Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

A few days later, Legolas was feeling better and begged Elrond to let him onto the archery field. The Elf was dying to find out if he still had his usual expertise with the bow, and Elrond reluctantly agreed.

"Do not expect your aim to be perfect," Elrond warned him. "Your injury is not a fast-healing one."

"I know," Legolas said, walking beside him. They kept the pace very slow, as this was the longest walk that Legolas had taken. He limped on his right leg and his body was still very weak, so Aragorn walked close beside him, ready to quickly grab him if he should falter.

That moment came seconds later, when Aragorn noticed Legolas' heavy breathing and increased paleness. "Let me help you, mellon-nin, or you will be incapacitated by the time we get there."

Legolas shot him a look, one that said, 'I don't need help'.

Aragorn sighed inwardly, and without warning, grabbed the Elf by his waist and hefted him over his shoulder.

Legolas gasped at the unexpected feel of a shoulder in his stomach. "Put me down!"

"You need to save your strength or you will be unable to shoot, Little Legolas!" said Aragorn, picking up his pace.

Elrond chuckled at the expression on Legolas' face as the irked Elf looked at him over Aragorn's shoulder. He could hear Legolas' thoughts as if the younger Elf were saying the words aloud; Why did you have to tell him that nickname?

When they reached the designated spot, Aragorn set Legolas down gently, making sure his friend's weak leg supported him before letting go.

Looking towards the target, Legolas surveyed the surroundings before getting into an archer's stance. He realized with dismay that it was difficult; when an archer was right-handed, the right leg naturally was the one in back, holding most of his weight. There was no possible way that Legolas could stand that way; his weak right leg would never allow it. He'd have no choice but to shift his weight forward, onto his left leg instead.

Sighing, he carefully placed his weight onto his right leg, to see how much that it could stand.

Aragorn and Elrond both reached out for him when his knee buckled, but Legolas shook his head at them. "Testing it."

The two of them withdrew their arms, but stayed close to him, just in case.

Placing his left leg in front of his right one, he tried to stabilize his unsteady stance before reaching for an arrow from his quiver. His arm didn't like the motion, and he awkwardly notched the arrow to the string and pulled it back, wincing when his arm wasn't strong enough to draw the arrow fully. He watched in utter disbelief as the arrow flew wild and fell short, nowhere near the target. The situation was incomprehensible; before this terrible situation, he hadn't missed a target in thousands of years!

Legolas felt his legs grow weak, suddenly unable to support his weight.

Aragorn and Elrond rushed over when the Elf slumped to a sitting position on the ground. The Elf let the bow limply fall to the grass, and he dropped his face into his hand.

Aragorn shot Elrond a sad look as he knelt beside his friend, putting an arm around his shoulders in comfort.

Elrond sighed, having expected Legolas' first shot to fall short. Kneeling on the other side of the distraught Elf, he placed a hand on his arm. "Do not despair, Legolas, you will fully regain your skill."

"When?" Legolas irrationally asked, sounding upset.

Elrond naturally had no definite answer for his question, but he understood the younger Elf's feelings. "Soon."

"You've come so far, mellon-nin," Aragorn said, gently. "Do not give up now."

Legolas gave a deep sigh, lowering his hand. He looked up at the target, which inwardly beckoned to him. "You are right," he said, reaching for his bow.

Aragorn grabbed it, and helped Legolas when he started to stand.

Taking the bow from his friend, Legolas again attempted his unstable stance, before grabbing another arrow and letting it fly.

This one was closer to the target, but it still fell short, as Legolas' arm had not the strength to make it fly far enough.

"That was better!" Elrond said to him, smiling. "When you have fully regained your strength, you will once again be able to shoot with confidence."

Legolas was uplifted by those words and his improved shot, and he smiled slightly, nodding.

Aragorn noticed when Legolas let his right arm hang limply, and knew that the Elf's body was protesting the exercise. "Mayhap we should try again tomorrow."

Legolas looked ready to protest, but he knew the importance of not pushing himself so soon. Nodding slightly, he slung the bow over his shoulder. "I think that I would like something to eat," he said, knowing that such a statement would please the other two. "Mayhap I will tell you a story of my youth, Estel."

Elrond chuckled, as they made their way back. "One of Rivendell's 'legends'?"

Legolas looked at him with a sparkle in his eyes for the first time in weeks. "Of course, what better story then one of those?"

 

********************

Late that night, while the house of Elrond slept, Legolas lay awake. His weak arm and leg were paining him, preventing him from sleep. He'd tried different positions in the bed, but found none that lessened his pain.

Sighing, Legolas placed his good arm over his eyes. He'd begun to feel better about things today, after the shock over his horrible archery attempt had worn off. Elrond and Aragorn were right; he would regain his status as expert archer; it would just take a little time…but the pain he currently felt filled him with dejection. Is this what lies in store for me every night after I practice? I only fired two arrows!

Sighing again, Legolas shifted his position for the hundredth time, carefully swinging his weak leg over as he turned onto his stomach. It proved to be a bad idea.

A sudden cramp attacked his leg, and he couldn't hold back a surprised gasp.

Trying to turn over again, the pain was too great, and he had no choice but to drag himself out of the bed, desperate to stretch the cramp out of the muscle.

Reaching towards the nightstand, Legolas hoped to ease the pain by standing, but putting weight on his leg only made it hurt worse, and he accidentally knocked over a glass that he'd forgotten was on the nightstand.

Aragorn bolted upright at the sound of something shattering. Before he was even fully awake, he was out of his bed and running for the door, which he left open at night in case Legolas needed him. The Elf's room was directly across from his and he quickly ran in, immediately seeing Legolas sitting on the floor, gripping his leg.

"What happened?" he asked, quickly kneeling beside him, avoiding the pieces of glass illuminated by the bright moonlight streaming into the room.

"A cramp," Legolas gasped, feeling stupid to have woken his friend.

Elrond suddenly burst into the room, having heard the glass break thanks to his Elven ears. "Legolas?"

"He has a cramp in his weak leg," Aragorn said, pulling his wincing friend to his feet.

Elrond took his other arm, carefully helping him back onto the bed.

"Forgive me for waking you," Legolas said, sighing heavily.

"Hush," Elrond said, waving away the apology. "Where is the pain?"

Legolas told him, and the skilled Healer carefully massaged the muscles in his lower leg.

Legolas couldn't hold back further winces, and Aragorn, knowing what his father was about to ask him for, suddenly left the room.

The two Elves said nothing to one another, as Elrond continued his attempt at banishing the pain. A few minutes later, Aragorn came back, holding a cup.

Legolas reached out for it, quickly drinking it and handing the cup back to him. "Hannon le," he whispered, closing his eyes as he waited for the painkiller to take effect.

Aragorn started to put the cup on the nightstand, but changed his mind, instead kneeling to clean the broken glass off the floor.

Elrond felt Legolas' muscles relax as the drug took effect…an herb that didn't only lessen pain. "He fell asleep quickly, Estel. How much did you use?"

"Enough," Aragorn replied, standing with the cup, which was now filled with the broken glass.

Elrond nodded his approval, ceasing his massage and hoping that he'd done an adequate job. "He shall sleep through the rest of the night…at least."

Aragorn nodded as he drew the covers over his sleeping friend. "I hope something like this doesn't happen again. He's had enough pain to deal with."

Elrond nodded, as they headed towards the door.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List