Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Bid Joy Return  by OjosVerdes

Disclaimer: Characters are not mine. Characterization of minor characters is mine, but that could probably be contested in court, so I won’t claim even that.

AN:  Once again, forgive the incredibly inane chapter title.  *sighs*  I'm not much of one for titles.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~

The drawer squealed, protesting its sudden wrench from comfortable disuse as Eglantine gave it a sharp tug. "Blasted desk," she mumbled, glancing furtively across the room toward the bed, hoping she hadn’t awakened Paladin. He stirred, mumbled, then rolled over and recommenced his hoarse snores. Lani smiled at her husband as she slipped a sheet of paper out of the drawer. Reaching over to uncover the inkwell, she dipped her pen and began to write.

Dear Peregrin,

Oh, how I hope this note reaches you before you leave Buckland. I have positively marvelous news! But first, dear, how are things? I hope you and Di are well. Best wishes to you both. Do say hello to everyone for me.

Dear little Hazel was quite disappointed that you were not here when they arrived to visit, but her disappointment did not last long, as we received some most unexpected visitors last night. You will never guess who, though I’m quite tempted to make you try anyway. But you know your mother. I can never keep a secret, no matter how I might wish it. And in this case, I don’t wish it at all. I’m very anxious to tell you. But perhaps I shall drag it out a bit longer…

Or perhaps not. You’ll know soon enough, and I do so want to be the one to tell you. So here it is then, Pip. Your cousin Frodo is come home. As I said, he came in last night, with Sam Gamgee – they’re on the way to Hobbiton. His arrival was quite a surprise, as you had seemed so sure when you told us he wouldn’t be back this time. Your father took it harder than I, though – I’m afraid he was so surprised as to be a bit snappish. But he is glad to have Frodo back, I can tell.

Well, wherever the boy was this time – and I intend to hear his whole story sometime, though not just yet --, he’s back now, and he says it is for good. Perhaps he’ll finally settle down…but he’s only just home, there’s time enough for matchmaking later.

I can’t wait to see you, son, but don’t let that keep you from stopping at Bag End on your way home. I do hope you’re having a wonderful time. All my love,

Mum

Eglantine folded the letter and, leaving it on the desk, returned her attention to the open drawer to rummage about for sealing wax. The rustle of stacks of paper as she dug through them awakened Paladin. He stirred and sat up, yawning. "Nnngh," he mumbled, glancing outside. "It’s early. What are you doing?"

"Writing Pippin. If I want to be the first to tell him about Frodo, this letter needs to go out with the early post."

"Ah. Well, if you’re going to wake me up, what time is breakfast?"

"Whenever you want it. Frodo and Sam wanted to be home by lunch, so I arranged to have breakfast early. You can go eat now, if you’d like. I’m going as soon as I finish this letter."

"I’ll wait for you then," Paladin said, stepping out of bed, snatching his dressing gown, and picking his way across the chilly floor to his wife’s side. "Sealing wax is in the other drawer, Lani."

"No it isn’t, I put it – oh! You’re right!" she exclaimed as he brandished it triumphantly.

"I know I’m right. I cleaned the desk the other day."

"Well, that would explain why I couldn’t find a thing."

"No, dear, that has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the desk." Paladin laughed as his wife finished addressing her letter and brandished the dripping quill threateningly in his direction. She laughed with him, tossing the pen onto the blotter and crossing the room to her wardrobe.

"It’s good to see you in a better mood this morning, Paladin."

"I’m always in a good mood for you, Eglantine," he said, looking rather like a shamed little boy.

"Yes, dear, but it would do you worlds of good to try out some of that charm on someone other than me."

"We shall see. But first, breakfast, or I shan’t be cheerful for anyone." With that, Paladin ducked out the door, leaving Eglantine alone. She fairly beamed with satisfaction as she dressed. This was bound to be a good day.

As Lani left the bedchamber, Hazel ran up to her side. "Gramma, Frodo and Mr. Gamgee are ready to leave! Hurry up!" She snatched up her grandmother’s hand with an impatient yank. "Come on!"

"Hazel, they’re not going to leave without saying goodbye. Calm down, dear." Following the lass down the hall, Eglantine drew up short as she came upon a most unlikely scene: Paladin cautiously returning Frodo’s hug. Her good spirits bolstered, she hurried the rest of the way to engulf her nephew in an embrace of her own. "Frodo," she said as she released him, "do be careful, and remember to write. Oh, and speaking of writing, I’ve written Pippin, so he should be by Bag End soon."

"Good!"

"Yes, yes…and there was something else…what was it? Oh, yes! I had the cook pack you a lunch, did she give it to you?"

"Mm-hmm. I had to supervise Sam’s packing, to make sure he didn’t get into it. It smells marvelous."

"That’s good. Well, then, your ponies are waiting. You should go, if you’re to be home by teatime. Goodbye, Frodo. We’ll see you soon."

"Goodbye, Aunt Lani, Uncle Paladin. Goodbye, Pervinca, Tom, Hazel." After a last round of hugs and handshakes, Frodo and Sam set off down the lane at a trot, enjoying the fresh breeze in their faces.

"You know, Sam," Frodo said, as the morning bustle of Tuckborough faded into the distance, "I’ve been thinking."

"Really, Mister Frodo? I didn’t think you did that often."

"Now Sam, if you’re going to tease, I shan’t tell you what I was thinking, and while that might not be any great loss, I have a feeling it would disappoint you all the same."

"All right then, I’ll be serious. What sort of marvelous thoughts are running through your head?"

"Well, that’s hardly serious, but I suppose it must do. I’ve just been thinking about how happy I’ve felt the last few days. The last time I was riding home to Bag End, all I wanted was to go back to life the way I’d known it, just pick up where I’d left off. But somehow, I never could. I was too wounded, I suppose. So I left. And the West was wonderful, Sam. Truly, I don’t think anything could be as beautiful as a sunrise on Eressëa. But it wasn’t home. It was painless, it was happy, but it wasn’t home. Still, I knew I could never go back home, so I was content. Deep down, I longed for my life here, but I was content. And then, out of nowhere, I got a chance to come back…to come home. And now here I am, riding back to Bag End once again. But last time, I knew it was only temporary, that I’d be leaving again. This time, I know it’s forever. Whether I want it or not, it’s permanent this time. I’m home for good. When Bilbo first asked me if I would return, I thought that that part, the very permanence of it, the knowing that, pain or no, I was stuck here, would be horrible. I very nearly didn’t come because of it. But now I’m here, knowing that, come what may, I’m home, it’s a wonderful thing." Frodo stopped, caught his breath, sighed. "I’m afraid all that didn’t make much sense."

"Oh, no, Frodo," Sam looked over at his friend, blinking back tears. "It was the most sense I’ve heard in a long time." The two rode along silently for a good while, weighing the words between them, before Sam spoke up again. "Frodo, do you remember what you told me at the Havens, just before you sailed? You said ‘All that I had and might have had I leave to you.’"

"I remember."

Sam smiled knowingly. "Well, Frodo, I’ve been thinking about that, and I’ve decided that I have plenty of my own. I give you yours back. Make good use of it, and you’ll be as busy and as happy as anyone can be. I can guarantee it."

AN: Well, there it is. Hope you all liked it, and my apologies, once again, for the wait. With school ending soon, I can only pray the intervals between chapters won’t be as long.

~*~*~*~*~*~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List