Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changing Nappies  by paranoidangel

Elrond looked down at Estel who was smiling up at him as if he was proud of what he had done. Elrond though was not impressed and was seriously doubting his sense of smell would ever recover from the experience. He turned his gaze away from his foster son long enough to bundle up the dirty nappy and held it as far away from him as he could. With the nappy in one hand he pinched his nose with the other; not that it made much difference - he could still smell it.

He got up and left the nappy outside the door which he firmly shut and returned to the room to open a window. He would have opened every window in the house if it helped to alleviate the smell but he didn't want Estel to get cold.

Returning to the sheet he had left Estel on he found it conspicuously empty. Elrond sighed. Estel he was sure was watching him and thinking it was a great game. He was thankful he had remembered to clean Estel up before he had been overcome by the smell. How was it possible that such a small being could make so much mess? Elladan and Elrohir had attempted the same feat the previous day and Elrond had resolved not to repeat their mistakes. Apparently, he hadn't learnt the lesson very well.

He summoned up his 'stern parent and generally annoyed elven lord' voice: "Estel!"

A little head came into view from behind a chair.

"I think," Elrond said to him, "that you are old enough not to have to wear nappies."

Estel laughed and clapped his hands at Elrond's announcement. Retrieving the chamber pot he set it on the sheet and waited for Estel's curiosity at his actions to bring him over. It did not take long before Estel had come out from behind the chair far enough for Elrond to pick him up and sit him on the pot. The pot, however, was too big and he did not have another; so he sat Estel in it instead.

"Stay there," he told him and left to deal with the soiled nappy. It took longer than he expected to find someone to wash it for him. He was determined that he was not going to have to do this a second time.

When he returned he was pleased to find Estel where he left him. He was learning something at least. Elrond gave him a smile and told him how good he was being. Estel smiled back and lifted his arms, asking to be picked up. Elrond indulged him and immediately regretted it. Not only was Estel wet once more, but now Elrond was too and the floor was rapidly going the same way. Elrond decided that perhaps the nappies were not as bad as he first thought and that Estel's mother would be a far better person to deal with toilet training Estel.

*******

Inspired by a discussion of Elrond, and his possible nappy changing abilities.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List