Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Forgotten Heroes  by Nina the powerwriter

On their third day of travel, the two hobbit tweens made their way into the small village near the Sarn Ford. It had been settled on the Ford not even seventy-five years before, making it a very young settlement - at least compared to Bree.

The folk there were Big People, some who broke away from Breeland and others from far off lands who desired to be apart of a free people. They sometimes had trading with hobbits and Bree-folk, but mostly keep to themselves by the Ford.

Griffal and Enola rode side by side into the village. There was a main road with some houses and businesses on either side. Most houses were scattered in the woods near Sarn Ford, all located on the left side. It was almost noon as they rode in. Some folk stared or turned their heads to watch the rare sight of the little people on their fitted ponies. Griffal seemed to not notice the sudden attention. He rode on searching for a store to buy supplies. Enola, however, wondered why so many eyes were on them.

"Griffal, why are these people staring at us?" she asked, fretfully. "Hadn't they ever seen a hobbit before?"

"You have to remember these aren't Bree folk. Well, they use to be, but they rarely get to have a glimpse at us small folk. Why don't you help me look for a store instead of gawking back at everyone?"

Enola frowned, tightening her grip on the pony's reins. She glanced up from side to side trying to ignore the looks. "I see one to our right."

"Oh good!" Griffal hopped off his pony and up to the small store. Enola was right behind him. "Wait out here with the ponies. I'll go in for our supplies."

"You're leaving me alone out here?!" Enola said in horror.

Griff rolled his eyes. "You'll be all right. No one will harm you."

Before Enola could retort, he'd ducked into the store. Enola huddled between the two ponies, trying desperately to make herself smaller than she already was. Even though the Wise Acres had lived in Chetwood for most of En and Griffal's childhood, Big People still made Enola nervous especially ones from a different town. These Men could be descendants of the Ruffians who took over the Shire - mused Enola. The thought did not comfort her any more.

Meanwhile, Griffal was having no problem being among the Big People. He scanned the shelves of the store for preserved goods for their long trek to Isengard.

"May I help you, boy?"

Griffal looked up to see a Man, slender but scraggly, looking down at him.

"Yes, sir. I'm in need of preserved goods for a long journey."

The Storeowner raised an eyebrow. "Long journey, ah? Where would a young lad like you be going?"

"My sister and I have traveled from the Shire. We're on a journey to the South."

There was a pause of silence. The Storeowner looked about puzzled so Griffal raised a foot to show him. Finally reckoning dawned on the Man's face. "Oh, you're one of the Little People. I've only seen your kind once in my life when I was a boy. You can pay right?"

"For the most part, yes."

The Storeowner grinned. "Here, the preserved goods are this way."

Griffal appeared out of the store twenty minutes later with a sack full of goods. "Thank you, sir!" He waved to the Storeowner. He found Enola hiding conspicuously behind their ponies. Griffal peeked between them. "Hullo, dear sister! I thought the ponies had swallowed you."

Enola squeezed her way out. "You took forever! Did the Storeowner give you problems?"

"Actually," Griffal began to pack the goods in their ponies' packs. ", he was a kind man who helped me gather what we needed. You need to trust Men a little. What will happen when we get to Gondor?"

Enola grabbed some packets from the sack and stuffed them in her saddlebag. "I think I'll be more incline to trust Men of Gondor, because they are noble and worthy to trust."

Griffal stopped for a moment to stare at her. "You have a lesson coming to you about the way you treat people. I can see a little bit of Mother in you."

"Please, don't insult me! When the time comes for a lesson, if there will ever be one, I'll learn it then."

"Suit yourself. Are you ready to leave?"

"Yes!"

They saddled their ponies and were off again.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List