Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Jewels of his Existence  by Orophins Dottir

Chapter 3 - Elessar the King

Arwen had found this small chamber. It rested directly below the main chamber of the library and was not in frequent use now. She never met anyone here.

Here she came to hide from what she could not face.

Here she sought the courage to act and found it not.

Here she had wept at the first news of Legolas.

Here she had entreated Ilúvatar for her childhood friend.

Here she had despaired at Legolas' recovery and still could not face what she must do.

Here she had hidden from her husband and his world.

Here she heard the scream of Haldir’s rage enter the open window and knew its cause.

Here she had looked at the courtyard below and seen Rúmil’s cloaked figure mount upon Arod.

Here she had remembered Rúmil’s childhood laughter and watched him ride swiftly away and never look back.

Here Arwen wept and wished for the arms of her father.

*****

"He is bleeding again." Gimli growled the words in hatred, hatred against the one who had done this to his friend. "Those wounds are more than three weeks back, Haldir, and they are now bleeding as on the first day, or worse!"

Cursing, Gimli still handed fresh linen cloths to Haldir who gently washed the blood from Legolas’ wounds.

What had been better, now bled anew. The burned flesh was as the first day, and the stench of it filled the nose of the dwarf as he spread the herbal compresses with fingers that had learned to be gentle these last weeks. In Gimli’s voice was the agony of not understanding.

"Elves heal quickly. He has always boasted of this with laughter. I pretended I grew angry at him over the words. Now, I would give my life if they were true. Haldir, why does he not heal? You say that even the bones that had begun to knit are again asunder. He cannot bear this forever. The pain is too much. There is less and less relief from it. His strength fades each day. Haldir, what is happening?"

"I do not know yet, Gimli. My fingers reach for the reason, and I feel that they are nearer. Yet now, there is still darkness. Now, I must ever treat wounds that should be healing as if they were new. I am afraid, Master Dwarf, as are you. We have no time for this fear. We must continue this fight to save him."

Haldir looked into the eyes of the dwarf who had ever been an enemy of his people. A dwarf as those of Doriath and its fall. "We must fight who love him best."

Haldir’s face was hard, a face of a captain of elven warriors who knew death in all its guises and yet had chosen to become a healer and seek life. Silently, the elf who served Celeborn of Doriath gave a basin to the dwarf Gimli and lifted Legolas and turned him, so that he might vomit the blood that was gathering in his newly pierced lungs.

*****

"I would speak to Legolas alone, and you keep me from it. Who has given this power to you, Haldir o Lórien?"

"Lórien is no more, Aragorn. The Lady is gone, and my Lord abides there no longer. I am Haldir of Ithilien, if I have any home at all. The mellyrn are a memory only to me."

"I am the king here. I would be with Legolas alone."

"You are not our king. I serve Lord Celeborn only. Legolas is the son of Thranduil of the Woodland Realm. You have no authority over us, and well you know it. You will demand nothing of us, and you will still your voice in these chambers, or you will leave them."

Haldir looked towards the bed where Legolas lay. He had drugged the prince’s wine against his pain, and so Legolas slept heavily. Haldir could still hear the rasping of pain, and the liquid filling the lungs. Soon, he must again drain them.

"You reside within my castle. You owe me something."

"We reside within your castle because one of your subjects saw fit to try and kill the son of King Thranduil. The laws of hospitality demand that you shelter us. The laws of justice demand that, if Legolas die, you make atonement to his father in whatever way he chooses. Thranduil could demand Eldarion in payment and take not your wergeld. You could lose a son as he may lose his own. Speak not to me of your rights, King Elessar. You have none."

"I would speak to Legolas. If not alone, then before you."

"Would you, King Elessar?" Haldir wiped his bloody hands on the clean linen towel and glanced down at the tortured body he tended. "King Elessar would speak to Prince Legolas." He laughed harshly.

"Are you a better healer than I, King Elessar? Can you empty these lungs of blood, so that my prince may attend to your needs? Can you quiet the tortured pain long enough for him to think? We await your healing, King Elessar. You would speak with my prince. Pray, tell me how?"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List