Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Tapestry of Arda  by Kaylee Arafinwiel

For the "Weather" prompts. Snippets of the life of Aragorn II pre-War of the Ring.

***


Weather

Storm

Title: Tall Ships and Tall Kings

Challenge: Weather (Storm)

Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel

Characters: Elrond, Estel (Aragorn II)

Summary: Seven-year-old Estel inquires about the day’s history lesson.

 

“Tall ships and tall kings, three times three. What brought they from the foundered land…” Estel recited, as Elrond listened. “Adar, is it true the ships almost drowned?”

Elrond nodded. “It is true,” he replied. “Such a storm arose in the wake of the Downfall that the nine ships of the Faithful were overwhelmed. But for the grace of Ulmo they would have been lost ere they came to ground.”

“But the kings,” Estel protested, “if I was king, I would have told Ossë to play nicely.”

“Would you indeed?” Elrond asked. Estel wondered at his foster-father’s suddenly intent gaze.

 

Frost

 

Title: Deep Roots Are Not Touched
Challenge: Weather (Frost)
Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel
Characters: Elladan, Elrohir (mentioned), Estel (Aragorn II)
Summary: Seventeen-year-old Estel patrols the Trollshaws with his brothers and makes a startling discovery.

“’Ware, Estel!” The hiss pulled the foster-son of Elrond up short; he dropped into a crouch beside Elladan, behind a boulder at the cave-mouth.

Just in time – earth-shaking footsteps lumbered past, and Estel Elrondion shivered from more than the frosty chill of the mid-Rhiw night. “Have you seen those before, ‘Dan?”

“Elrohir and I have hunted teryg often in company with the Dúnedain,” Elladan whispered back. “What are you doing?”

Estel was only half-listening; a glint of tarnished silver in the troll-hoard caught his attention. “Elladan, what’s this?”

Elladan’s heart clenched as Estel showed him the bloodstained star-brooch. Ai, Arador!


Title: On to Rohan
Challenge: Weather (Mist)
Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel
Characters: Aragorn II, Thengel, OC
Summary: Aragorn, prompted by Gandalf to sojourn in the realms of his future allies, seeks a place at the court of Thengel King. Targon, my OC, is the child of Arador’s old age and seventeen years older than Aragorn; Dirhael and Ivorwen have cared for him as a son since his father’s death when he was fourteen.

T.A. 2957

 

The swirling mists that rose from Anduin lay heavy on the Emyn Muil, until dawn broke over the plains of Rohan. Aragorn rode beside Targon, glad of his elder kinsman’s company.

When they approached Meduseld, he tried not to stare, and once in the presence of Thengel King, bowed respectfully to his elder.

“Greetings, Thengel King,” Targon said, when bidden to speak. “I am Targon son of Dirhael; this is my nephew, Thorongil son of Beren. We come to take service with you, if you will accept us.”

Thengel smiled. “Be welcome, then. Come, we will speak more over luncheon.”

Title: Gondor Calls for Aid
Challenge: Weather (Showers)
Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel
Characters: Aragorn II, Théoden, Théodwyn, other daughters of Thengel and Morwen
Summary: Thorongil has sojourned in Rohan for a decade. Now thirty-seven, he’s ready to further his adventures in Gondor.

A/N: References to Fiondil’s Stirrings of Shadow – the names of Thengel and Morwen’s elder daughters come from there, and the reference to Denethor having met Thorongil and become sworn-brother to him is to that story as well. Théodfrid is twenty-three, Théodhild seventeen, Théodgiefu ten, and Théodwyn five.

T.A. 2968

“Earntungol, no, stay!”

The Dúnadan swung Théodwyn up into his arms. The youngest of Thengel and Morwen’s daughters clung to his neck, showers of tears mingling with the spring rain. “I know, little shieldmaid,” Thorongil murmured, speaking Rohirric. “I must go.” He had served Thengel nearly eleven years.

“Let me.” Twenty-year-old Théoden offered a wan smile, and Thorongil nodded, giving the aetheling the child. “We will miss you.”

“I will miss you too.” Thorongil clasped the prince’s shoulder. “Perhaps you will return to Mundburg.” He farewelled the princesses; Théodgiefu wept in Théodfrid and Théodhild’s arms.

His gwador, Denethor, was calling.

Title: A Promise in Lothlorien
Challenge: Weather – Sunshine
Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel
Summary: Twelve years later, Thorongil finds himself in the Golden Wood.

T.A. 2980

 

Aragorn left Gondor, and wandered alone in Lothlorien, clad in Elven raiment.

Midsummer came, and Thorongil found his way to Cerin Amroth, where Arwen was dancing alone.

He called joyfully, “Arwen, vanimelda!”

She ran to him. “When first we met, you were a boy,” she marveled. “Now you are truly a man, Estel.”

“A man with but one love,” he said. “What answer will you give, Undomiel?”

“I will cleave to you, Dúnadan,” Arwen murmured, and shivered despite the warmth of the sunshine. Aragorn placed the Ring of Barahir on her finger, kissing Arwen tenderly.

“Here is my pledge, beloved.”

Title: Giver of Hope
Challenge: Weather – Heatwave
Author: Kaylee Arafinwiel
Summary: Aragorn is sundered from one he loves.

T.A. 3007, Eriador, the Angle

 

The heat was blistering in the Angle that summer. As Arien’s cruel rays beat down on his brow, Aragorn found himself thinking of Harad. Perhaps, though, it was the pain in his heart that made this journey worse.

He entered the healer’s tent, where his mother lay in bed, unmoving. She seemed frail, aged beyond her hundred years – not such a long life, for a Dúnadaneth.

Naneth,” Aragorn murmured. “Have hope that all shall be well.”

Ónen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim,” Gilraen replied.

Tears stung Aragorn’s eyes. “Naneth, please…”

“Farewell, my Estel,” Gilraen whispered. “I love thee, ion nin.”





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List