Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Revenge of the Wood-Elf (Telerius galadh)  by Orophins Dottir

Chapter 1 - Lothlórien

"Celeborn!" He looked up, and his senses were immediately alert, for he heard in his lady’s voice her need for him to aid her, and he moved to her side as he had ever done through all the long centuries of their lives.

Galadriel stood tall and beautiful and handed the parchment she had been reading to her husband, nay, her life, for Celeborn had long been that and more.

As her Lord took it from her hand, she felt his strong arm encircle her waist, and she was comforted. She watched his loved face as he read and saw the darkening of his clear eyes and knew that he would never fail her

"Galadriel! How can this be? Our noble Haldir saw I but four weeks ago as I journeyed on the North Border of our realm. He guarded our people’s safety as ever with his quiet courage. And his young brethern saw I with him. I scarce can believe this report from Rúmil that Orophin has brought us in such haste."

"I fear it is true, my love, for, e’er I sent Orophin to his rest, I read the deep troubles of his young heart and how with Rúmil he tracked their brother, as together they mourned their loss and vowed to take no rest until they found Haldir or slew those who had harmed him. Rúmil still watches where the track of Haldir ended, but he knows his peril among these savages and wisely sends the news to us in case he should fall in battle." Her face reflected infinite sadness, for she had long held these three of her Galadhrim in her motherly affection. "Celeborn, my heart feels a shadow grow upon it as I read of the belly of the great silver beast into which these young brothers saw Haldir carried and how it took wing into the air as if some fell mount of the Nazgûl had returned from the Void."

Tender was the embrace of her husband and from his voice she felt her courage reborn. "Then we shall fight as of old, my Lady, and against us they shall fall yet again." She leaned her golden head against his chest and her voice was soft.

"There is more that I must tell you, husband, for in the watches of the night, I grew troubled in my mind. I wished not to disturb your slumber for your burden has been heavy of late, and so I slipped from your bed and went to converse with the night. There in the glade I felt myself drawn to look into the Mirror."

He held her closer as she trembled. "The horror that I saw there was almost beyond my strength, and in my heart I knew somehow that it was real I saw unspeakable horrors done upon the son of Thranduil, and felt his fear beaten by his great courage as he endured the torment of his body and kept yet his noble spirit free. He is dead, my Lord, and even that was not enough for their bloodlust, for they then defiled his fair body in ways I cannot speak, until Legolas’ courage smote them, and he reclaimed his ravaged body from them and bore it with him to Mandos. For I sought the mind of Thranduil, and he has confirmed all. I have pledged to him our aid."

"You speak ever for me in this for our hearts are as one. Let your courage not fail you, my lady, and speak all that you must tell me for I would not let you bear this burden alone." Celeborn held her then as she spoke of seeing in the mists a fell place called New Zealand and how there Haldir, the gallant warrior of the Galadhrim, was beset on all sides by foul creatures and yet ever fought to return to the duty he owed his Lord and Lady.

Then, as a mother mourning her child, she spoke of their young warrior who had pledged his life to Celeborn and in his service had been thrown by these evil creatures to the fury of the Uruk-Hai. And she spoke of one she named the Abomination who seemed in the Mirror to be their king, for all listened to his words and it was at his behest that the Galadhrim lost one of its children.

And she spoke of his foul pleasure in his deed even as Haldir lay dying at his feet and how he had let none give aid or comfort to this son of the Galdhrim. And the voice of Galadriel was soft but terrible as she described the Abomination’s appearance, so that Celeborn might recognize him when they met, for meet they must as she well knew. Her voice dripped with scorn as she described the squat figure the Mirror had revealed to her and the dark locks that curled lankly around his evil face and the strange garb of shortened leggings that he wore and the foul accents of his voice. Celeborn held her as she shuddered at this remembered vileness, and the image he seared into his brain. For Celeborn the Wise knew that he would meet the Abomination even if he must follow him into the Void itself.

"My lord, Haldir killed many e’er he fell, his head cleaved by an Uruk blade, in a strange land and far from his brothers. Even then, did he honor you, for he left not the body of a Galadhrim to be defiled. He too has journeyed to Mandos."

And then Galadriel saw that Celeborn was wroth, and an avenging fire descended upon him, and a mighty oath did he swear that his young kinsman’s blood was upon the land of New Zealand, and he cursed that land and the Abomination forever until the ending of all days.

And Galadriel held him until he grew quiet again, and she heard his voice soft in her ear. "You have a plan?"

"Have I ever failed you in this that you should question me so?" His lips brushed her forehead in a silent benison upon their love. "I have a plan."

And Galadriel was held by Celeborn beneath the shadows of the mellyrn, and together their hearts spoke of the path they would journey together.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List