Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Two Hands  by Nina the powerwriter

In which Sam doesn't get his way

My mind was racing just as fast as my heart was the day of Mosco Burrows' party. I had put it off all week to ask Rosie to the party. Now it was an hour before, and I still hadn't gotten the courage to ask her! Wiping sweaty palms on my pants, I took a deep breath and starting up the path to the Cotton Farm.

I HAD to do this. I knew Rosie felt the same way I did. She had to!

I was rounding the path that went straight to the Cotton's porch when I stopped dead in my tracks. I could of sank into the ground if I had the means to. Dowd Grubbs was at the Cotton's door talking to Rosie in the doorway. She was smiling and nodding her head then slipped back inside only to emerge with a shawl around her shoulders.

I watched the whole thing until they started heading up the path toward me. I ran quickly back to the road, not wanting to be seen. She left with another lad. I couldn't believe it. Maybe I was too late in asking. Oh, but I wasn't sure. All I knew was I was upset and the party was the least place I wanted to be right now. I started for Bag Shot Row.

I was almost to my Gaffer's hole when someone called me. I really didn't want to be around anyone, but couldn't ignore who was calling me.

"Sam, why aren't you at the party with Rosie already?"

I frowned at Mr. Frodo. "I was too late, Mr. Frodo. I saw her going with Dowd Grubbs."

"Did she want to go with him?"

"I don't know. She was smiling when she was talking to him."

Mr. Frodo 'hmmed' then rubbed his chin with his fingers. He seemed to be thinking deep, and I was waiting anxiously to see what he had to say. "Just because she let him escort her to the party doesn't mean her feelings for you aren't the same. Maybe she was just being pleasant toward Dowd Grubbs."

"Maybe you're right."

"Let's say we go to the party together. You can ask Rosie to dance and she'll see you're interested."

I didn't want to go, but Mr. Frodo convinced me and we left together to the party field down the Hill. We were there about ten minutes when I saw Rosie walk up on Dowd Grubbs' arm then started dancing with him. I lowered my head and sulked in my ale.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List