Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Revenge of the Wood-Elf (Telerius galadh)  by Orophins Dottir

Chapter 10 - Taur-E-Ndaedelos

"Legolas, I like it not that we have brought these maidens into danger." Haldir looked worried as he glanced over to the path that led to the distant camp site.

"Haldir, do yourself a favor and don’t let Éowyn hear you make a remark like that. You don’t want to upset a shieldmaiden."

I am amazed. The next time someone writes that I am as impatient as my father, I hope that author bears in mind that I have yet to kill Haldir or either of his brothers in this story. Thranduil would have dispatched at least Orophin by the end of day one.

"Besides, they’re perfectly safe, Haldir. Aragorn, Gimli and your brothers are protecting them."

Hope Tingalen remembers to stick by Aragorn and Gimli, Orophin still tends to be a bit of a problem if he loses sight of Haldir.  That could distract Rúmil.

Legolas snorted quietly. Catch me being that clingy with Thranduil! He’d send me off to round up Smaug to toughen me up. Adar seems to think blond elves have to go that extra mile to prove themselves. He should know I guess.  Look what those Noldor did to him all those years. And, did anyone even give us a ring to use up here? That would have been a friendly gesture considering the neighborhood we live in.

Haldir had no idea really what a shieldmaiden might be, but he trusted Legolas and said no more.

Instead, he resumed his watchful waiting, for the snare had been set and the warrior elves of Taur-E-Ndaedelos waited silently in the shelter of the highest treetops above them and kept watch upon the Company below.

*****

"Why cannot I simply hew them with my sword as soon as they approach?" Éowyn was annoyed. She had never been called subtle, and all this strategic ripping of her bodice and the artistic application of mud to her fair face was passing strange to her.

Tingalen counted to ten mentally. "Listen, I don’t care what Gloria Steinem says, if we want to snare these gits for Legolas, you’re going to have to do the helpless maiden bit. I mean, I know I promised to tag along, but you’re the pretty one after all, so would you stop bitching. You can work out the details about hewing them with swords later with Legolas and Aragorn."

"Who might this Gloria Steinem be, my lady?"

"She was a great shieldmaiden. I’ll explain when this is over."

Éowyn was puzzled, but she had grown to trust Tingalen and to love her as a sister, so she helped her friend rip a thigh-high slit in each of their long white gowns.

Tingalen smiled in satisfaction. "OK, that ought to do it. We don’t want to end up looking like those Mary Sues, do we?"

Éowyn shuddered at her friend’s words and her spirit grew dark, for she had glimpsed these fell creatures as Thranduil’s she-elf warriors had led them down the path to begin the journey to the Grey Havens. The sight of them had filled her soul with a deep foreboding of evil.

*****

In the shadows of the trees not far from the maidens, stood Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and Gimli, son of Glóin. And in their hands they held ready their weapons long proven in battle, Andúril and the mighty battle axe of the khazâd.

In the trees above them, they heard the soft voices of Legolas and Gilúviel, and of Rúmil speaking to his young brother. They heard the nocking of the arrows in the great bows of the Galadhrim.

"Think you the kid will crack, Aragorn?" Gimli was worried about the youngest elf for he knew that Orophin’s suffering had been great at the loss of Haldir and other recent events.

While the young elf thirsted for revenge for his beloved brother’s torment, they knew not if his spirit would yet break and be lost to them.

"He’ll be fine. I heard Legolas describing yet again his dissection to him this afternoon, with all the gory details. The look on the kid’s face was enough to fell an orc without even an arrow. It certainly firmed up my resolve again."

Aragorn’s eyes reflected his cold hatred of the scientists they stalked. They would pay the price for what they had done to Legolas!

For Legolas was unto him now as his brother, and his wrongs had become Aragorn’s own. The scientists would not live out this night.

Gimli grunted and glared out into the night’s darkness. "Foul creatures, come to my axe and taste the anger of a dwarf!"

*****

Together the two maidens awaited the drawing closer of the hapless male researchers. Being scientists, most of them would have never stood a prayer with a dish such as Éowyn, and here she would be lying helpless in their path. They would have no choice but to rescue anyone so fair. They were men.

Tingalen was quite sure none of them would even notice her. Fine by her, though. She had Zip. . .Gilúviel and that was all she needed or wanted, even if he wasn’t famous like his golden brother. Tingalen looked up in the treetops where her beloved perched with the blond.

At Legolas’ signal, she and Éowyn cried out in such distress that the researchers came rushing down the path towards them heedless of all around. Tingalen could smell the testosterone in the air.

She and Éowyn then did artistically faint in the pathway directly in the line of fire from the trees. They had practiced this bit a lot and perfected it.

As soon, as the men drew near to rescue them, the two maidens rolled swiftly beneath the shelter of some strategic bushes and disappeared, hiking the damn white gowns up to their thighs as they ran back through the forest to where Gandalf would be waiting.

Thoroughly confused now, JV and his team members heard the rustle of trees as elven warriors dropped from them gracefully.

The researchers were momentarily paralyzed at the sight of the arrows being nocked into the great bows and then they ran like hell.

They ran right into the loving arms of the enraged King Elessar and the maddened Son of Glóin.

"ELENDIL!" was the last word that the dying researchers heard.

*****

It had not taken them long, twenty minutes tops. The shieldmaiden had had them drooling within seconds of her appearance and totally oblivious to their surroundings. Men could be such fools and were so often weak! Gandalf sighed at this.

Still, all the dead bodies had been neatly carried back to the campsite more than twenty miles from Thranduil’s forest lair. Legolas had suggested the false map coordinates.

Kid’s brilliant. If someone doesn’t kill him again, he’ll go far. At least we have Gimli to keep an eye on him now. Sensible dwarf, Gimli. Gandalf smiled at this odd literary pairing.

Mr. Greyhame would, of course, make concerned inquiries as to why the team had failed to show for its meeting with Mr. Greenleaf. He would be forced to regretfully request the return of the treasure as the terms of the grant had been abrogated.

Very neat. Gandalf liked tidiness in everything, despite the usual condition of his robes.

Now, where has Legolas gotten to with that one survivor? That doctor who’d headed the dissection team. JV was it? Most unpleasant chap.

Well, Legolas is a capable elf, and his Fellowhip will aid him no doubt. Best not to ask what that special fate was that Legolas had mentioned for the one who actually sliced him open. Some things even an Istar is not meant to know.

Ah, I should give Thranduil a report of our success. He will be pleased. I think I shall suggest a bottle of his finest wine just might be in order.

Gandalf walked up the pathway to where he had left Shadowfax waiting. He found himself whistling a bit of Bilbo’s walking song.

____________

Author's Note:

Taur E-Ndaedelos: Sindarin for "Forest of Great Fear", also known as Mirkwood, the Wood, the Great Wood, Eryn Lasgalen (Sindarin for "Wood of Green Leaves") and, originally, Greenwood the Great.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List