Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Return From the Void  by Miriel

Return from the Void ~Míriel

Chapter 5 ~The Lords of Insanity

~~~

            Saruman sighed.  “I honestly believe that I am the only sane one around here.” he thought in disgust.  Did Sauron and Melkor seriously think that they could waltz into Gondor, kidnap its prince, and escape undetected?

            And once they had the prince, what did they plan to do?  Simply wander about in the wilderness until King Elessar decided that his son was more important than the fate of the world?

            Although, he had to remember whom he was dealing with here.  This was the same Sauron who had thought that the kingdoms of the West would utterly surrender so they could get back that nasty little Baggins.

            To top it all off, he was a pony.  A pony that was ignored.  A pony that was right now plodding wearily along the road out of Ithilian towards Gondor.

            “You idiot!” Melkor cried in disgust.

            Omar of the Haradrim rolled his eyes.  Saruman agreed heartily with that gesture.  Omar was actually not a bad man, he had decided, simply misguided.  Omar was the captain of the last of the Haradrim who had served Sauron.  He and his two hundred men had decided that they did not like this new ruler of Gondor, and had committed their lives to the cause of winning the White City for themselves.

            During this long plodding, Saruman had decided something: if he ever got the chance, he would cheerfully throw pride out the window and grovel for forgiveness.  Olorin could laugh and point if he wanted, but being turned into a pony had ways of changing people’s hearts.  Unfortunately, he was stuck with these stupid former dark lords.

            “What, my lord Melki?” Omar asked with a heavy sigh.

            “Why did you not tell us of this—monstrosity?”

            Sauron looked at Melkor in disgust.  “It’s the Great River Anduin.  I would hardly call it a monstrosity.”

            Melkor looked at it in disgust.  “Well, another one of your plans foiled, Sauro-, I mean, Salir.” he said hastily at the strange look Omar gave him.  “How did you plan to cross this, this river?

            Sauron rolled his eyes.  “The ferry that crosses the river, my lord?”

            Melkor snorted.  “Do you honestly think that they will let three Haradrim and a fat pony cross?”

            Omar spoke up.  “Milord, all of the Haradrim are now loyal subjects to Gondor, and love the king as their own.  The only ones who do not are my men and I.  I foresee no dilemma in the crossing.”  Omar had ordered his men to meet him in Pelargir; where they would then travel to Harad.

            “Your face is not known in Gondor?” Sauron asked sharply.

            “No, milord.  My men and I have not yet made names for ourselves in Gondor.”  A fierce look came over his face.  “But we shall!  We shall be mighty in Gondor, feared by all in every land, from South Harad to North--” he stopped when he realized that Sauron, Melkor, and even the pony were staring at him.

            “Wonderful.” Saruman thought.  “Two former dark lords, one insane over some lost jewels and the other too stupid to learn from his mistakes and on top of that, looks like he was fighting with Celebrimbor* and lost; one egomaniac rebel leader, and a pony who can barely walk.  And three-quarters of them think we’re going to take over the world by kidnapping some snot-nosed toddler.  Eru must be at a sore loss for some amusement.”

            “Ferryman!” Melkor called loudly.  Sauron winced.  “I demand that you let us cross now!

            Saruman, Sauron, and Omar gazed at the ferry on the other side of the Anduin.  Unless the ferryman had hearing greater than the elves, there was no way that he could have heard Melkor.

            The three sighed, and simultaneously rolled their eyes.

~~~

            “Hm...I will put this block on top of that one.  Now I shall knock them down.”

            The tower of blocks was merrily knocked to the floor.

            “Hooray!  I have mastered the blocks.  Hm, I’m hungry.  I want to eat some more of the fluffy sweet stuff that we ate yesterday. I hope Daddy eats lunch with us today.  He didn’t yesterday.  Mommy said that he was busy with “things.”  Where’s Mommy?  I haven’t seen her all morning.  Ah, well, let me see...”

            A loud shriek pierced the room; loud enough that it was heard in many other rooms and hallways.  The door to the room flung open, and the lovely Queen of Gondor wafted into the room.

            “Eldarion!  Love, what is amiss?!” she cried in amusement to her son.

            “Carefully now...she shall deeply regret the fact that she has left me alone all morning...”

            The lower lip of Gondor’s prince trembled slightly as he pushed it out.  A single tear dripped down his cheek as he stared mournfully up at his mother.

            She reached down and picked him up; snuggling him to her closely.  He stroked the soft crimson velvet of her dress and smiled.

            “Yes, another victory for Eldarion.  Poor Mommy.  She had no chance!

            “Just wait until Daddy comes back tonight.  I haven’t seen him all day...”

            Queen Arwen kissed the top of Eldarion’s head and set him back on the floor.  He cried in protest, but she merely ruffled his hair and turned to go.   As she did, the crying intensified until the sound of it would be enough to break the heart of any female.  She returned to him, lifted him up, and carried him out of the room to go see the king.  It was his turn to be subject to the wiles of their son.

            Yes, the Kingdom of Gondor was being ruled by a child no more than three years of age.

~~~

*Celebrimbor is the maker of the Elven Rings

Author’s notes:  Although you might be thinking that the thoughts of young Eldarion, the son of Aragorn and Arwen, are a bit mature for one of three years of age, this is not so.  Young children are excellent at manipulating their parents very well; I witness this quite often as a Sunday School teacher to a class of 3 year olds.

The next chapter will continue with the arrival of the Dark Lords in Gondor.

Also, I have long thought that the Haradrim were not truly evil, thus, I have also figured that while most surrendered to and welcomed the King of Gondor; there were some rebels.  Thus, Omar.

Any comments and questions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.  From the many hit counts I recieve, I only have gotten one review.  I promise to check the fiction of anyone who reviews.  (As long as it's not "R" rated.)  Thank you.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List