Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Grief and Guilt of a Ringbearer  by Cantora Eledhwen

The Grief and Guilt of the Ringbearer

            Disclaimer: The characters are not mine; they belong to the illustrious Professor Tolkien. I have merely borrowed them to play with but I promise to return them.

            Summery: After Gandalf’s fall, Frodo feels his loss keenly and it is made worse by Frodo’s guilt. (FotR, no slash, movie verse, Frodo pov)

Prologue- The Fall of a Friend

            A devil had come. A fiery demon of darkness was upon them and Gandalf was the only barrier between it and the rest of the Fellowship. Frodo watched, amazed, as his long-time friend and councilor did battle with this monster; as he revealed powers and skills Frodo had never known or imagined he had possessed.

            “You cannot pass!” Gandalf cried to the Balrog.

            “Gandalf!” Frodo cried, his voice filled with fear for his friend.

            “I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!” The Balrog reared up to his full height, which was enormous. Gandalf looked so small. Their swords clashed with a resounded CLANG! The sword of the Balrog shattered into molten fragments. “Go back to the Shadow!” Gandalf raised his staff. “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” He shouted, his voice filled with power and command. He brought his staff down upon the Bridge with a CRACK! Frodo saw the Bridge crack and crumble in front of the Balrog. With a ripping sound the Bridge split completely in two and the Balrog fell into the bottomless chasm of Khazad-dum. Frodo began to heave a sigh of relief as Gandalf turned wearily and began to walk towards them. Suddenly, the Balrog’s whip SNAPPED up and entwined itself around Gandalf’s legs. Frodo gasped in horror and a look of shock came over Gandalf’s face as the fiery whip pulled him down. He grasped vainly at the chipped rock Bridge. Frodo heard someone scream “No, no!” Frodo tried to run to Gandalf. He had to help him! Someone firmly held him back. “GANDALF!” Frodo cried desperately. There was a moment of tense silence as Gandalf hung to the rock by his fingertips.

            “Fly, you fools!” Gandalf said fiercely. Then his fingers gave way and he fell into darkness.

            “NO!” Frodo screamed, his voice filled with anguish. He struggled against the strong person who was holding him back. Gandalf! He had to go to Gandalf! The big person began to pull him away. No! He could not leave Gandalf! Couldn’t this person understand that? The person forcibly picked him up and began to carry him away. “NO!!!” Frodo cried again. His heart was being ripped from him. This was not real! It was yet another nightmare. Gandalf!

            “Aragorn!” Frodo vaguely heard the person holding him yell. Frodo began to kick and beat against the big person’s chest. He must put him down! He had to go back to Gandalf! Why couldn’t he understand? The person paid no attention to him and carried him the rest of the way through Moria. Frodo’s body began shaking with sobs. The person, Boromir, Frodo realized, held him closer as if to comfort him and began to stroke his curls. “Shh, little one.” He whispered into Frodo’s ear. Frodo laid his head down on the Big Man’s shoulder and wept. Gandalf. Frodo’s grief overwhelmed him and it seemed as if a giant fist had gripped his chest and was squeezing it in two.

            Gandalf was gone.

~TBC~

            I know this is short, but it IS a prologue after all, and they aren’t supposed to be that long anyway. I had to kind of lead up to my story with this. If you read it, review it!!! I need ideas and suggestions, along with constructive criticism and comments. Compliments and praise would be fine as well. It takes only thirty seconds, just review it!

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List