Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Revenge of the Wood-Elf (Telerius galadh)  by Orophins Dottir

Author's Note:  Thanks again to Bryn for the loan of her SRDME and original characters.  So sorry I killed off most of them!
___________

Epilogue:  Esgaroth-upon-Mirkwood, Middle Earth

Quarterly Report of the Board of Directors
Scientific Research Department of Middle Earth

It is with the deepest regret and sorrow that the Board of Directors and the Scientific Research Department of Middle Earth announce to the scholarly community and our members the seeming mass murder of the renowned research team which conducted the still somewhat controversial, but we believe scientifically valid, dissection of Telerius galadh. It was headed by the esteemed researcher JV, who is survived by three former wives.

Our Linguistics Department continues to try to decipher the parchment found with the neatly stacked bodies at the last known campsite of the team. References to "Dwimmerlaik," "udűn" and "Ilúvatar" as well as others are proving problematic.

With deep regret, we announce that LH, the esteemed head of our Development Department, has apparently disappeared. He had been suffering from depression as we understand, and the police do not at present suspect foul play. They will, of course, continue to investigate in light of the strange arrow found lodged in the wall above LH’s desk chair.

The arrow does not seem to belong to the equipment of our own renowned Archery Team, so the police consider it somewhat significant.

Also, there appears to be an inscription on this arrow in what our Linguistics Department describes as a "cirth" alphabet, but it is not of a recognized language. Research to decipher the cirth will continue. However, we have been reassured by the police that luminol has revealed no traces of blood in the office.

In the midst of our sorrow, we are pleased to also announce that the researcher BW, who was originally feared lost with the team, has apparently merely relocated upon her marriage to a renowned New Zealand historian named Gilúviel Zippy.

We understand Mr. Zippy is the definitive writer on the subject of the battle for and the fall of Wellington, and our History Department is endeavoring to contact him for a possible lecture series. ("Zippy" is apparently a Maori name as our Linguistics Department informs us, but they are unsure as to the etymology of "Gilúviel".)

We received BW’s resignation letter from New Zealand only in the last week when it was found carelessly dropped on the lawn in front of our building. It had seemingly been delayed in the mail due to lack of postage.

There were a lot of what appeared to be what our Ornithology Department describes as eagle claw marks on the envelope, but fortunately our address was still legible. A complaint has been lodged with the postal authorities.

BW also informs us that her former team member BP has accepted a position with a firm of coopers in Lake-Town, which we must assume is also in New Zealand. They have a lucrative contract with the local landowner and are considering at least a small grant to the SRDME.

We regret the loss of these valued colleagues and wish them well in their future endeavors.

Position announcements for all vacancies will soon be posted in the Human Resources Department. SRDME is an equal employment opportunity workplace and encourages inter-species applications.

The date of the non-denominational memorial service for the dissection team will be announced in our scholarly bulletin as appropriate and in cooperation with the police. Floral tributes will be accepted at that time.

Please address all research inquiries to:

The Scientific Research Department of Middle-Earth
Department of Common Wood-Elf Studies
2460 Thranduil Lane
Esgaroth-upon-Mirkwood, Middle-Earth, 30216.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List