Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Grief and Guilt of a Ringbearer  by Cantora Eledhwen

Jules: Thanks so much for your review! *glomptackle* You were my sole reviewer... *sob* More is coming! Much, much more!


Chapter One

~Gray Thoughts~

In the hours after Gandalf’s fall a voice ran through Frodo’s mind. His own voice, over and over again. “We shall go through the mines. We shall go through the mines. We shall go through the mines…” He had made that decision. Gandalf had given him a choice and Frodo had failed him, with Gandalf’s death as the consequence.

Frodo glanced around at his remaining companions and saw grief written on their features. The other hobbits showed it openly and at times a sob would escape Pippin’s attempted stoic reserve. Legolas was a mixture of confusion and sorrow: being one of the Elven-kind he did not experience death often, and was all the more affected by it when he did. Aragorn, though, was the most painful to look at. Out of all the Fellowship he had known Gandalf best and had been Gandalf’s primary councilor on this journey. It was Aragorn who now had to lead the Fellowship on, so he tried to hide his pain, but it was still there and Frodo saw it clearly. All this grief was because of him.

“We shall let the Ringbearer decide.” Gandalf had said. Because of his own selfishness, his desire to get out of the biting cold, Frodo had chosen the more dangerous road. ‘I’m such a fool.’ Frodo thought bitterly. ‘Gandalf…’


Sam looked at Mister Frodo worriedly. He hadn’t spoken at all since they’d left the mines. ‘He looks awful pale,’ Sam thought. ‘He don’t seem to be ‘oldin’ up as well as the rest of us.’ Samwise quickened his pace to catch up with Strider. He’d know what to do. “Strider?” Sam said softly, trying to match the Ranger’s long pace. Aragorn looked down and waited for him to continue. “Strider, Mister Frodo’s kind of been lagging behind for a while and he ‘asn’t been sayin’ anything… and, well, I was thinkin’ maybe that it has somethin’ to do with that knock ’e got from that cave troll back there and I was, well, I was wonderin’ if maybe you could take a look at him.”

Strider looked pained for a moment, but quickly concealed it and said, “Of course, Sam. We will stop as soon as we get to this stream in the bottom of this valley.”

Sam was relieved. “Thank you.” He said and fell back into his place beside Frodo.

Aragorn berated himself for not noticing it before. It was obvious that Frodo was in real pain and seemingly on the verge of exhaustion. Gandalf had had faith in his ability to guide the Fellowship. “Lead them on, Aragorn.” He had said. Yet already Aragorn had failed to notice that the most important member of the Company was about to collapse. Gandalf would have noticed it sooner. He would have known what to do.

*“Aragorn?” Legolas’ voice broke through his gray thoughts. He spoke in Elvish. “Nar le man, mellon nin?” Aragorn did not look at him.

“Unen!” He responded fiercely. “Mithrandir na firn,” He switched back to Westron. “And already I am failing the Fellowship.” He looked back meaningfully at Frodo. Legolas followed his gaze.

“Ai,” He said. He clasped Aragorn’s shoulder comfortingly. “Dan estel, Elessar. Aure entuluva!”* Aragorn smiled weakly in gratitude.

“Thank you, my friend.” By this time they had reached the stream. Now to see about Frodo.


Yes, I know, another short chappie. But I’m writing often and there will be lots of them! Bear with me! *hint hint reviews compel me to write faster hint*

PLEASE SEND REVIEWS! I need suggestions, ideas, constructive criticism, CORRECTIONS FOR THE ELVISH, compliments, comments, etc. It’s so easy! Just press the handy-dandy review button! (my brother watches Blues Clues, alright?)

*Aragorn’s and Legolas’ conversation in Elvish*

“Aragorn?” Legolas’ voice broke through his gray thoughts. He spoke in Elvish. Are you good (well), my friend?”Aragorn did not look at him.

“I am not.” He responded fiercely. “Gandalf is dead,” He switched back to Westron. “And already I am failing the Fellowship.” He looked back meaningfully at Frodo. Legolas followed his gaze.

“Ah,” He said. He clasped Aragorn’s shoulder comfortingly. “Take hope, Elf-stone. Day will come again!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List