-jewels,’ he said. ‘What do you say? What word do I take back?’

 ‘This is so sudden,’ Paladin said, shaking his head.

 ‘When could she come?’ Isum said. ‘The Thain will send a coach for her on the morrow if you say the word.’

 ‘On the morrow!’ Paladin said, head spinning. He had a quicker wit than most, but things were moving too quickly for him at the moment.

Saradoc, pockets full of biscuits, spoke up from the door. He was slightly out of breath, having run back faster than he'd gone, once Eglantine had apprised him just why the head of escort had likely come calling. ‘That won’t be necessary,’ he said. ‘Brother,’ he said to Paladin, eyeing him closely. ‘Have you and your wife resolved to do this thing?’

 ‘It is a great chance for Pearl,’ Paladin said slowly, and Isumbold held his breath.

 ‘I can see where it would be,’ Saradoc replied soberly. It was none of his business to tell Paladin what to do with his daughters, but were Pearl his own child... ‘If you are agreed to send her to attend the mother of the Thain...’ O how he pitied Paladin and Eglantine, to be put in this position. Lalia was not one you could easily gainsay, and Paladin's grandfather had given up much power and status when he'd taken his family from the Great Smials to return to the land. The heir to Buckland took a deep breath and plunged the rest of the way. ‘We’re to go to the Great Smials after this; we could take her with us and provide proper escort. It would be at the end of the week rather than on the morrow. Will that suit?’

 ‘Come and have tea in the kitchen, Isum,’ Paladin said, and it was not a request. ‘If you want an answer to take back with you, I’m afraid you will have to wait until I’ve finished discussing it with my wife.’ He held up a hand as the head of escort started to speak. ‘No,’ he said. ‘Say no more. If you insist upon an answer in this very moment, it’ll have to be “No”.’

 Isum knew when to hold his peace. ‘Very well,’ he said. ‘I must admit a spot of tea would be welcome before swimming back to the Smials.’ He cocked an eye at the increasing deluge outside and barely suppressed a sigh.

 ‘Come along then,’ Paladin said.

Isum tied up his piebald pony under cover from the rain, stripped off the saddle and blanket and rubbed him down well, and then had a very pleasant tea indeed in the kitchen with the children, whilst the Tooks and Brandybucks discussed the situation in the formal dining room. In the end it was agreed. The Brandybucks would carry Pearl to the Great Smials to attend the mother of the Thain. ‘But the moment my niece writes to express the least little bit of unhappiness, I will go myself to fetch her away,’ Esmeralda said, shaking her finger at Pearl’s parents.

 ‘You’ll come too late,’ Paladin said. ‘I’ll have fetched her away myself long before you arrive.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List