Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

History Lessons: The Second Age  by Nilmandra

Thanks to daw the minstrel for beta reading this chapter

Imladris Third Age 253
(Arwen is 12 and the twins 123 years old)

Chapter 1: Brothers and Sister

It was still dark when Arwen laid the small bag on her bed and began filling it with her favorite things.   Her favorite doll, her favorite book, the embroidery of roses her mother was helping her with, her pad of paper and colored pencils, and her own favorite cup that didn’t spill when tipped over.  She looked around her room, content she had everything important for the day, then carefully tied her cloak about her shoulders.  It really was not cold, but her mother would insist she wear it in the chill of the spring morning. Picking up her bag, she left her room and made her way down the hall, out of the family quarters, and to the front door of the house.

“Good morning, Arwen,” said Amariel, an elf who tended to the clothing of the people in Elrond’s house.

“Good morning, Amariel,” answered Arwen solemnly.

A little further down the hall she met Erestor. He bowed slightly, then greeted her.

“Good morning, Lady Arwen,” he said formally.

“Good morning, Erestor,” replied Arwen politely, without stopping.

“I am glad you have your cloak; there is a chill in the air this morning,” Erestor continued.  When she attempted to pass him, he stepped into her path, blocking her way. “Perhaps you should stop in the kitchen for some hot tea.”

Arwen stopped and looked at Erestor contemplatively for a moment.  “Yes,” she finally answered.  “I believe that would be comforting.” She took the hand he held out to her, and allowed him to escort her to the kitchens.  The kindly cook filled her cup with sweetened hot tea, and wrapped several scones for her as well.  These Erestor graciously carried on a tray for her.

Once on the front porch, Arwen commandeered the swing.  Setting her bag to one side, she climbed up to sit next to it, and Erestor set the tray on the other side of her.  She took her doll out of the bag, smoothed her dress, and set her on the other side of the tray. She looked off into the distance and sighed, then said, “It may be a long day.”

Erestor smiled and smoothed her hair affectionately, before walking back into the house.  Days like today were much anticipated, and fortunately for Arwen, it was warm enough that she could wait outside.  Arwen sipped her tea carefully, and then pulled her book out to begin reading as the sun rose over the treetops.

* * *

Elrond entered the dining hall, quickly scanning the room to see who was present before seating himself next to Celebrían.  Erestor was quietly speaking to his wife, but his daughter was nowhere to be seen.

“She is on the porch, settled in for the day,” Celebrían answered the question on his lips, then kissed those same lips before returning her attention to her breakfast.

Elrond glanced at the fruit on his wife’s plate, then stabbed a plump strawberry with his fork.  He savored the sweet taste, then looked up and down the table for the bowl.  His brow furrowed as he realized there were none left.  He looked surreptitiously at the beautiful globes beckoning him from Celebrían’s plate.

“Are you coveting my fruit, hervenn?” asked Celebrían sweetly.

“Yes,” Elrond answered hopefully. “It appears there are none left.”

“Indeed, one had to be early to partake of the strawberries.”

“Alas, my duties kept me from the breakfast table this morning,” replied Elrond mournfully.  When Celebrían did not respond to his best pathetic look, he decided to change tactics.  “Perhaps you would consider a trade?”

Celebrían perked up at this offer, but then quickly resumed her breakfast.  “I cannot think of anything I want or need, meleth-nín.”

His hand slid playfully up her thigh under the privacy of the table and a smile crossed his face as she sighed thoughtfully.  After a moment she split her supply of strawberries in half and placed a portion of them on his plate.

“I will share with you in remembrance of things given that I desired,” Celebrían answered.

 When she smiled, he fell in love with her all over again.

“Does our small living reminder of things desired know that her brothers are not expected back from their patrol until mid-afternoon?” Elrond asked.

“She has been told, but has high hopes that they will come sooner than that.  Last time they returned early and she was not there waiting. She is determined that this will not happen again.”

“Elladan and Elrohir need to remember that she takes to heart anything they say,” said Elrond. “They teased her about not being there to greet them, and now she waits from sunup when they are expected.”

Celebrían smiled.  “But I love that they love her as they do, and that she adores them.”

Elrond smiled as he savored another strawberry.  He had never asked that the tastiest morsels of food be set aside for his family, but he was close to begging the Master Gardener who grew these in the greenhouses to save him a few every so often. He looked at the last few on his plate with a greedy eye, but then wrapped them in his napkin and set them aside.  He finished the rest of his breakfast, bid farewell to those lingering at the table, and then took the napkin with him as he left.

He found Arwen sleeping on the swing in the bright morning sun, her eyes half closed and her book laid across her chest.  Her tray was empty, and he removed that to a side table, glad she had at least eaten what Cook had given her, and then sat down beside her.  He pulled the book from her lap and then lifted her in his arms.  She snuggled against him with a sigh. Elrond rocked her quietly for some minutes, until the blue eyes suddenly focused and she quickly sat upright, her bright eyes scanning the yard.

“They are not home yet,” laughed Elrond. 

Arwen leaned back against him with a sigh.  Elrond opened his napkin in front of her to reveal the saved strawberries.  She turned her head slightly to look up at him with a smile, and when he nodded, she popped a whole berry in her mouth.

“You have the last one, Ada. I know they are your favorites,” said Arwen, as she held the berry to his lips.

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Elrond replied as he pulled her to him again.  They sat quietly for a few moments, enjoying the warm sunshine and watching the birds that were landing on the porch rail. “Arwen, you know that you do not have to wait here all day for Elladan and Elrohir to come home?”

Arwen shook her head resolutely.

“I could have the guards send word when the patrol approaches,” offered Elrond.

“No thank you, Ada. I will wait here.”

Elrond moved her to where she had been sitting before.  “You may have lunch here, but if they do not come before dinner, you must come in and eat with us at the dinner table.”

Arwen kissed him on the cheek and nodded, and Elrond stood and returned to his duties inside the house.

* * *

“Glorfindel, do you think that Adar will send us to the Havens?” asked Elladan as he maneuvered his horse alongside the magnificent white horse Glorfindel rode.

Glorfindel’s eyes twinkled as he regarded the eager son of Elrond before him.  He contemplated teasing the young elf, but he knew how excited the twins were at the idea of visiting Círdan at the Havens.  “I have heard that he is contemplating such action,” he answered with a smile.

“Will he let us go alone?”

“No,” answered Glorfindel without a moment’s hesitation.

“But Glorfindel, there is hardly any danger anymore!” protested Elladan.  “We have only heard stories of orcs and have never seen a troll.”

“As fortunate as you are to have lived in a time of peace, Middle-earth is not a safe place and your father will not send the two of you alone.  We still encounter goblins in the Misty Mountains and reports have come of evil men from the east moving westward,” replied Glorfindel firmly.

Elrohir rode up on the other side of Elladan, having heard the conversation from behind them.  “Then will we go with you, Glorfindel?”

“Perhaps,” he answered non-committally. “It is not for me to decide.  You must speak to your father.”

With that, he waved them off and rode ahead. Indeed Elladan and Elrohir would be accompanying him and two others. The details of the journey were already planned, but as much as he would enjoy telling the twins himself, Elrond wished for that joy himself.

He waved a greeting to the guards near the entrance to Imladris, then released the bells he kept tightly bound and wrapped in soft cloth to prevent unwanted noise while on patrol.  His horse threw back his noble head and stepped high, shaking the tiny bells and whinnying with pleasure.  Glorfindel laughed aloud then, and behind him many a head was shaken and other voices joined his as the elves indulged their captain his whim.

As they rode into the courtyard, a tiny figure raced down the stairs of the porch of the house.  They dismounted as grooms came forward to lead their horses to the stables and Elladan caught the small elleth who leapt into his arms and hugged him tight.

“I was waiting this time, Elladan,” she informed him as she kissed his cheek, and then stretched her arm out to embrace Elrohir and kiss him too.

“We would have been very disappointed if you were not,” replied Elladan as he hugged her back.

Arwen wrinkled her nose primly at him.  “You smell like a horse.”

Elladan laughed and tossed her high in the hair, laughing at the squeal she made at being caught off guard.  “If you slept with a horse at night, you would smell like one too!”

To Arwen’s surprise, Elladan tossed her high into the air, but she did not fall back to his protective arms.  The twins both laughed at the shock on her face as an even taller and stronger elf caught her and held her high.

“Glorfindel!”

“Mae Govannen, little princess!” Glorfindel lowered her to his chest, pressed his lips to her cheek and blew a wet kiss on her.

“Glorfindel, stop that!” Arwen pushed him away, giggling. 

“Stop what?  This?” Glorfindel tickled her.

“Elrohir, save me from this brute!” Arwen shrieked, holding her arms out to her brother.

Elrohir scooped her up, laughing.  Elladan was pointing at Glorfindel and laughing at the shocked look on his face.

“She called me a brute!” said Glorfindel indignantly.

“You were tickling me!” Arwen defended herself.

His arms crossed over his chest and one foot tapping on the ground, Glorfindel eyed the small child glaring back at him from the safety of her brother’s arms.

“I might do far worse for being disrespectful to your elders,” growled Glorfindel playfully.

Arwen tossed her head and looked away from the golden warrior.  “I am not afraid of you,” she informed him, her hand twisting tightly into Elrohir’s tunic.

Glorfindel winked at the twins before moving back into Arwen’s line of sight. “Are you sure about that, Lady Arwen?” he purred, grinning.

Arwen’s eyes opened wide and she slid down her brother to stand before Glorfindel.  Her arms crossed over her chest and fire in her eyes, she lifted her foot in preparation to stomp on his when laughter all around her made her look up and around.  Her brothers and Glorfindel were laughing, as were other warriors and bystanders.  Color rose in her cheeks at the humiliation, and her lower lip began to tremble as tears filled her eyes.  The first tear slid down her cheek as she turned to run into the house.  After only a few steps she found herself caught in someone’s arms, but when she turned her head she found it was Elrohir.  She buried her face in his shoulder to hide her tears.

“Shhh, Arwen,” Elrohir said gently.  “Listen.”

Sheltered in Elrohir’s arms, her own long hair hiding her face, she listened as the warriors laughed at ……Glorfindel?

“Bested by a child, Glorfindel!” said one of the other captains who had come to greet them.

“You certainly are an elder,” teased a younger warrior playfully.  “Perhaps we can teach an old elf how to charm the maidens.”

Glorfindel accepted the teasing good-naturedly, then began looking around for Arwen.  He walked to her and bowed slightly, then held out his hand.  Elrohir nudged her to take it, and when she did, he kissed it like a gentleman ought.

“I am glad to see you, Arwen, even if you did best me in front of my command,” acknowledged Glorfindel.

A confused look, followed by dismay passed across Arwen’s face.  She held her arms out to Glorfindel, then hugged him and kissed his cheek.  “Oh, no Glorfindel.  I did not mean to make you look bad!”

Another roar of laugher echoed in the courtyard at this pronouncement, and Elrohir gently pushed them towards the house after seeing the confused look cross Arwen’s face again.  Elladan joined them, and they stopped on the porch, Glorfindel setting Arwen down amidst her treasures.

Elladan picked up and folded her cloak, while Elrohir picked up her drawing pad and began leafing through the pages.

“Arwen, how long have you been waiting here?” Elrohir finally asked.

“Since the sun came up,” replied Arwen proudly.  “I was not going to disappoint you again.”

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged glances and both blushed slightly.  They helped her pack her things, then Elladan took her by the hand while Elrohir picked up her bag, and they entered the house together.  As soon as they were inside, she let go of Elladan’s hand and raced down the hall, swerving deftly around Erestor as he stepped into the corridor, and calling, “Ada, Nana, they are finally home!”

“I will put her bag in her room,” said Erestor as he took the bag from Elrohir.  “Welcome home.  You have time to bathe before dinner.”

Elladan grinned at Erestor.  “You would have scolded us for running in the hall.”

“Yes, I would have,” answered Erestor matter-of-factly.  “Now, go get ready for dinner.  I will bring your packs up later too.”

Glorfindel dropped the twins’ packs on the floor before Erestor, grinning when bits of dirt and a few twigs fell on to the polished floor.  Erestor glared at him momentarily, then sniffed, his nose upturned as if at some foul odor. 

“The baths are that way.” Erestor pointed down the hall, carefully lifted the packs to keep them from touching his clothing and headed for the laundry.

Glorfindel laughed aloud.  “And a good day to you too!”  Whistling, he headed for the baths.

* * *

Arwen sat between her brothers, a beaming smile on her face.  She barely listened to what was being said around her.  Her mind raced with the things she needed to show her brothers and tell them had happened in the week they had been gone.  The kittens in the barn had their eyes open, and could now be picked up without the mother cat growling.  She had another rose done in her stitchery, and she knew Elrohir would like it because he had helped her pick out the thread colors.  Lindir had taught her a new note on the flute as well as on the harp.  They were her favorite instruments because they were the ones her brothers played.  Erestor had practiced her song with her, singing Elladan’s part, to help her prepare for the duet she and her brother would sing at the summer festival. 

“Thank you, Adar!”

Elrohir’s slightly raised voice caught her attention and she sat back in her chair, looking at him. 

“Glorfindel will lead the trip, and two other guards will accompany you,” Elrond said.  “You will be able to visit Círdan and the Havens, and Lindon as well.  I do expect you home by the end of summer, however.”

Arwen tugged on Elrohir’s sleeve.  “Where are you going?”

“We are going with Glorfindel to deliver something to Círdan from Adar.  We will visit the Havens and Lindon,” replied Elrohir enthusiastically.

“How long will you be gone?” asked Arwen in a small voice.

“Just for the summer, Arwen,” Elrohir answered, his voice softening in response to the look of dismay that crossed her face.  “We will return before you know it.”

Arwen turned to Elladan. “We will not sing our duet at the summer solstice?”

“I am sorry, Arwen,” Elladan replied sincerely.  “Perhaps we can sing it at the fall festival.”

“It is a song about summer,” said Arwen softly.

Arwen slid from her chair and approached her mother, touching her softly on the sleeve.  Celebrían was laughing at something Glorfindel said, and Arwen felt a deep anger towards him build within her.

“Yes, Arwen?” Celebrían smoothed the dark hair back from Arwen’s face and kissed her on the forehead as she gave her daughter her full attention.

“Nana, I am tired.  May I be excused?”

“Yes, darling.  Your Adar and I will come to bid you goodnight in a little while,” replied Celebrían.

Arwen left the room slowly, turning back once to look at her brothers.  They were laughing and happy, speaking to their parents and Glorfindel about their trip.  She quickly left the room and made her way down the hall to her own chamber, and only there did she let her tears fall.  They would be gone all summer and she did not think she could bear it.  Worse yet, it appeared not to bother them at all that they would be apart from her.

* * *

“Adar, tell us more about Lindon and the Havens,” said Elrohir, his face shining.

Elrond smiled, pleased to see his sons so obviously thrilled with the idea of their adventure far from home. He knew Círdan would enjoy meeting his sons, and he wished for them to see Lindon before it faded further than it already had, bereft of Gil-Galad’s presence.

“Lindon is called the last of the great elven kingdoms, and nearly every elf who had survived the destruction of Beleriand lived there at one time,” he began.  “The many cultures contributed to a rich atmosphere where, as Gil-Galad had hoped, we truly lived and did not just survive….

 

~ ~ ~* * *~ ~ ~

Elrond walked down the brick paved street of Lindon, a wide thoroughfare that was split in the middle to house a large fountain surrounded by a wide seat.  Elflings played in the shallow water, splashing each other and sailing their small boats about the large lower pool.  Trees shaded the sides of the street, and beneath the boughs of one large tree a small orchestra played – rays of sunshine dappled those below, glinting off the polished wood of the fine instruments.  Elrond found himself smiling at the children, recalling the joy he and Elros had had playing on the beach of the Isle of Balar when they were small. He hummed along with the musicians as he strolled past.

A large sun garden sat opposite the musicians, and elves tended the roses that flourished in their care.  Pink, yellow, white, red and even an occasional blue flower flourished amidst the lush greenery.  Warm summer breezes sent tantalizing smells wafting over the street, and Elrond breathed in the heady fragrance, momentarily closing his eyes as he savored the experience.

He continued down the street, passing by the amphitheater.  The outdoor section was in use, and he could hear the sounds of music and dance being practiced.  He walked on to the large brick library, climbing up the stairs and entering the wing where scribes were copying texts of elven lore and artists were illustrating the completed pages. He laid the volume he had brought with him on the table, nodding as the young scribe bowed to him before opening the pages in delight.  Carefully pressed between the pages were dried leaves of various herbs along with sketches of the plants they came from and a written description of where they were most likely to be found.  Elrond had spent much of the previous year collecting the samples and documenting the habitats that had produced them.  He had traveled far inland, to Lake Evendim in the North and then further east, to the low slopes of the Misty Mountains.   These samples were of plants known to him or others in his party, all of whom had a deep interest in herbal lore.  Other samples they had collected and were testing to see what benefit they might offer. Artists would now draw detailed renderings of the leaves and copy Elrond’s own drawings of the plants and text into beautiful script.

He left the library only hesitantly, for though he knew he must attend a meeting in a short time, he was drawn to the smells of leather and ink and parchment.  He always felt at home in the atmosphere of the library.  He walked into the street again, this time heading to the palace of the King. Situated at the end of the street, the palace was a glorious end to the beauty of this main thoroughfare.  As Elrond approached the stairs he saw the long robes and beard of a figure he knew well, and he waited patiently for the old elf to reach him.

“Círdan,” Elrond greeted him warmly, and he breathed in the smell of sea salt that pervaded all Círdan owned as the elf embraced him.

“Elrond, it is good to see you.  How was your time in the wild?” Círdan’s voice remained gruff, but Elrond loved the sound of it, different as it was from the melodious voices of most elves.

“Beneficial.  I look forward to exploring south along the coast line in the future, and perhaps even crossing the Misty Mountains to the great river beyond,” answered Elrond with a smile.

“Ereinion suggests others may wish to settle eastward.”

Elrond pulled a scroll identical to the one Círdan held from his robe. “So I hear. I did not travel so far south as Khazad-dum. The tales of the workmanship of the dwarves there are grand indeed.”

“Galadriel and Celeborn will go,” Círdan forewarned him. 

Elrond looked up in surprise. “This is certain?”

“I believe so, though they will go for different reasons.”

“The Nargothrond survivors going would not surprise me.  They have lived and worked with dwarves in the past, in closer relationship than those of Doriath.”

“Celebrimbor will go,” confirmed Círdan. He looked off in the distance for a moment, toward the settlement of the green elves that was beyond the main city of Lindon.  “The green elves are content, for this has been their home for many a year.  Some of the Sindar seek the simpler time of days past, when the Nandor lived peacefully in the trees, blending with the land as part of nature.  They have heard tale of kin that did not pass the Misty Mountains. Word has it that they wish to travel east to find these lost kinfolk, to see how they fare and if the shadow that covered Beleriand in times past also affected them.”

“I have heard talk of this for many years.  Do you believe it will happen soon?” Elrond asked skeptically.

“It will in time.  Many have explored farther inland, yourself included.  The ships of Númenor have sailed the coastline now, and they have plans to sail further east, as well as make land and explore inland.  Each group explores for different reasons. For these Sindar, it is lost kin and a simple way of life they seek. If they are welcomed by these elves, they will go and settle among them.”

“We have had many years of peace,” said Elrond thoughtfully as they climbed the stairs together. “Restlessness grows among some who wish to experience new things and try new crafts.”

Círdan turned his gaze to the far west then.  “Aye, the same restlessness that caused some of the Noldor to leave Valinor and seek adventure in the land of their forbearer’s awakening. Only some came to follow Fëanor in his quest for the Silmarilli.  The greater excitement lay in exploration.”

They entered the Great Hall, acknowledging the bows of guards who served as ornament now rather than security.  They were motioned to the antechamber that sat behind Gil-Galad’s throne, and found several other advisors and interested parties already present.

After greetings were exchanged, Gil-Galad opened the meeting.

“I have called together all who have spoken to me, or who I have heard are interested in making settlements farther inland or exploring eastward for other reasons.  Many explorations have already occurred, some led by individuals and some that I have sent. It is time we discussed this openly.  Celebrimbor?”

Celebrimbor stood, an elf close in stature and appearance to his father Curufin, son of Fëanor, but who had not sworn an oath to recover the Silmarilli nor harmed his kin.

“The dwarves of Nogrod have moved most of their people to Moria, Khazad-dum in their tongue, where they claim to have discovered Mithril, the most precious of metals.  In our friendship with these dwarves, we have spoken of establishing an elven settlement nearby and working with them in an arrangement beneficial to all.  I will lead my smiths and craftsmen there.”

“It is also wise to have an elven stronghold inland,” added Galadriel.  “Evil exists yet in the East.  An inland stronghold protects Lindon and the Havens of Mithlond.”

“We seek not riches, but our kin,” interrupted Oropher, motioning to the Sindar who sat near him. “Elves live yet in the forests beyond the Misty Mountains and in the lands east of the Anduin, in the mighty Greenwood.  But we do not go to bring the culture of Lindon to these Silvan elves,” he ended forcefully.

“What do you hope to bring them?” asked Círdan curiously.

“News of kin, and the destruction of Beleriand.  Warning that though Morgoth is chained, the Valar care not that Sauron and others of his followers still reside in Middle-earth or that these may seek to bring harm and shadow upon them.”

“You shall be their saviors, then?” asked Galadriel lightly.

“Nay, merely relatives with information that may aid them.  We do not seek to change them to Noldor ways,” answered Oropher tersely.

Celeborn bristled at this insult, for the implication was that he, as one of the Sindar, had done just that.  “Let us not forget what all of us elves who stay in Middle-earth have in common: hope and a love for this land.  Why we have hope and why we are tied to the land may differ, but let us not seek to divide our people.  We may bring aid to them in the way of knowledge of all kinds, but forget not that they may teach and aid us as well.”

Gil-Galad raised his hand for silence.

“All are, of course, free to go forth as they please. Oropher, if I may aid you in any way, please make your requests known to me.  I should like to know who travels with you, in case others seek them.  If you are well received and do not plan to return, send word of this and of the elves you find.  I shall send emissaries to establish relations with you.”

Oropher appeared pleased at Gil-Galad’s words, and Elrond silently noted that Amdir and others of the Sindar who remained in the background, while glaring at Galadriel, Celebrimbor and others of the Noldor, looked upon the King with respect. Celeborn, he thought regretfully, would ever be caught between his heritage and his marriage to a Noldor elf.

“Celeborn and Galadriel, you seem prepared to go forth and explore and establish a settlement.  Celebrimbor, am I correct in believing that you wish to focus on your craft?” Gil-Galad continued.

Celebrimbor merely nodded, the politics and strife not of interest to him.  Elrond noted this reaction, and thought the elf would defer to Galadriel in all things except his craft, his reason for settling near Moria.

“Please include Elrond in your planning and let him know of your needs.  We will meet again, at a time to be scheduled, to see how your preparations progress and to ensure that methods of contact are established to maintain communications between our peoples.”

Gil-Galad rose, as did everyone else in the room, and with a nearly imperceptible nod of his head to Círdan and Elrond, Círdan followed him and Elrond knew he was to join them later.

Elrond moved first to the Sindar, seeing the slight distrust in their eyes.  He might be descended from their king, but his loyalty to Gil-Galad would always make him suspect in their minds.  Oropher acknowledged his offer for assistance and agreed to inform him of their plans, but left quickly.

“Come to dinner this eve, Elrond, and we shall begin discussions.” Elrond heard Galadriel’s soft voice behind him.  He turned to see her standing with Celeborn, and agreed to her suggestion.

Elrond waited until all had left the antechamber, and took a minute to collect his thoughts and ponder on all he had heard.  Gil-Galad would expect his assessment of each individual involved and where he thought their loyalties would reside in the future. Gil-Galad is wise to let them go and even offer assistance, Elrond thought. He does more to maintain ultimate loyalty by letting them go their own ways than by attempting to gain control of their endeavors.  And so this begins a new era in Middle-earth.

~ ~ ~* * *~ ~ ~

Celebrían rose as soon as the story ended, but Elrond and the twins were already engrossed in another conversation regarding the politics of the decisions for elves to split apart and seek their own paths.  She cleared her throat and three identical sets of eyes turned to her.

“Excuse me, Naneth!” Elrohir jumped to his feet, quickly followed by the others. 

“I am going to tuck Arwen in,” she said with a smile to Elrohir, who was blushing at his lack of manners.

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged rather sheepish glances. “Naneth, we are sorry that we have made Arwen unhappy.  We will speak with her in the morning,” Elladan spoke for both of them.

“She is disappointed, but that is to be expected,” replied Celebrían. “She misses you when you are gone.  She will adjust and have a fine summer here with us, and be very excited when you are finally home again.”

“We will join you in the Hall of Fire in a short while,” Elrond informed his sons.  Offering Celebrían his arm, he escorted her from the dining area and to Arwen’s room.  The door was partially open, and they entered to see Arwen in her bed, her hair loose and spread about her pillow. She was sound asleep.  Tear tracks were still evident on her face and she clutched her doll tightly to her.

They sat down on either side of the bed, Celebrían quickly undressing the child and holding her upright as Elrond slipped a nightgown over her head.

“She is exhausted from crying herself to sleep,” said Celebrían tenderly.  “It is so hard being the little sister sometimes.”  She kissed her daughter on the forehead and pulled the covers up over the child and her doll, again held tightly.

Elrond was silent, his heart aching at seeing one of his children in pain.  There was nothing to be done but to love the child through her hurt, for her brothers had to be allowed to grow as well.  He kissed her as well, then rested his hand on her forehead, soothing the hurt in her heart and willing sweet dreams to visit her.

* * * * *

hervenn------------husband
meleth-nín---------my love
Mae Govannen---well met

Author’s Notes

In answer to several questions that reviewers had, I have copied a few lines from LACE (Laws and Customs of the Eldar), HoME Vol X Morgoth’s Ring

The Eldar grew in bodily form slower than Men, but in mind more swiftly.  They learned to speak before they were one year old; and in the same time they learned to walk and to dance, for their wills cam soon to the mastery of their bodies. 

This same watcher might indeed have wondered at the small limbs and statures of these children, judging their age by their skill in words and grace in motion.  For at the end of the third year mortal children began to outstrip the elves, hastening on to a full stature while the Elves lingered in the first spring of childhood.  Children of Men might reach their full height while Eldar of the same age were still in body like to mortals of not more than seven years.  Not until the fiftieth year did the Eldar attain the stature and shape in which their lives would afterwards endure, and for some a hundred years would pass before they were full-grown.

So, think of Arwen as a precocious human 5 year old, and that is how she might appear to us.  The twins are ‘young adults’ – fully grown, with the rights and responsibilities of adulthood, able to marry and so on – but still very young in the eyes of their people.  In my mind I see an adult in their early to mid twenties – of age, but still young.

With regards to the history of the Second Age:  I am using the Tale of Years in Appendix B of the LOTR for the dates, but often we don’t know who was involved or how things happened.  In the second age, we know that some of the Noldor founded Eregion in II 750.  In Unfinished Tales, we are told it is Celeborn and Galadriel; but elsewhere Celebrimbor is called Lord of Eregion.  I am going to use a lot of the information from UT about Galadriel and Celeborn and their presence in Eregion, but I am not going to have Amroth be their son.  It is tempting, but creates too many problems for me later on. We also know that some of the Sindar moved eastward to join the Silvan elves….but when, exactly, is unclear. Appendix B has it occurring before Barad-dur was built in Mordor, and that occurred in II 1000. I am going to have Oropher and Amdir be the leaders of this movement – but some sources suggest it was Thranduil, not Oropher, who led the Sindar east.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List