Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Capturing a Star  by shirebound

CAPTURING A STAR

Chapter 5: Fireflies

"And you will read things out of the Red Book, and keep alive the memory of the age that is gone, so that people will remember the Great Danger and so love their beloved land all the more."

'The Grey Havens', The Return of the King


Midsummer’s Day, S.R. 1457

The wedding of Frodo-lad Gamgee and Hollyhock Burrows was talked about for a long time, but not for the usual reasons hobbits reminisced about a grand celebration and boundless feast. Sam Gamgee read to the guests from a thick book about the coronation of King Elessar, who had labored long years in secret to protect the Shire from dangers coming from Outside, and he reminded everyone that it was Frodo Baggins who had been given the honor of bearing the king's crown in his own hands.  He then spoke about the very tree around which they were assembled, gifted to the Shire by the wise Elven Queen Galadriel, who had foreseen that healing and peace would return to the Shire if all who faced the Darkness with courage and determination remained true. But speaking about how the Shire was connected to Outside and how close the Danger had been was just Mayor Sam's way, and wasn't what all the talk was about.

Neither was it all about how lovely the bride looked in her shimmering silken gown, or Mayor Sam’s son, very handsome in a deep blue waistcoat with silver buttons. It wasn't about the shouts of laughter when a small herd of barking dogs came racing excitedly through the Party Field on the trail of several squirrels -- who raced up the mallorn and watched calmly from above as the dogs tried to find them. And although the guests had been asked to assemble at twilight under a sky of bright, twinkling stars, a most unusual time for a wedding, even that strange thing did not set tongues to wagging, no indeed.

The most astonishing thing happened right after Frodo Baggins, who was conducting the ceremony, asked the couple to speak their vows to one another.  Before speaking, the groom gently touched Hollyhock's hair, flowing long and dark under a silvery net. He then reached up to the canopy above them to pass his hand across the braided flowers his mother had woven together.  He even touched the small bouquet in his bride's hands, and the flower in his own lapel. With a smile at Hollyhock, he then bowed his head and whispered something that not even the guests in the very front row could hear. After a few moments, there was a gasp from the crowd as the gems in the bride's hair began to glitter all on their own, and the flowers started to glow, and the happy couple's faces shone with lights that seemed to dance all about them.

"Magic!" more than one hobbit murmured uneasily to those around them. "Is that wizard here?" asked others.  More than one person looked about to see if old Gandalf, who many of them remembered, was standing somewhere in the shadows. But no wizard appeared, nor was any explanation given, and the ceremony continued with the bride and groom’s simple vows.

Inspired by the King's words, Frodo-lad said to Hollyhock, "My dear wife, I promise to value and reverence you above all gems and treasures, for as long as we live." Hollyhock, weeping with joy and feeling herself to be the luckiest hobbit lass who ever lived, responded, "My dear husband, no magic will ever be needed to keep our hearts entwined in love, for as long as we live." And when they kissed beneath the stars, a soft radiance enveloped them that those who saw it would never forget.

So it was that Frodo-lad Gamgee and Hollyhock Burrows began their long and happy life together bathed in Elvish light and Dwarvish craft, wearing gifts bestowed by royalty, their intentions and vows heard and affirmed by the Ring-bearer, and blessed by their loving families whose happiness could scarcely be contained.

As the wedded couple left the canopy to welcome their guests to a feast and celebration that would last well into the night, in Minas Tirith the King and Queen of the Reunited Kingdoms sat together under those very stars, watching the beautiful ceremony in the palantír. With great joy, they clasped one another's hands and wished the couple a lifetime of love as deep as their own.

*~*~*~*~

At the same time, outside the entrance to his realm in the Glittering Caves, Gimli son of Glóin stood contently blowing intricate smoke rings. He watched with fond eyes as two large and exuberant pups sniffed their way around a grassy sward, already quite at home.  They had been a gift to Gimli from King Ḗomer in gratitude for all the glad news of the hobbits he had brought to the Golden Hall… not to mention a crate of Rose Gamgee’s delicious and much-valued preserved goods.

Gimli admitted to himself that ithildin should only be awakened under very special circumstances, and with serious intent.  He knew that, who better?  But... well, just this once, he couldn't help himself. It was with great amusement and delight that he watched Merry and Pippin race about, the only dogs East of the Sea (or West, for that matter) with tiny bells on their collars that shone with bright, silvery sparkles that flitted here and there like fireflies twinkling in an Elvish night.

** END **

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List