Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Rivendell Burning  by Yuna_Dax

Title - Rivendell Burning - Chapter 3 - Help Arrives

Author - Jules AKA YunaDax

Disclaimer - They Do.. I don't.

Rating - PG 13 for angst and unpleasant circumstances

Summery - Arson and murder befall the Last Homely House

Authors Note - This is part of a series.. its is recommended that you read the first two chapters to get any kind of sense out of this one :)

Dedication - To Sonbon, Minka, Katie and the Pakettes :)

 

Help Arrives

 

The next few weeks passed in a blur for Elrohir. The wounded were moved to one of the small servant huts that had remarkably escaped being burnt and were tended with whatever supplies came to hand; and those who were not adept at healing were sent on hunting parties to bring back whatever game and foodstuffs or medicinal herbs they could come across. The many dead were cremated with as much dignity as Elrohir could give them, which was nowhere near as much as he would have liked, considering the bearing that many of the dead held within the halls of Imladris. He watched solemnly as his foster brother and father were cremated beside each other, a fitting if not futile gesture in Elrohirs' mind, but alas there was so many dead, cremation seemed the only practical way.

Tears streamed down his face as the flames lipped their way up the pyre, hungrily devouring the kindling and growing hotter and fiercer with each passing moment. He had known since the first day Aragorn came into his life that he was human, and alas would come of old age or perish in battle. He had known that Aragorn would die one day, but he had never imaged having to deal with the death of his father. Elves were supposed to die in battle, or from grief, or to sail into the west to be with all the elves that had gone before them, but never to be murdered in their own home, to bleed to death in front of their only children. No, it shouldn't end like this. Elrohir pushed aside his grief as he had become so accustomed to doing in the short time since he had assumed the role of Lord of Imladris. Elladan and Legolas were still recovering from their burns, and although both were nearly fully recovered, the healers did not allow them on anything but short excursions from the impromptu infirmary until their waning strength returned, thus the people looked to the only available son of Elrond to lead them.

Elrohir forced his eyes away from the smoking pyre and surveyed what was left of the valley. 3 small dwellings had survived the arson attack intact, with several others damaged and many leveled to the ground. Elrohir had designated one hut as an infirmary, and the other two for sleeping, allowing the survivors a place to rest out of the elements and in the company of other beings. No-one was ready to spend a night alone this soon after the fire, their grief was all so close to the surface and none could withstand the call alone. They would have to make it through together. His musings were interrupted by a bandaged hand being laid on his shoulder from behind and he startled, whirling about to come nose to nose with a face identical to his own.

" I apologise brother, I meant not to startle you " Elladan said softly as his own grief caught in his words. His eyes remained fixed on the burning pyre in front of them, the smoky billowing towards the sky and raining fine ashes atop of everything. The twins stood together silently, contemplated their past as well as the future of the Valley. Could they ever rebuild The Last Homely House, knowing what had happened there? Would they leave with the other surviving elves to find another home, wandering the forests much akin to the journeys of their forefathers until finding a place suitable to start anew?

 Their thoughts were interrupted by the sound of an elvish horn accompanied by the murmur of many soft footfalls. Elvish footfalls. Those who were able stopped whatever task they were doing and gathered in the small clearing, hope that help had finally arrived carelessly written across their faces as they awaited the bearer of the horns. Elladan and Elrohir made their way to the head of the congregation, their keen eyes surveying the path before them as it disappeared around a corner, eager to see who was coming towards them. Glorfindel made his way also to the front, grasping one of the few remaining bows in the valley, the quiver on his back a mishmash of any arrow he could find or make himself. He stopped slightly in front of the Twins, making it obvious to all and sundry he was reprising his role as the Royal Guard. An arrow was fitted to the string, the slight pop as the nock clicked onto the strong twine, and the string was pulled taunt, the arrow sighted on the bend in the path, ready in case the incoming help was not all it seemed to be.

The footfalls came closer and closer, until small host of 2 dozen elves rounded the corner, their grey cloaks travel stained from long days of marching. A single blonde elf led the pack, his distinctive regal presence and armour marking him as Haldir of Lorien.

Haldir signaled for his company to halt as took in the ragtag group of elves in front of them. The Last Homely House was nothing but a mass of molten metal and wood and there was only about half the elves in front of them than would normally inhabit the valley. His eyes came to rest on the blonde elf at the head of the raggedly bunch, his bowstring taunt and the arrow sighted on them. But it was not the weapon that worried Haldir, it was the haunted look in his old friends eyes.

" Peace! We bring aid from Lorien!" He called clearly, only proceeding when the weapon aimed at him was lowered. The Lorien elves continued until they stood directly in front of Glorfindel who in turn still stood slightly in front of the Twins.

" My apologies Haldir, tensions have been running high here of late" Glorfindel said quietly as his regarded the other blonde elf. The twins allowed the two a moment before stepping up beside their former mentor.

" Haldir, your assistance is most timely. We are in great need of any aid you may be able to provide" Elrohir said softly as he clasped the strong forearms of the Lorien elf.

 " We bring supplies and aid from Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. We have orders not to leave until you are able to manage on your own. " Haldir declared to the Twins, an uncanny matched look of relief washing over their taunt pain-filled faces as they realised they could now pass some of their burden onto another.

" You have our undying gratitude Haldir" Elladan spoke quietly, leaning on Elrohir slightly for support as the pain of his injuries started to make themselves known again.

" Let us get started then " Haldir said with authority to both his soldiers as well as the citizens of Rivendell. The crowd slowly dispersed the wounded going back to the infirmary with the healers, those searching the debris for anything usable went back to trawling the ruins, and the hunters left for another few hours of gathering. Haldir organised his men, sending the bundles of medical supplies and the healers to the infirmary and settling guards to patrol the valley against intruders. Once his men were in motion the Lorien elf followed the Twins back to the infirmary, taking in the exhaustion that was evident in every step they took. Elladan stumbled and fell as they entered the small dwelling, clinging to Elrohir as his legs buckled beneath him and sending them both crashing to the ground. Haldir quickly stooped to aid the fallen Lords, noting how Elrohir's legs trembled as he slowly regained his feet, and how Elladan's bandages had torn on the edge of a bed, revealing slowly healing burns that would send any other elf to the Halls of Mandos with pain.

" By the Valar, we had no idea it was this bad" The Lorien elf swore as he aided Elladan up to his bed, taking note that Legolas lay in the bed next to the Twins, his eyes closed in a drugged sleep as his body fought the nearly endless battle to heal itself.

" It has been like this for 3 weeks my friend. " Elrohir admitted softly as he seated himself of Elladan's bed, gently touching his twin's face as a healer rebound the elf's tattered bandages. The elder twin finally succumbed to his exhaustion and slipped into a deep sleep, his eyes half lidded and glazed as the pain and strain finally caught up with him.

" Fear not Elrohir, I will do all within my power to help you, you do not bear this burden alone anymore" Haldir said supportingly as he aided the weary twin towards the door, leaving the injured to heal and the able-bodied to slowly work towards getting the valley back in some form of order. The blonde elf noted the funeral pyres that lay blazing and paid his silent respects to the dead as he aided the increasingly fumble-footed Elrohir along towards the sleeping huts.

They crossed the threshold of the darkened hut and he eased Elrohir onto the nearest bed, noting how the dark elf was asleep the moment his head hit the pillow. Haldir gently arranged the twin into a more comfortable position, removing his boots and drawing up the tattered blanket around the elf's neck.

" Rest easy Elrohir, I will watch over the valley tonight" He whispered, before turning and leaving the elf to his slumber. Yes, he would watch over the valley tonight, and every night until the Rivendell elves could manage on their own. They had seen far too much death and destruction to have to toil alone. They needed supposed desperately and he would provide it as long as his body still drew breath.

To be continued.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List