Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Lady of Bree  by Crystal Gray

The sun was just beginning to rise over the horizon as the sound of soft footsteps fell upon the dew-covered grass near the shores of Eldamar. Golden hues of amber shone upon the clear blue sea as the sun rose high warming the face of one lonely soul standing near the waters edge. The air was still as the sea rushed up onto the sandy shore surrounding the bare feet of the visitor gazing out into the distant sky. The footsteps that fell upon the grass soon came to rest within the sands of Eldamar along side their missing companion. It was Sam. He looked to Frodo’s face while he stood with the sun shining upon his visage as he looked out over the endless sea. Frodo then turned to Sam his face stricken with tears. A deep sigh passed Sam’s lips as the pain within Frodo’s face was felt deep within the pit of his heart. Sam let his staff fall to the ground as he opened his arms. Frodo fell into Sam’s grasp and he pulled him in close. Frodo muffled his cries within Sam’s chest as Sam softly drew his hand along the back of Frodo’s head.

"He’s gone dear Sam." Frodo whispered through his tears. "Gone forever."

Sam tried in vain to hold back his own tears as Frodo cried but they could not stay within any longer. He couldn’t help but remember the smiling face of the kindly old hobbit who taught him his letters. The stories he told to him about the elves and of an adventure that he only dreamed of having at his young age. Now at last he had found his peace in this place of healing. Bilbo’s road had indeed gone on but it had finally come to its end in Eldamar.

Frodo stayed within Sam’s warm embrace for what seemed like an eternity before finally leaving his arms and sitting upon the shore. Sam sat at Frodo’s side as the cool water came in around their feet. All was quiet. No words were spoken but those of the wind. Sam looked to Frodo as he sat silently beside him gazing out over the clear blue sea. The sun shone upon Frodo highlighting the long years that had finally etched their way onto his somber face. A gentle breeze swept through Frodo’s hair caressing his thick curls that had now begun to turn grey. Frodo then took his gaze away from the sky and looked to Sam, his pale blue eyes still wet with tears.

"So many years have passed dear Samwise." Frodo replied softly. "Time has went by so slowly that I never wanted it to end. I just couldn’t seem to imagine the day ever coming when Bilbo would no longer be here with you and I."

"Nor did I." Sam replied. "But he has lived well beyond his years he would have had in the Shire. His healing has ended dear Frodo. As one day so shall ours." Sam spoke quietly.

"Perhaps." Frodo said softly in return. "Someday within the shadows of time."

A deep sigh passed Frodo’s lips as he looked back out over the calm waters. He then stood to his feet and turned to the path that led up from the shore up over the hill to home. Sam reached for his staff and he too rose to his feet taking a moment to brush the sand away from his trousers. Frodo began making his way up the shore towards the path as Sam followed slowly behind. Sam soon came into stride with Frodo walking along his side as they came to the open doors that lead into Elrond’s great hall. Frodo stopped for a moment looking up to the mallorns that rose high into the sky. Their leaves shone brightly in the sunlight as they wavered in the wind. He closed his eyes taking in a deep breath as a gentle breeze passed by. Frodo opened his eyes and looked to Sam who was still standing beside him with a faint smile upon his lips. Frodo too smiled as he placed his hand on Sam’s shoulder.

"I’m so glad you are here with me." Frodo said softly. "You’re all I have left now Samwise."

Sam reached up to his shoulder and placed his hand over Frodo’s as a single tear found it’s way down his face. No words were spoken for no others were needed. Frodo then began his way inside Elrond’s hall where he faded away into the shadows with Sam at his side.

Late that evening a faint knock was heard upon Frodo’s door. When no reply was given the knob began turning slowly and a face peered in through the doorway. It was Sam. Within the room he found Frodo sitting in front of the open window staring out into the moonless night. A fire burned within the fireplace filling the room with a faint warm glow as shadows danced upon the walls. Sam came into the room and slowly closed the door behind him. He walked towards Frodo guiding his footsteps with the aid of his staff. The sound of the wooden staff tapping upon the stone floor echoed out into the silence within the room. Sam came to Frodo’s side and placed his hand on his shoulder. Frodo turned around and looked at Sam, his face wet with tears wept long through the night.

"Hullo." Frodo softly whispered. "How are you dear Sam?" Frodo said drying his eyes.

"I am well Mr. Frodo." Sam said quietly. "But let’s not speak of me. I came to see how you have been fairing since I have not seen you out of your room since this morning."

"As well as can be expected." Frodo replied taking another glance out the open window. "I found myself lost in my memories of Bilbo when you came in. Remembering those many nights when he told me the tales of his adventures with the Drawves when I was just a wee lad. Thinking of the many walks we shared on evenings such as this." Frodo said softly. "But they are all I have now…..the many fond memories and the songs within my heart." Frodo sat quiet for some time looking out to the sky watching as the stars began to litter the sky. One by one they began to shine like small burning embers lighting the darkened night. Frodo then turned to Sam and sighed deeply.

"I feel as though my healing shall never find its end." Frodo replied looking over to the fire as it burned slowly, shining its golden hues upon his face. "I’ve lost so much yet gained so little in return."

Sam was silent. No words could seem to find their way to his lips. He too knew the meaning of loss but Frodo had lost so much more within his long years than Sam had during his lifetime in the Shire. No heart within the whole of Middle Earth ached as much as Frodo’s did now. Sam’s eyes looked to Frodo as the amber glow from the fire shone upon his face. Frodo closed his eyes and took in a deep breath and he opened them again looking back at Sam.

"You are all I have left in this world now dear Sam." Frodo said quietly. Frodo then stood to his feet making his way towards his bed. He pulled back the covers and crawled beneath them, pulling them in close. He leaned over the side of the bed and blew out the candle on the side table. Frodo then laid his head within the soft embrace of his pillow drawing it close to his face with his hands. Sam stood near the open window silently watching Frodo as he drifted away into a peaceful slumber. Hours soon passed and within that time Sam found himself sitting in a chair at the side of Frodo’s bed. He held his hand over Frodo’s gem that hung around his neck thinking of Lily and his dear sweet Rose. All the pain and anguish from the memories of the past had long left Sam’s heart. The pain from this day too would soon be lost but Sam felt as if Frodo could use the gem more now than he had in the years before. Sam’s fingers found their way to the back of his neck where he undid the clasp to the silver chain. He held the necklace in the palm of his hand watching as the fire danced within the clear gem. Sam then stood to his feet and walked towards Frodo, as he lay lost within his peaceful rest. Sam reached down to Frodo and gently pulled back the covers that he had drawn close to his face. Sam placed his hand under Frodo’s head and guided the silver chain around Frodo’s neck fastening the clasp under his hair. Frodo rolled onto his back as Sam pulled his hands away, letting out a gentle sigh. The gem lay upon Frodo’s chest catching the last light of the fire as it faded away into nothing. Sam then took his staff from its resting-place and made his way to the door where he stopped looking back at Frodo once again. Frodo’s hand was now resting upon his chest holding tightly onto the gem. He seemed at peace as a faint smile came to his lips within his sleep. Sam grinned softly and turned back to the door opening it and then closing it again as he left, making his way to his room for the night.

*******

The sun rose with the dawning of a new day, casting its golden rays upon Frodo’s face as he sat on his bed looking out his window. Within his hand he held his gem that Sam had left around his neck while he lay fast asleep. Frodo glanced down at his open palm as the gem caught the sunlight within its facets. He smiled and drew his hands up fastening the silver chain around his neck. The gem fell upon his chest bringing a new peace into his heart that he had not felt in some time since arriving on the shores of Eldamar. Frodo then came down from his bed making his way to his door. He opened it slowly and stood looking to Sam’s closed door. Frodo made his way across the hall and reached up to knock upon the door but his hand fell back. He then drew his hand up to the knob and turned it slowly. The door opened with a soft creak and Frodo peered inside. Sam still lay sleeping on his bed with his covers thrown aside on the floor. Frodo came in quietly and reached down to the floor. He picked up a blanket and went to Sam placing it back upon him. Sam then awoke smiling brightly seeing Frodo standing before him.

"Hullo Frodo." Sam said softly rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "What a surprise to see you here this morning."

"Surprise indeed." Frodo replied with a gentle laugh. "What a surprise I had when I awoke finding my gem around my neck once more."

"It seemed as if you needed it more than I." Sam said sitting up stretching. "It is rightfully yours and I have no need for it any longer Mr. Frodo. All the pain from the past has left my heart as it will one day from yours."

"That it may dear Sam." Frodo replied sitting in a chair next to the bed. He took the gem within his hand and looked into it as if trying to find memories lost among years long past. For some time he gazed at the gem before looking back at Sam.

"I left this behind hoping it would bring you peace after my leaving." Frodo whispered.

"That it did." Sam replied softly. "I found much comfort on many lonely nights holding that gem within my hand. And then Lily came along."

"Lily…" Frodo sighed.

Sam then came down from his bed and stood at Frodo’s side.

"She too found comfort within its embrace Frodo. I gave it to her for I knew you would have wished it come to her if she ever returned."

Frodo let the gem fall from his hand and it came to rest on his chest. He sighed deeply looking out Sam’s window that overlooked the sea.

"I really miss her Sam." Frodo replied softly. "I should have never cast her necklace out into the sea."

"Do not let it trouble you Frodo." Sam said placing his hand on Frodo’s shoulder. "If she would have known how much weight bore on your shoulders while wearing it, she would understand."

Frodo was silent for some time before saying another word. His voice was soft, as though he was speaking to himself.

"I suppose I will never see the ring nor Lily again." Frodo said turning away from the window.

"You may Mr. Frodo." Sam whispered. "Your time will come when you can see her smiling face once again. And when you do you will have found your healing."

As the morning drew into the afternoon a soft knock came upon Sam’s closed door. Sam quietly made his way to the door opening it slowly letting his visitor inside.

"I have come looking for Frodo." Gandalf replied coming into the room. "Bilbo will be laid to rest within the hour and it is time he be at his side, but I can not seem to find him. Is he here with you?"

"That he is." Sam said softly. "He has been with me here since this morning looking out the window. He has not come away since."

Gandalf then came further into the room and made his way to Frodo. He placed his hand on his shoulder but he would not turn away from the window.

"Frodo, it is time." Gandalf replied. "Come now with me and Sam as we lay your uncle to rest."

Gandalf took his hand from Frodo’s shoulder and stood silently behind him. Frodo took in a deep breath and slowly shook his head from side to side. Gandalf turned away and looked to Sam standing near the door. He then walked slowly to the door and past Sam stopping in the hall. He held his hand out before him motioning for Sam to follow.

"What about Frodo?" Sam muttered. "We just can’t leave him here."

"We can and will." Gandalf replied. "The pain is still too near to his heart. He needs his moment alone. He will find his way to us when he is ready. Come now, you shall see."

Sam turned and looked at Frodo as a tear fell from his eye. He took a step towards Frodo but Gandalf came back inside taking Sam by the arm, leading him out into the hall.

"Frodo!" Sam yelled out hoping he would follow, but he never came. Sam’s heart weighed heavy as he thought of Frodo, still sitting before the window, tears streaming down his face. He called out again and his words fell upon Frodo’s ears as he closed his eyes tightly trying to hold back his tears. The pain and remembrances from the past had once again found their way into his heart as he thought of all he had lost. His hands trembled as they rested within his lap until he reached up to his gem grasping it with his hand. Frodo breathed in deeply and opened his eyes as a single tear steamed down his cheek falling to the floor below. A long forgotten peace came over Frodo as his hand strayed from his gem, gently falling onto his chest over his heart as he thought of his dear Uncle Bilbo.

Soft melodies filled the air as Sam and Gandalf made their way to the edge of the golden woods at the eastern edge of Eldamar. There beneath a flowering mallorn lay a silver tomb inscribed with golden elvish ruins. As Sam came near he could see Bilbo lying inside with his hands folded upon his chest. Sam came to the side of the tomb and reached inside placing his hand over Bilbo’s.

"For all you have taught me and brought me to be I thank you." Sam whispered as he drew his hand away. He then looked to Gandalf his face wet with tears. Gandalf put his hand on Sam’s shoulder bringing a smile to his saddened face. Sam looked back to Bilbo as a ray of sunlight broke through the trees, shining its warm glow upon Bilbo’s face. A soft gentle breeze filled the air and all grew silent. Many eyes shifted to the path that led to the woods and Sam’s too soon followed. There standing in the middle of the path was Frodo. Sam came away from Gandalf’s side running to Frodo as he opened his arms welcoming him within his embrace. Sam fell into Frodo’s outstretched arms bringing them both down to the ground where they sat lost within their sorrow. All who had come to bid Bilbo farewell left the woods allowing Sam and Frodo to be alone. As time passed on they left each other’s embrace and stood before Bilbo as he lay at peace within his silver tomb. All was silent within the woods for no words could seem to find their way past Frodo’s lips. He looked to the sky that was now beginning to turn a crimson orange hue as the sun sank down the sky. Many memories passed through his mind and the words of a song long forgotten found their way to his heart once again. He then leaned over Bilbo leaving a gentle kiss upon his brow.

"A star shall shine upon our meeting once again dear Bilbo." Frodo said softly as he drew his lips away from Bilbo’s face. Frodo then looked over at Sam who was drying the tears from his eyes.

"That was beautiful Mr. Frodo." Sam whispered softly.

"Thank you Sam." Frodo said drawing a faint smile to his lips. "Come now, let us go." Frodo replied as he began walking away. "I have bid my farewell."

*******

Many dawns had passed and many evenings fell as Frodo sat within the confines of his room. He was lost within the pages of a story last read when Sam had given it to him thirty years before. The writing had long begun to fade but the memories within the words still held true to the day they were lived. Frodo then came upon the writing of a hand not his own. They were Lily’s words. Her memoirs of the Shire. The memories that he wished he had only been able to share with her before his passing over the sea. So long it had been since he last gazed upon her smiling face and shared song with her before the roaring fire. His hand wandered to his neck searching for her necklace that was no longer there. He closed his eyes as tears came forth releasing his pain from deep within. Frodo drew his hands to his face muffling his cries within them. Indeed he felt as though his need for healing would come to no end. His suffering seemed never ending. Yet he knew one thing. Sam was still with him. Frodo took his hands away from his face and looked out his window to the moonlit sky. Stars danced within the darkness as the moon shimmered upon the leaves of the mallorn near his window. Frodo stood to his feet and made his way from his desk to the open window looking down to the garden below the windowsill. Small golden star-flowers wavered in the soft breeze gently kissing the lilies that grew among them. Bushes filled with crimson red and snow white roses lay sleeping under the light of the crescent moon. A smile came to Frodo’s face. Sam had planted them there after first arriving in Eldamar so he could be reminded of his garden back home at Bag End. But Frodo would notice Sam often lingering within the garden long after its tending just to sit among the flowers that bore the same names of his beloved Rose and Elanor, and of their dear friend Lily. Frodo closed his eyes as the cool night air touched his face. He drew in a breath and soft words echoed into the night. Words from ages long past spoken by Sam after Frodo had pulled him into his boat on the river Anduin.

"I made a promise Mr. Frodo." The soft words replied. "A promise…don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don’t mean to…I don’t mean to."

The words seemed close, even to this day. So close in fact that it seemed as though Sam was uttering them once again at Frodo’s side. Frodo opened his eyes and slowly turned away from the window. His face became wet with tears as he looked into the tear filled eyes of his life long friend who stood at his side.

"Oh, Sam!" Frodo cried out taking Sam into his arms. "It was your voice that I heard and not the memory of the distant past."

"That it was." Sam replied through his tears as Frodo embraced him tightly. "I made a promise long ago not to leave you Mr. Frodo and I could not bare to stay away from you yet another day. Not now when you need me the most."

"That I do." Frodo replied. "These days have been lonely without Bilbo here and you. My only companion has been within the pages of Lily’s story and my own. Memories of old that I can only dream were anew."

"I am here now." Sam said falling back from Frodo’s grasp, placing his hands upon his shoulders. "And I mean not to leave you again. Not now or ever Mr. Frodo."

"It is comforting to know that I shall always have you at my side." Frodo replied softly. "And I thank you for wanting to hold that promise made so long ago until the very end."

"And I shall." Sam said with a smile. "You will see."

*******

Months drew by and the days began to grow long as Frodo found himself once again lost among the pains of his past. He held fast to his gem many evenings as he sat before the fire in his room with Sam at his side. Sam still kept to his promise not to leave Frodo and it seemed his need for him to be near his side grew more with the passing of each day. Sam would often notice Frodo reaching to his neck with his hand when the other clutched at his gem. He seemed to be searching for something that was not there. Clinging to the memory of the gift that Lily had left for him before his passing over the sea. The one thing that had long ago filled him with life and merriment. Perhaps the very thing that prolonged his pain and need for healing since it tore at him so after he cast it away into the sea. Yet this evening Frodo became distant and he drew himself away from Sam sitting near the fire softly humming to himself. Sam stayed with him long into the night until the fire faded and Frodo found his way to the comfort of his bed. When sleep had finally befallen Frodo, Sam left his side quietly slipping out of his room and into the hall. There he found Gandalf sitting in a chair next to Frodo’s door, smoking his pipe.

"Good evening Samwise." Gandalf replied as Sam closed the door. "It has been some time since I have found you alone without Frodo at your side."

"That is has." Sam spoke softly as not to wake Frodo. "He sleeps now as should I."

"You may." Gandalf said standing from his chair. "But I would like a word with you before you venture off into the comforts of your room. Come walk with me a moment Sam."

Gandalf then made his way down the hall and Sam followed closely behind. They walked down the long corridor until they came into Elrond’s great hall that overlooked the sea. There Gandalf came to stand near a window looking out into the dark night.

"All the pain of your past has left your heart dear Sam." Gandalf began. "Have you not yet found your peace within this place of healing?"

"I have." Sam spoke softly coming to Gandalf’s side. "For many years now my heart has been light, free of all the memories of the past. But I have not yet chosen to leave this world. I can not. Not yet anyhow. I made a promise to you and Mr. Frodo that I shall not break."

"One that was spoken so many years ago." Gandalf replied. "Don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee I said to you before your journey began. And all these years later you still vow to hold that promise true?"

"That I do." Sam said looking up to Gandalf. "I can not pass on and leave Mr. Frodo alone. The pain that would come to his heart would never allow him to find the end to his healing. He said himself that I am the only thing he has left in this world and I don’t mean to take that away from him."

Gandalf stood silent as he gazed out the window taking in a deep breath. He then turned away looking down to Sam as he kneeled down before him, placing his hands upon his shoulders.

"That day for him may never come Samwise." Gandalf replied looking deep into Sam’s eyes. "He has been hurt so deep that I think he may never find what it is he truly needs to be healed. Frodo has lost so much within his life and in a way it seems as though he has lost life itself. He is just moving on through time as a shadow of forgotten memories that never seem to fade away. His only thought has been of that necklace he wore around his neck before you came to Eldamar."

"Lily’s necklace." Sam whispered. "The one that bore her mother’s ring."

"Yes." Gandalf replied. "He spoke of her often through the years while you still stayed within the Shire. His love for her was deep. Deeper than the many fathoms of the sea before you dear Sam. In his heart he knew he could never have Lily as his own and it pained him so knowing that. Together with the wounds of his past and the ones held within his heart he knew that he must leave the Shire. He would never find peace there he said. As the days drew on as he dwelled here with us he seemed to have found his healing. He spoke of you often and he knew he would stay among us until you arrived and years passed with you in his company once again."

"So he held on just for me." Sam replied softly.

"That he did Sam." Gandalf said. "He never left my side, not for a moment. Frodo told me time and time again. And I don’t mean to leave his. Not if I have to wait another hundred years. He needs to hear it from you Sam. You need to tell him that he can go on without you and that Lily will be there waiting for him when he does. Maybe then he will find he no longer has the need for healing."

Sam looked to Gandalf his face wet with tears. He leaned on his staff trying hard to keep himself standing as his heart grew heavy. He so longed to spend many more years with Frodo but he knew the time had long drawn by when Frodo should have passed on.

"Sam?" Gandalf muttered bringing Sam away from his thoughts.

"In the morning." Sam whispered. "I have not the heart to tell him now."

"So be it." Gandalf said patting Sam lightly on the shoulder. "I shall see you with the ‘morrow Samwise. Sleep well."

Gandalf then made his way down the long hall, leaving Sam alone among his tears as he stood within the shadows of the moonlight.

*******

As the evening drew on Sam made his way to his room hoping to catch some sleep before the rising of the sun. Yet as Sam lay upon his bed his mind filled with many thoughts keeping him from finding rest. He could hear the sound of the sea far below his window, rushing in to the shore and pulling away with the rise and fall of the moon. He thought of Frodo and the words that he so longed not to say with the coming day. Sam sighed deeply sitting up on his bed peering out the window to the shores of Eldamar below. He then came down from the bed reaching for his staff that lay against his chair. He took it in his hand and made his way to the door opening it slowly. As the door creaked open Sam looked out into the hall to see if anyone was watching. Not a soul stirred within the halls as Sam quietly made his way out of his room and down the long corridor to Elrond’s great hall. Sam walked through the darkness guided by the light of the silver moon shining in through the many windows along the way. He soon came to the doorway that led outside to the path that fell down the hill to the shore below. Sam’s feet fell heavy upon the grass as he made his way down to the shoreline glistening with the shadows of the stars high above. Sam stood near the waters edge as the swells of the sea came in around his feet cooling his body with their every touch. He seemed lost within a dream as he looked out over the endless waters shining under the light of the moon hanging among the shimmering stars. Sam closed his eyes as a soft voice from the past echoed within the night bringing with it the image of Lily’s tender face in his mind…

"Sam." Her voice whispered drawing tears to Sam’s eyes.

"I’m here." Sam replied softly to the voice within his heart.

"I never thought I would see you again." She said with a faint hush. "So many dreams have filled my mind while you have been away."

"As they have within mine." Sam whispered to himself.

"I’ve seen him often in my dreams." Lily’s voice spoke quietly.

"Frodo?" Sam replied.

"Yes." The voice answered carried within the wind. All then became silent as Sam felt the waters drawing in around his feet once more.

"This will bring him comfort Sam." Lily’s faint voice replied. "He needs it now more so than I."

Sam then opened his eyes as he felt something come against his feet. He looked down to the shore and there resting on the pearlescent sand was a bottle sealed with a cork. Sam fell to his knees and took the bottle within his hands holding it up into the light of the moon. Inside a golden band caught the moonlight as Sam wept heavily drawing the glass vessel to his chest. Sam rose to his feet and looked high into the sky whispering a soft "thank you" to the stars within the heavens. He held tight to the bottle as he made his way back up the shore and onto the path towards home. It was time to give back to Frodo what he so longed to have…the end to his healing and his dear sweet Lily.

Silence filled the air as Sam came up over the hill and through the doors leading into Elrond’s hall. He walked slowly through the candlelit corridors until at last coming to rest before Frodo’s door. There he paused, gazing down at the bottle he held within his hand. The glowing lights of the candles shone within the glass as they danced along the golden band. Sam then looked to Frodo’s door and sighed deeply as he reached for the knob turning it slowly. The door opened without a sound as Sam quietly made his way into the room. Sam closed the door gently and then walked towards Frodo as he lay sound asleep within his bed. He went to Frodo’s bedside and lit a candle that sat upon his side table. When the warm glow filled the room Sam stood looking at Frodo as he lay on his back with his hands behind his head. Frodo then came over onto his side facing Sam as he still slept, reaching up to his chest and taking his gem within the grasp of his hand. A smile passed over his lips as he breathed in deeply seemingly lost in a dream. Sam had not the heart to wake him so he sat in the chair that stood at Frodo’s bedside. He was there for what seemed like hours watching as Frodo took in each breath and releasing it once again past his lips. He looked down into his lap as he fingered at the bottle that lay across his legs. Sam pulled the cork from the neck and turned the bottle over shaking the necklace inside out into his open hand. The band still held a bright golden luster and the chain its silver gleam. Sam then placed the bottle on the floor and looked to Frodo as he still lay sleeping. Sam’s eyes filled with tears as he wondered if his healing would need to begin again if Frodo should pass on. He glanced down to the necklace within his hand and then to Frodo reaching over to his forehead. Sam gently brushed away his curls that had fallen over his face. Frodo’s eyes opened and looked to Sam as the candlelight shone upon his face. A tender smiled came to his lips as he took Sam’s hand away holding it within his own.

"Sam." Frodo whispered softly. "What brings you here. I thought you would have gone many hours ago."

"That I had Mr. Frodo." Sam replied drawing his hand away from Frodo’s. "But my mind wandered keeping me from finding rest."

"You too." Frodo said sitting up taking in a deep breath. "I have been lost within many dreams this evening that have woke me time and again." Frodo was silent for a moment as he looked away from Sam and out his window. "I was lost within one when you woke me just now. I heard a voice calling out to me that was soft and gentle…a voice from the past that I faintly remember."

"Lily’s?" Sam whispered.

"How did you know?" Frodo replied quickly turning around.

"She spoke to me too." Sam choked through his tears. "I found my way to the shore this evening. It is there where I heard her voice carried upon the wind." He then drew his hand up from his lap closing his fingers over the treasure within. Sam put his hand to his chest and sighed in deeply closing his eyes. He could not speak for his heart weighed heavy as many thoughts filled his mind. Tears continued to fall catching the glow from the candlelight within them as they drew their way down Sam’s cheeks.

"What is it Sam?" Frodo replied coming down from his bed. He placed his hands on Sam’s shoulders and he opened his eyes staring blankly at Frodo for quite some time.

"Come now Samwise talk to me, what happened while you were there?" Frodo spoke gently as he dried the tears from Sam’s eyes. Sam said nothing as he reached up to his face taking Frodo’s hand within his own. He grasped Frodo’s hand tightly and then turned his hand over letting the candlelight shine upon his open palm. Sam then took his hand away from his chest and placed it into Frodo’s. Frodo’s hand began to quiver as Sam opened his fingers letting free what was held within his grasp. He then folded Frodo’s fingers over the precious treasure that lay in his hand. Sam looked up to Frodo’s face as he drew his hand away slowly opening his fingers to reveal what lied within. Frodo fell to the floor lost in a veil of tears as he clutched Lily’s ring close to his heart. Sam then came down from his chair and kneeled on the floor before his dear friend. Frodo looked up from his hand and into Sam’s eyes, his face wet with tears. He tried to speak but no words found their way past his trembling lips.

"She said she seen you often within her dreams Frodo." Sam replied trying to hold back his cries. "She said this would bring you comfort, for she had no need of it any longer. It was then when the bottle you cast out into the sea so many years ago came up onto the shore resting near my feet. When I picked it up the moonlight shone upon the band that still rested within."

Frodo pulled his hand away from his chest and opened his fingers looking upon Lily’s ring. His eyes then found their way back to Sam’s face as he dried away his own tears.

"So many years dear Sam." Frodo finally spoke. "My heart has so longed for this moment when I could once again have what was lost to me so long ago." Frodo then opened his hand as he looked upon Lily’s necklace. A faint whisper then seemed to come to him…a soft voice carried in the evening breeze. Frodo closed his eyes as a new peace came over him warming his heart and soul.

"It has been so long dear Frodo." The voice spoke softly. "I never thought I would see you again."

A smile came to Frodo’s face as Sam looked upon him. He seemed lost within a dream once more.

"I have been waiting for you." The gentle voice replied. "It is time for you to come home."

Frodo reached his hand out before him, as his eyes still lay closed. He seemed to be reaching for something that was not there.

"Lily…" Frodo whispered out to the voice as he grasped at the air. With a heavy heart Sam reached out to Frodo’s hand taking it in his own. Frodo opened his eyes looking at Sam as his heart pounded within his chest. He felt as though he had almost taken his last breath of air before being drawn back once again. Frodo then touched Sam’s face as a tear fell from his eye and onto his hand.

Sam could not speak for each word he tried to force by his lips choked back among his tears. Sam then took Frodo’s hands in his and sighed deeply. It was time for him to tell Frodo that he had to let go. Sam closed his eyes and then opened them again taking in a deep breath.

"The time has come." Sam whispered looking into Frodo’s eyes. "You can let me go Mr. Frodo. You will find that she will be there waiting for you with Bilbo at her side."

"Oh Sam." Frodo sobbed. "The time has long passed when I should have let go but I could not bare the thought of leaving you alone."

"I shall never be alone." Sam said putting his hand to his heart. "You are here as is everyone else that I have grown to love throughout the years. As I shall be with you." Sam then reached down to Frodo’s hand drawing his fingers over Lily’s ring as Frodo placed it upon the third finger of his left hand.

"We will meet once again dear Frodo just as a star will come to shine upon your meeting with Bilbo." Sam replied. "My healing came long ago but I would not pass until you found yours. It is here upon your hand, the voice calling you home."

Frodo looked to Sam his eyes saddened with tears. He then fell within Sam’s embrace resting his head on his shoulder as Sam drew him in close. Sam could feel Frodo’s breath upon his neck as his heart beat heavily within his chest.

"She is here." Frodo said softly. "Standing before me, her arms open wide."

Sam closed his eyes tightly as tears came forth with the pain of knowing at last Frodo’s time had come.

"Farewell dear Samwise Gamgee." Frodo faintly whispered into Sam’s ear. "Until we meet again."

Frodo drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes as Lily’s necklace fell to the floor from his still hand. Sam pulled Frodo close as he lost himself within his sorrow. His eyes looked out through the window into the midnight sky. A single star then began to shine brightly where one had not shone before. A faint smile came to Sam’s face. Frodo had at last found his healing and he held true to his promise till the very end. Until the final farewell.

The night had long faded and the morning had rose and passed as an eerie silence came through the halls of Eldamar. Gandalf had long awaited to see Sam with the morning and as the hours passed by he still had yet to see him. His heart weighed heavy as he made his way through Elrond’s hall and down the long corridor that led to the hobbit’s rooms. As Gandalf walked down the hall he could see Sam’s door standing open swaying in the gentle breeze that came through the open window within his room. Gandalf looked inside but Sam was no where to be found. His covers lie tossed on his bed and his pillow was on the floor. A candle sat on the sidetable next to the bed, melted to a nub after being left to burn through the night. Gandalf sighed deeply and turned towards Frodo’s door that lay across the hall. The door was closed and seemingly had yet to be opened from when it was last shut the night before. He made his way to the door reaching up to the knob. He turned it slowly and pushed it open gently as it creaked with old age. His heart than sank within the depths of his chest as he looked inside the room. There lying on the floor near the bed was Sam with Frodo at his side. Frodo’s hands lay folded upon his chest as the sunlight fell over his pale face. Sam was lying on his side next to Frodo with his hand resting over Frodo’s. Gandalf came to their side and kneeled down to the floor gently touching Sam’s hand. It was then when Sam slowly opened his eyes.

"He’s gone." Sam whispered softly as he looked to Gandalf whose face grew long with sadness. Sam then lifted his hand away from Frodo’s revealing Lily’s ring that rested upon his finger. The golden band shone brightly within the light of the sun as Sam sat up looking at Frodo’s now peaceful face. A soft smile seemed present on his lips as he lay on the floor among the amber rays of the sun. Gandalf reached down to Frodo and placed his hand over Lily’s ring.

"After Frodo had fallen asleep last night I could not rest so I came down to the shore." Sam said drying his eyes that still held tears from the eve before. "I heard her calling to me…and then that bottle that Frodo cast out into the sea with Lily’s ring inside washed up onto the sand. I came back here and woke Frodo, telling him what I said I would. I gave him Lily’s necklace and I told him his healing was over and that it was time for him to go."

"And you held your promise until the very end." Gandalf replied softly.

"Almost." Sam sighed deeply, his face wet with tears. He then placed his hand back over Frodo’s and laid back down at his side closing his eyes tightly. Gandalf then rested his hand upon Sam’s head running his hand over his thick grey curls.

"Dear Samwise your time too has long past." Gandalf said quietly. "Go now and be at peace."

Sam opened his eyes and looked at Gandalf as if to say goodbye. Gandalf reached to his face drying his tears as he closed his eyes once more, lying his head on Frodo’s chest. Sam took in a deep breath as tender voices called to him from afar. There before him stood Frodo, his arms open wide with Rose, Lily and Bilbo at his side. Gandalf watched as a soft smile came over Sam’s lips.

"I made a promise." Sam faintly whispered as he drew in a deep breath. "Don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don’t mean to." Sam whispered again. "I don’t mean to." Sam’s voice then fell silent; for he was at peace. He had at last come home to his dear Master Frodo.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List