Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Sound of Silence  by Deana

Hey everyone! As I washed dishes today, *grumble* I thought up a silly song that I'd like to share with you, LOL! It's really goofy, but I thought you might get a chuckle out of it:

*Looks at Legolas toys wistfully*

Twinkle, twinkle, handsome Elf…

Sitting right here on my shelf.

How your kiss would make me feel…

Oh, if only you were real!

Twinkle, twinkle, handsome Elf…

Sitting right here on my shelf.

LOLOL! Before you call the loony bin on me, keep in mind that if you do that, you won't be able to read more of my story! LOL ;)

 

Morning found Elrond and Aragorn sitting beside Legolas' bed. The Elf was still out cold, and they had no way of knowing whether it was a result of the drug or not.

Aragorn hadn't spoken for at least an hour, searching his friend for any sign of consciousness. When he finally saw one, it was so sudden that he didn't expect it.

Elrond rose when he saw Legolas' face twitch, and he bent over the Elf, laying a hand on his head. "Legolas? Please wake!"

Aragorn stood on the other side, and he gently took his friend's hand. "Open your eyes, Legolas!"

The voices got through to the Elf, even with his pain. He was too groggy to understand the pleas, however, and so he didn't obey them.

Elrond was more patient than Aragorn was, and he held out a hand to the human as if to tell him to be quiet. Legolas needed to hear a calm voice, not an anxious one. "Legolas," he said, as the Elf shifted restlessly. "Please open your eyes."

Legolas finally understood the words he was hearing, and remembered what had happened. We made it to Rivendell?

Elrond smiled and Aragorn sighed in relief when he finally looked at them.

Legolas blinked blearily, seeming disoriented. He felt like he was floating, and knew that it was a result of Elrond's medicine.

"Enjoy your nap?" he heard.

Slowly turning his head, Legolas gave Aragorn a weak smile. He suddenly realized that his friend was holding his hand, and he tried to give a reassuring squeeze, but it lacked strength.

Aragorn felt the feeble attempt, and though it hurt to see how weak the Elf had become, he forced himself to keep the smile on his face. "How's the pain?"

Legolas blinked again; moving his head had made him dizzy. "Terrible, but more bearable," he whispered.

Elrond and Aragorn were glad to hear that the pain wasn't as bad, but the elder Elf was upset at the word 'terrible'.

"Rest," Elrond told him. "Keep still. I will see what I can do to lessen it further."

"Hannon le," Legolas said, closing his eyes again.

Elrond gave the younger Elf a fatherly pat on the arm. "See if you can get him to eat," he told Aragorn.

Aragorn nodded, grabbing a pitcher on the nightstand and filling a cup with water.

Leaving the room, Elrond headed to the closet where he kept his main supply of healing herbs. Gathering as many as he could, he set them all on a table to see exactly what he had. He only had time to read a few of them before he suddenly heard his son yell.

"FATHER!"

Elrond was startled, and nearly stumbled in his haste to run back into the hall, as Aragorn ran towards him. The human said nothing, grabbing Elrond's arm and running back down the hall.

Elrond felt a chill go down his spine at the sound of gasps and cries of pain as they neared the Elf's room.

Bursting in the door, they ran to the bed, where Legolas was clutching his head again, shaking in pure agony. They were both shocked and heartbroken at the sight of tears slipping down his pale cheeks.

Rushing towards the table of herbs that were already in the room, Elrond saw that he had no choice but to render the suffering Elf unconscious. As he mixed the medicine, his hands shook—something that didn't happen often. Ai! he thought. To provoke tears from Legolas—of all people—he surly must be suffering the worst pain imaginable!

Elrond tried to shut out the Elf's pained cries, as they tore at his heart. He'd known Legolas since he was a tiny Elfling, and it killed him to know that he couldn't help his pain.

Taking the cup back to the bed, he found Aragorn sitting on it, tightly holding his friend in his arms, desperately trying to offer comfort.

"Legolas," Elrond said, trying to sound calm. "Drink this."

Legolas made no move, still holding his head.

Aragorn took the cup and held it to his friend's lips, but the Elf couldn't drink it; his breathing was too erratic, coming in irregular gasps. "He can't breathe!"

"I think it is caused by his pain," Elrond told him. Seeing that Legolas would choke if he were forced to drink the medicine, he sighed. He couldn't let Legolas continue to suffer, and laid a hand on his chest, trying to instill calm in the Elf. "Legolas, hear me! Open your eyes and look at me."

To their surprise, he did.

"This medicine will make you sleep," Elrond told him, frowning when the Elf only managed to keep his eyes open for a few seconds. "You will be pain-free in slumber. Please, drink it quickly!"

Legolas lowered his arms, his body trembling violently.

Aragorn offered him the cup again, and the Elf gulped it down, choking once as his lungs attempted to take in air while he drank. After finishing, his body slumped limply against his friend.

Taking the cup from Aragorn, Elrond put it down and helped his son lay Legolas back down, pulling the covers up to his chin.

The medicine thankfully took effect quickly, and the Elf's trembling stopped as consciousness left him.

Sighing, Aragorn wiped his friend's tear-stained cheeks with his sleeve. He opened his mouth to say something, but Elrond spoke first.

"If you are about to suggest what I am also thinking, my answer is 'make haste'."

Aragorn looked surprised that his father had apparently read his mind. "To the silent forest to bring back some of the sap, so you can attempt to make an antidote."

Elrond nodded. "Yes, my son. Hurry."

Aragorn stood, but then stopped, looking at his unconscious friend.

"How far were the trees from here?" Elrond asked.

"Without stopping, I can make it in one full day," Aragorn told him.

"Two days total…" Elrond said, with a sigh. "Legolas will likely remain unconscious the entire time. I will never leave his side; you need not worry for him."

Aragorn knew that his father would keep the faithful vigil, but he didn't think that he could obey the command to not worry. Sighing, he looked down at Legolas again, placing a hand on the Elf's arm. "I will return soon, mellon nin," he whispered. Looking back at his father, his voice cracked as he said, "Keep him alive…"

Elrond nodded, taking his son's arm before he could leave the room, and pulling him into an embrace. "Everything will be all right," he said. "Once I have the sap, I am confident that I can make an antidote and Legolas will be well again."

Aragorn hugged his father back, knowing that it was also possible that Legolas could be too far gone for an antidote to work, or Elrond could even fail in his attempt…

"I shall ride as fast as I can," he said, letting go of his father and running towards the door.

"Be safe!" Elrond called after him. As the sound of his footsteps vanished, Elrond sighed, looking at the younger Elf. "Stay with us, Legolas…" he whispered.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List