Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Return of Maeglin  by Calairiel Malromiel

After the return of Maglor and the new job opportunity Mandos offered Fingolfin, which had changed him forever, Mandos called his newest acolyte because he had a situation that only Ńolofinwë could assist him with.

 

And when he appeared with a smirk, drawling, “You rang?” Mandos was immediately glad he’d recruited this irreverent Child of Ilúvatar. Ages of fawning maiar was frankly boring. This ellon would barely acknowledge his position, let alone grovel and fawn.

 

“I did! And you answered. I must say part of me is rather surprised.” he smirked.

 

“Well, as this is the first time you’ve called, I was curious enough to answer. Now, if you could just point me in the direction you’d like me to herd the atani, I’ll get right on it.” 

 

“Unfortunately, that’s not why I’ve called you.” and then standing he directed Fingolfin over to a bower created by the shady trees and draping vines of wisteria next to the waterfall that none but those with the Sight given by Námo, himself, could perceive. Seating themselves, Námo poured tea for a completely mystified Fingolfin. He was quite sure he hadn’t been called to bear the Doomsman company.

 

Privy to his thoughts, Námo smiled and said, “You’re correct. It’s not your company I crave. Believe it or not, I actually socialize.” and before Fingolfin could digest that, he went on, “No. The reason I called you is with regards to a delicate matter and you are the only person that can assist me. Or at the very least give me counsel. This is in regards to your grandson, Maeglin.” and tried not to smile when Fingolfin spewed out his tea and gave him an incredulous look.

 

“What do you want me to do about that?” Fingolfin exclaimed.

 

“I’m not sure - which is why I called you. Look, this whole situation is much more complicated than the usual conflagration that constitutes your family dynamics.”

 

“Most of which were hardly our fault!” Fingolfin pointed out.

 

“Oh, I know it. I don’t know what my fellows were thinking when they made their pronouncements. I told them just to leave you Híni Ilúvataro alone so you could sort it out yourselves. That the situation with your father’s first wife was not going to be a singular event. That it wouldn't necessarily be for an isolated cause such as death. Irreconcilable rifts would be far more likely and even less likely to be resolved.” 

 

“That is true enough. Plenty of marriages didn’t survive even before the Trees were killed.” Fingolfin said. His hadn’t been one of them. His wife had stayed for the sake of her friend who’s people had just been dealt a devastating blow through no fault of their own. They had agreed he should go to look after their children and people. He had regretted that decision more than once.

 

Sighing, Námo continued, “Nobody listened to me, of course. I mean, if they hadn’t made such drama out of your father wishing to remarry most of this could have been avoided. Finwë was still young and understandably wished for companionship and a large family. I'm sure his first born could have been counseled to accept these things happen and be glad his father loved him enough to give him a mother and siblings to share in a joyous household. I’m convinced my brother could have helped the boy accept that while his loss was grievous, the joy he could look forward to would make his life worthwhile.”

 

“Yes, but I doubt he would have been so driven to excel if you’d done that. While it would have been nice to have a big brother I could look up to and love, it was his passion that ultimately led to us being in the place we were needed because Morgoth was always going to happen. And that, in turn, led to people being born who saved our world.”

 

“And there it is!” Námo exclaimed, impressed that Fingolfin saw the entire picture, “It was, of course, all part of the music. And that being said, your daughter meeting the Unbegotten ellon, Eöl, was also part of that Song. Can you tell me anything at all about that situation?”

 

“Not a lot. Oh, I’ve heard it said that hers was a forced union, but we both know that is impossible. Especially when they brought forth a child. Both parents need to be involved in that decision and both need to act in concert to create life. What I can tell you is both knew something happened when he was a child that...warped his fëa and neither knew what that was or how to fix it.”

 

“Have you spoken to his father at all?” Námo asked.

 

“Yes. He’s still an odd character, but I understand him much more now. I can see what my daughter saw in him. He’s intense in much the same way Tyelko is intense. Was intense. His stay with the Sindar seems to have forever changed him. Regardless, Tyelko was her best friend when they were children. But I have a question for you. Why does Elu Thingol count Eöl as kin when there is no blood kinship there?”

 

“Because all the Unbegotten decided they were kin - literally. There were only one hundred and forty four of them in the beginning and that is a very exclusive club if you think about it. So the first children of the Unbegotten were all taught to refer to the other Unbegotten as aunt or uncle. In other words, their kin. Lenwë, Morwë, Nurwë, Ingwë, Finwë, Elwë, Olwë and Elmo would have all been part of that first generation of children and would have all called Eöl and others like him uncle and claim him as kin.” Námo explained.

 

“Wow! It makes a lot more sense how annoyed he became with Thingol for demanding his sword as price to leave Doriath and settle in Nan Elmoth.” Fingolfin exclaimed.

 

“Yes, indeed. It was cheeky and disrespectful. Eöl should have been shown respect as one of the Unbegotten. Especially as Thingol had been raised to show deference to him as such.”

 

“Well, you should also know that my daughter didn’t stand in front of her son to take the spear Eöl threw to kill his son. Maeglin pulled her in front of him to use as a shield. Apparently, Eöl has the far-sight and foresaw the death and destruction of Gondolin that his son's action would cause. Which is also why he was so determined to take himself and his son out of that city.” Fingolfin said.

 

“Oh dear! And I have here the very nebulous Fëa of Lómion. And by nebulous, I mean he’s not all there. At least by what I can determine. It’s like a large part of his experiences, those things that ended up causing him to fail, have been removed. Or they just didn’t come with him. Regardless, he’s not a fully formed personality and the only solution I can come up with is to have him be reborn.” and then he sat back and looked at Fingolfin to gage his reaction.

 

“You want my daughter to carry and give birth to him - again? That’s asking rather a lot. Can’t he be re-embodied and we can fill in the gaps in his personality?”

 

“No and I also think he needs to be born into a stable family. I don’t suppose there is any chance the two can be reconciled?” and tried not to smile as Fingolfin groaned as though in great pain.

 

~0~

 

“No!” Aredhel said flatly.

 

“But he’s your child. Don’t you wish to think it over?” Fingolfin asked.

 

“No, atar! And please don’t ask me again! I know my own mind on this matter and I will not yield.” Aredhel stated firmly.

 

“You hate Eöl so much then?” Fingolfin asked sadly.

 

“Hate him? No atta. I don’t hate him at all. But I also know we are not suited for one another. And were you to ask him he would say the same. He needs someone to be his life partner and that is not me. I don’t value smiths or smithing - no, don’t look at me like that atar! You know I regard your glass differently. Even things you call useful but unlovely are beautiful to my eye. And it’s not that I despise smiths. I just can’t get excited when they have a breakthrough or complete a project they’ve dreamt about. My son shared that passion with his atar and I just found the whole of it boring. I prefer to ride about and enjoy the wind in my hair. You know that.”

 

“Have you and Tyelko rode out since his return?”

 

“Yes. But it’s not the same since he doesn’t enjoy hunting any longer. I may have to look into myself to understand why. But I’m happy for him and his new contentment in his life. Even Huan has rejoined him and he appears quite happy now.”

 

“Well, I’m glad he’s found joy in his world. And yes - I’ve recently been informed by your brother that all Teleri view us as barbarians because we eat meat. Though I have to admit I’ve also lost my own taste for it.” Fingolfin admitted.

 

“Probably because you’re one of the ainu now.” and at her father’s alarmed expression, she added wryly, “You don’t think it’s gone unnoticed, do you, atta? Especially when the maiar make no attempt not to bow their head to you in acknowledgement. We’d have to be pretty thick not to have noticed.”

 

Sighing, Fingolfin said, “Lord Námo will be most displeased with me. He told me only to tell your amil and then the very next thing that happened was I had to tell your uncle. Now it appears it’s an open secret.”

 

“But you didn’t tell us. Lord Námo will have to find something else to be displeased about.” Aredhel dismissed and Fingolfin chuckled as she was definitely his daughter!

 

Continuing, Aredhel said, “Look. I don’t see why another ellith can’t be amil to Lómion. If you’d like I’ll go with you to make the case to Eöl. I have a feeling that he’s finally ready to take the elf-maid Nellas to spouse. On the surface you’d think they have nothing in common, but they’ve always had a deep bond of friendship and respect. That is a better foundation to start a relationship than the one of physical attraction that was our beginning.” and then grinned when her father flinched.

 

No father wishes to hear that their daughter is capable of lust! But she truly didn’t regret her time with Eöl. He was beautiful and hot with deep wells of passion that she would forever treasure as a memory. Just not as a husband!

 

~0~

 

The talk with Eöl was…..interesting, to say the least. Was he ready to wed? Yes! Yes he was. Was the Lady Nellas willing to bear the fëa of Maeglin? Not entirely.

 

“I want you to understand we are not unwilling, Lord Ńolofinwë,” Eöl began, “It’s just that you have to understand this child will still be your grandchild. His fëa is still the result of the joining of myself and Írissë and it will be hard enough to explain all of this as is. I also fear what will become of him should he be recognized when he reaches his majority.”

 

“Why can’t we decide he is a daughter this time around?” Nellas posed, looking at Eöl with a lifted brow. She was a lovely ellith with russet hair and it was plain she was also one of the Unbegotten making what his daughter had told him a point of clarity that he’d not have understood before now. Fingolfin also found it odd that he’d met three of the Unbegotten in the last couple of decades when he’d never run into a single one his entire span in Beleriand in the First Age. And all three of these had been of the Nelyar Clan. Those who had become the Teleri.

 

But that was not to his purpose. And getting to the matter at hand, he said, “I actually think that is a fine idea, my lady! And I also don’t see why you both can’t be her parents. From what Lord Námo has indicated, there is very little of the original Maeglin left. Not enough to re-embody him, so it’s not even a matter of missing memories and experiences that can be filled in later. And if any act of Will is involved in reconstituting that fëa then she won’t even retain even a superficial resemblance to what Maeglin was.” Fingolfin said, noting Eöl’s silver hair and Nellas’ russet and both had deep blue eyes. So it was highly unlikely that this new personality would trigger memories in anybody.

 

The two silently conferred and it appeared a consensus was reached fairly quickly, for, “We’ll do it. We’ll need to wed first of course. Would you care to perform the rites?” Eöl asked, the irony not lost on him if the amusement in his eyes was anything to go by.

 

“Me?! Why me?”

 

“Why not you? You are ainu now and we accept your ascension. It gives you Hierarchy over us and it would take too long to find our Chieftain, Enel.” Nellas said.

 

Sighing, Fingolfin said, “Does everyone know?”

 

“Of course not. But how did you think we wouldn’t know?” Eöl asked in amusement.

 

“Point made. And I would be happy to perform the Rites for you.” Fingolfin said.

 

~0~

 

“Well?” Námo asked.

 

“My daughter refuses to even discuss the matter. She is done with the whole thing, though she will insist she doesn’t have a poor opinion of Lord Eöl.”

 

“Oh dear! That doesn’t sound promising.”

 

“Indeed, but she did advise me that Eöl was ready to wed again. Someone he’d known in his youth. A maid by the name of Nellas who is also of the Unbegotten.”

 

“I don’t understand. Is your daughter suggesting she give up the child after birth?” Námo asked.

 

“No! I just told you she won’t bear him. And Lady Nellas wasn’t altogether keen on the idea either. Neither was Eöl. He insisted the child would still be my grandchild and he feared the repercussions of such a confusing upbringing and the familial connections that simply couldn’t be explained without informing the child of his previous life and all that went with it. He also feared that people would recognize him once he reached his majority and be unkind to him.”

 

Sighing, Námo said, “I was hoping his isolation would be enough to protect him. Doesn’t Lord Eöl again live within the shadowed lands of Fairinor?”

 

“Nay. He lives near my granddaughter, Arwen. You could say he lives in between Lórien and Fairinor, so he belongs to no realm and under no one's jurisdiction. And after what you’ve told me I can understand why. He also doesn't live under the shade. He has a very nice and pleasant homestead.” 

 

“So there is no solution, then.”

 

“I didn’t say that.” Fingolfin smirked and Námo rolled his eyes, for he’d fallen quite neatly into Fingolfin’s little game. Well, that’s why he wanted the ellon in the first place. To liven things up a bit. And Ńolofinwë was impulsive enough that it was hard to See what he’d do or say next. So, deciding to play along, Námo said, “Fine. Lay it on me.”

 

“The Lady Nellas would be willing to carry the remnants of the fëa and the two have decided that if they were to reform him they’d choose to make him a her. An ellith. They even have a name picked out and if they do so she won’t physically resemble anything at all that could point to Maeglin being the original.”

 

“That is an elegant solution. It would actually solve many potential problems. Have they wed yet?” Námo said approvingly.

 

“They have. I performed the Binding myself.”

 

“You? Why you?”

 

“They acknowledged my rank as an ascended ainu.” he smirked, knowing this would probably displease the Doomsman, adding, “Besides, it was either me or tracking down Enel to perform the Rites. They would acknowledge no other.”

 

“With so many knowing of your new status I should just make a general announcement and be done with it!” Námo said peevishly.

 

And as much as this amused Fingolfin he was quick to demur. “I would beg you to reconsider that. I think things should just be left as they are. If someone figures it out - fine. But I’d prefer it not be general knowledge, if you get my meaning.”

 

“You fear there'd be an uprising if it became known?”

 

“Well, my people don’t have the greatest respect for your Brotherhood. I would really hate it if they started saying I was one of them .”

 

“Couldn’t your brother’s help quell that?”

 

“No quelling, thank you very much! If you think about it only a handful know and most of those are my kin. And they’re not inclined to bandy it about. I’d prefer to keep it that way.”

 

“Very well. I suppose there’s no harm done. How soon before I can make the transfer?”

 

“Now would be a good time. Now that they’re wed I would suspect that you have a very slim window before the Lady is expecting their own.” Fingolfin said.

 

And then Námo got a faraway look in his eyes and said. “It is already too late. But that might be helpful in itself. If you’ll excuse me.” and he disappeared, only to return almost immediately, pointing at Fingolfin and adding, “Stay! Don't move.” and then he was gone again leaving Fingolfin feeling a bit like a wayward puppy.

 

When he returned he had a relieved look upon his face and said, “It is done. There will be two. Born as twins and the ellon will have his mother’s russet hair and will be named Kēwāthan and what was once Maeglin will be born as a silver haired ellith to be named Kēwāk’la and they will be New Fire and New light. And I see no difficulty with this at all. It is a perfect solution and I must thank you, Ńolofinwë! Had I done as I thought best it would have been a heavy handed and wrong. This has a divine symmetry to it that has Ilúvatar’s hand behind it. I have oft times wondered what nudged me to make that offer to you. Now I believe it wasn’t my idea at all.”

 

“It certainly let’s you off the hook, doesn’t it?” and felt pleased when the Doomsman burst out in merry laughter.

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List