Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shire: Beginnings  by Lindelea

Chapter 26. Of Life and Death

A few days later Pick sought out Blackthorn in Elrond’s study, where he was going over maps with Elrond and Gandalf. ‘It’s time,’ he said, excitement dancing in his eyes.

 ‘Time for what?’ Blackthorn said absently, his thoughts on the discussion at hand. Though Gandalf assured him that there were already hobbits living at peace in Cardolin, how were they to safely cross Rhudaur to get there? The Fallohides were a free and independent people. He couldn’t ask the Elves to shepherd them wherever they went, as if they were stupid sheep needing protection from wolves. He sighed. Perhaps they did need protection. He thought of all the orphaned little ones in his charge.

 ‘I won’t tell Lily you said that!’ Pick grinned.

 ‘Lily! It’s time?’ Black gasped.

 ‘Isn’t that what I’ve been telling you?’ Pick said, pulling at his arm to lead him from the study.

 ‘My apologies, Master Elrond, Gandalf...’ Black said over his shoulder, and the two Big Folk smiled and nodded.

He found Lily holding Holly’s hand and weeping. ‘I’m here now, love,’ he said.

She shook her head. ‘I’m sorry,’ she gasped. ‘It hurts so, and I wish...’

Suddenly he understood. Her mother, like so many of the other hobbit mums, had laid her life down when the hunters did not return from the pass. ‘Pick,’ he said, ‘Go fetch Mum.’

Understanding bloomed in the teen’s eyes and he nodded. ‘She’s with Araniliel,’ he said. ‘The weavers were interested in the patterns the People used in the Before Days. I’ll fetch her forthwith.’

He was as good as his word, returning soon with Violet. ‘Ah, lass,’ she said, soothing Lily’s forehead with a smile. ‘Your time has come, I see. We’ll bring you safely through.’

Lily’s sisters and Violet and Holly did their best to ease her in her travail, and Blackthorn held her hand through the hours, all the rest of that day and the two days that followed. ‘Why is it taking so long?’ he asked during a pause. He didn’t remember Pick or any of his little sisters taking so much time to be born.

 ‘First babes often take longer,’ his mother answered soothingly. ‘Black, why don’t you go and fetch another bucket of water?’

 ‘I’ll go,’ Primrose said, but Violet shook her head. ‘No, let Black fetch it,’ she said firmly. ‘He could use the chance to stretch his legs.’

 ‘Black?’ Lily said, half rousing as another pain seized her.

 ‘He’ll be right back,’ Violet said. ‘Go now, Black.’ Reluctantly he went. As soon as the door closed behind him, Violet bent close to Lily’s ear. ‘You must fight, my dear. Don’t give up.’

 ‘I’m so tired,’ Lily murmured. ‘So tired.’

 ‘I’ve done all I know,’ Violet said. ‘You have to do your part, love, breathe through the tightenings and rest with the easings. Think good thoughts and keep inviting the babe to come and greet us.’

 ‘I don’t know how!’ Lily wailed. ‘He won’t come!’

 ‘Stubborn, just like his father and grandfather before him,’ Violet said. ‘You have to fight, Lily, for if you die my son will lay down his life to follow you.’

 ‘Black,’ Lily gasped.

 ‘The People need him,’ Violet persisted. ‘There’s no other for them to follow, no other who’s heard the Lady’s voice. They’ll scatter like the leaves in the falling-time and be lost on the wind. You have to try, Lily!’

 ‘You stayed,’ Lily’s sister Primrose said boldly. She’d been grateful for Violet, though perhaps a bit resentful as well. Why had her own mother left them, and Mistress Thorn stayed though her mate had left the world?

 ‘It was my beloved’s last request,’ Violet said softly. ‘How could I not honour him?’ She swallowed hard, tears in her eyes, as Holly’s hand tightened on her shoulder.

 ‘Then if it is possible to live on when your love has passed from the world, Blackthorn might live on if...’ Primrose could not bring herself to finish the thought. Her hand tightened on her sister’s, and she added under her breath, ‘Try, Lily, don’t give over.’

 ‘He won’t,’ Violet said. ‘He does not love the People as much as he loves Lily. Perhaps, if she asked him to stay as Buckthorn asked me...’

 ‘What?’ Lily gasped. ‘Walk alone into the night?’ Her eyes were dark with fear. ‘Without my love?’

 ‘Do you want him to die?’ Primrose hissed.

 ‘But... we would be together,’ Lily protested. ‘It is the way of the People.’ When a mate died, grief took the other. Why eat or drink when one’s love waited Beyond?

 ‘It doesn’t have to be,’ Violet said, squeezing her hand. ‘My Buckthorn still waits for me, I’m sure, and when the time comes for my passing we will once again walk together.’

 ‘New land, new ways,’ Holly murmured. ‘But you will not die, my sister, for my father foresaw your son walking in the new land, don’t you remember?’

Suddenly Blackthorn was there once more, bringing not a bucket of water, but Elrond himself.

 ‘You bring an Outsider?’ his mother said sharply.

 ‘I remember Pick saying how the Lord Elrond eased his pain, when his ribs hurt so much he could scarcely breathe,’ Blackthorn said. ‘Lily, he’s here to help. Will you trust me?’

 ‘I do,’ Lily whispered.

Elrond sat himself on the floor beside the mattress, laying a gentle hand on Lily’s forehead. ‘Peace,’ he said softly, and followed this with many words the hobbits did not understand, a soothing flow rather like a cool stream on a hot summer day. Lily’s breathing steadied and she looked into the kind eyes, ageless, wise, and full of compassion.

 ‘You have run a long race and you are very tired,’ Elrond said now. ‘I will lend you my strength. It has been long since new life graced my House. Such a gift you bring us!’

Violet had her hand on Lily’s belly, feeling the muscles tighten and ease, though the lass no longer moaned with the effort. ‘Yes,’ she said, ‘that’s better. We’re getting a steadier rhythm now.’ The hobbits began the song and the birth began to progress as it should.

At last Blackthorn was holding a fine, strong babe in his arms. ‘Look, my love,’ he said. ‘Our son!’

 ‘Our son,’ Lily whispered, joy spreading over her face. ‘O let me hold him!’ Blackthorn laid the babe in her arms, then hugged his mate with tender care.

 ‘I will take my leave,’ Elrond said, rising, pausing to bow. ‘The cooks have been planning a feast of celebration; I will tell them it is time.’

 ‘Thinking of food at a time like this?’ Violet said, her eyes crinkling in a smile. ‘We’ll make a hobbit of you yet, Master Elrond.’

Elrond laughed.  ‘I cannot think of a more delightful prospect,’ he said.

***

More babies followed, to the delight of the Elves. Who needed cradles when many willing arms were ever ready to take up a tiny mite, providing of course that the one in possession was prepared to relinquish the babe?

If the Elves were astonished at Lily and Blackthorn’s little one, they were doubly charmed when Holly and Oakleaf’s twins came into the world after a relatively short labour, to Violet’s relief. Master Elrond could hold a twin in the palm of each hand.

When a full score of new Fallohides had sung their first song and no more were expected, at least for the time being, Blackthorn sought out Elrond in the study. ‘I rode up out of the Valley with Elrohir,’ he said. ‘Spring has come to the land once more.’

 ‘It is the time of Quickening,’ Elrond agreed.

 ‘My people are very happy here,’ the Thorn said. ‘But this is not our place. It is time for us to make our way, to take up our new land.’

 ‘I have had the same thought,’ Elrond said, ‘but only waited for you to speak. Perhaps your Lady tells us it is time for you to go.’

 ‘Perhaps,’ Blackthorn said. The Lady had not spoken to him clearly as She had to his father, but he did feel a restlessness that had not troubled him before.

 ‘A moment, Thorn,’ Elrond said. He sent for Glorfindel and Gandalf, and a tray of sweet biscuits and wine for good measure. He'd found the hobbits were better able to concentrate with food to nibble.

Gandalf told of his travels down along the Hoarwell, through the land of Rhudaur to Cardolan. He spoke of the Harfoots and their excitement at the news of the Fallohides’ coming.

 ‘How are we to get the People safely home?’ Blackthorn asked. ‘You speak of regular hunting parties and patrols in the land.’

 ‘We will have to win the cooperation of the king of Rhudaur,’ Elrond said. ‘Glorfindel and I have talked of this.’

 ‘How?’ the Thorn said.

Glorfindel smiled grimly. ‘I do believe we ought to pay them a visit,’ he said. ‘I have rested and recovered and am ready to ride out once again. Will you come with me, Thorn?’

Blackthorn nodded. ‘I will,’ he said.

***

 ‘You’re riding out into Rhudaur?’ Lily said fearfully. ‘But...’

 ‘I ride with Glorfindel,’ Blackthorn answered. ‘They’ll not find it so easy to take my head from me with him for company.’

 ‘One Elf? Against an entire kingdom of cruel Men?’ Lily said.

 ‘One Elf and one Fallohide,’ Blackthorn answered firmly. ‘How can any stand against us?’

 ‘But...’ Lily said. She looked down at their sleeping babe. ‘Black, if you should not return... I could not promise, I could not!’

 ‘I know,’ Blackthorn said softly, bending to embrace her. ‘I would not ask it, even though I would fain see you live, my love. Holly or Bluebell would take our son, should we pass from the world.’

 ‘But what will the People do without a Thorn?’ Lily whispered. ‘None has heard the Lady’s voice, save yourself.’

 ‘Then I had better return, hadn’t I?’ Blackthorn said lightly.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List