Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Doriath (B2MEM 2011)  by Kaylee Arafinwiel

Summary: Little Prince Thranduil makes his first cake...(Recipe fic challenge)

A/N: Thank you to Dreamflower for helping me figure out how pie fillings and cake mixes might be made from scratch. Here's the yellow cake mix recipe Dreamflower gave me: http://baking.about.com/od/cakes/r/basicyellow.htm 

S.A. 2458, Greenwood.

"Ivy, Ivy, Ivy!" Thranduil burst into the palace kitchen, laughing as Mistress Ivoniel brushed her flour-dusted hands on her apron before scooping him up. "Ivy, Ada says I can help you," he said brightly, beaming as she cuddled him close.

"Did he, sweetling?" Ivoniel asked, hugging her charge. "And what does my elfling want to make, hmm?"

"What were you making, Ivy?" Thranduil asked. "Oh, your ada wanted some strawberry cake for tonight, my little star," Ivoniel replied. "Would you like to help me? I'm afraid we haven't got enough milk left, but even so, I think we can manage." Thranduil nodded. Safely set down on a kitchen stool by the countertop, he watched as Ivoniel deftly measured and sifted dry ingredients into a bowl, letting Thranduil pour them into a baking pan.

"Aren't you going to make them wet?" Thranduil asked, puzzled. His Ivy always made them wet first. "You'll see, sweetling," Ivoniel replied. "Run along and ask Raina to help you get a crock of strawberry preserves, won't you?" Thranduil nodded, and hopped down from the stool. Soon he was back with the kitchenmaid, 'helping' her carry the stone jar. Ivoniel measured out the preserved fruits and let Thranduil pour them, with plenty of juice, on top of the dry mixture. She cut pieces of butter and layered them on, then took the pan and set it in the oven, admonishing Thranduil to stay well away, as it was quite hot.

"Now, we just have to wait for an hour, little star," Ivoniel told him. The hour was an exciting one; Thranduil got to eat dinner in the kitchen so he could help Ivy watch over 'his' cake. When it was finally done and cooled, Ivy let Thranduil have the first piece, and Oropher the second. "This is the very best cake in the world, my elfling," Aran Oropher told his son, and Thranduil was happy to agree, glad he pleased his Ada.

*** 

RECIPE: Linda's Dump Cake (Linda is my mom :) ) AKA, in my not at all unbiased opinion, The Very Best Cake In The World

1 box yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines)

2 cans fruit pie filling (my mom generally uses cherry; I said strawberry here because it's Thrani's favorite)

1 cube butter, cut up

Walnuts or other chopped nuts (optional)

Directions: In a 9x13 baking pan, pour the yellow cake mix out and spread it out evenly.

Pour the cans of pie filling on top. Do not drain first.

Spread out the butter pieces across the top, followed by the nuts (if you want them)

Bake for 1 hr. in a 350 degree oven.

Remove from oven, cool, and cut into squares...about 10 or 12, I think.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List