Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

Aragorn sighed in relief at the sight of his father's house. He'd ridden hard, and definitely made record time to the silent forest and back.

Leaping off the horse, he ran into the house as fast as his legs could carry him. Seeing the door that lead to Legolas' room, he couldn't help but wonder if the Elf was still alive…

Bursting into the room, he found his father sitting on the side of the bed, holding Legolas to his chest as he tried to make him drink something.

"Estel!" Elrond called, not showing his surprise and relief that Aragorn had managed to return so quickly. "Make him drink this. He wakes already; the toxin is terribly resistant to drugs."

Aragorn ran over and placed the jar of sap on the nightstand, grabbing the shaking Elf by the arms so his father could get off the bed. Sitting down, Aragorn held Legolas up and put the cup to his lips.

Legolas kept his eyes tightly closed as he obediently drank.

Aragorn's heart beat wildly in his chest; in relief at finding his friend still alive, and yet in fear to see that the Elf still suffered so badly. "I am back, mellon nin,” he said. “I brought some of the sap so my father can make an antidote.”

Legolas made no reply, eyes still tightly closed as he breathed heavily.

“Legolas?” Aragorn said, "Can you hear me?"

The Elf said nothing, eyes still closed.

Sighing, Aragorn gently laid his friend back down, placing a comforting hand on his arm. He realized that his father and the jar were gone, probably having taken it to his herb closet, where he’d have better access to whatever else he needed.

Looking back down at his friend, Aragorn was surprised to see his eyes slightly open. "Is the pain any better?" he asked.

Legolas sighed. "Somewhat."

Aragorn smiled, wondering what Elrond had given him that time.

Blinking weakly, Legolas whispered, "I did not hear you."

Frowning, Aragorn was about to tell him he hadn't said anything, until he realized what the Elf meant. "The toxic sap. I retrieved some for my father, so he can make an antidote."

Legolas was greatly relieved to hear that. "Good…" he said, his eyes drifting shut again.

Realizing that the drug had put his friend to sleep, Aragorn slid off the bed and sat in the chair. Sighing, he ran a hand through his unruly hair, his body starting to calm down from the wild ride—literally—to the silent forest and back. Closing his eyes, he decided to rest for a minute…

A sudden noise made him open his eyes, and he saw Elrond leaning over the bed. "Father?"

Elrond looked at him, apologetically. "I did not mean to wake you."

Blinking his eyes, Aragorn frowned. "I fell asleep?"

Elrond nodded, straightening up. "It has been a few hours. I came to find out Legolas' condition."

Aragorn sighed. "Your drug knocked him out a few minutes after you left. I don't believe he has stirred since, or I would've heard."

Elrond nodded. "If he wakes, call me."

Aragorn stood as his father walked towards the door. "How are you faring with the antidote?"

Elrond stopped, but didn't turn immediately.

Aragorn knew what that meant, and walked in front of him. "Father?"

"I have not finished," Elrond said, choosing his words carefully.

"Are you making progress?" Aragorn asked. "Are you confident that you will be able to cure him?"

"I will do everything in my power, Estel," Elrond told him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Aragorn suddenly noticed the fatigue that his father was trying to hide. It was known that Elves do not tire easily and can function with little sleep, but the human suddenly realized that Elrond had likely gotten no sleep at all in the past few days.

The Elf knew what he was thinking. "I am fine, ion nin."

Aragorn shook his head. "You have not slept since the day we arrived!" It was a statement, not a question.

Elrond nodded. "Yes, and I shall not until I find the cure that will save Legolas."

The cure that will save Legolas…The words sent a chill down Aragorn’s spine. "Then you believe the toxin is deadly?"

Elrond sighed. "That is a difficult question to answer, Estel, since I have not had any experience with it before now." He looked towards Legolas, who was still motionless. "I believe that if he were human, it might have proven deadly by now." He suddenly looked at Aragorn again. "You did not touch the sap at all?"

Aragorn could hear the fear in his voice, and quickly shook his head.

Elrond smiled with relief, patting his shoulder. "I shall return," he said, leaving the room.

Aragorn nodded, sighing as he leaned against the wall. Looking towards his friend, he couldn’t stop the feeling of fear that welled within him. Legolas is an Elf, immortal! he thought. He can’t die like this…

Too nervous to stand still, he started to pace. With his state of mind, he wasn’t able to accurately determine the passage of time, so he had no idea how long he’d been pacing when he saw something out of the corner of his eye.

Legolas’ body had twitched.

Stopping, Aragorn watched his friend, wondering if he’d imagined it, but a few seconds later it happened again.

Concerned, he rushed over to his friend, gasping in shock to see how much paler the Elf had suddenly become. Legolas' skin was whiter than Aragorn had ever seen, allowing him to suddenly notice the light purple discoloration on his friend’s forehead. There was only one thing that could mean.

Legolas was bleeding internally.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List